Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandparents and childcare

(46 Posts)
dannio Tue 12-May-20 09:02:17

Hi all, just joined and was wondering if anyone could help with my query.
My daughter is a school teacher and is due to return to work mid June after maternity leave.
As grandparents we had always planned to look after our Grandson. We are both in our early 60s fit and with no underlying health issues.
Are we allowed to look after him due to the present restrictions.
If not how does she return as her boyfriend also works.

gillybob Tue 12-May-20 09:19:51

I’m in a similar situation . My DD has been told she will return to work at the end of the month but not necessarily to her own job. I would normally have my DGD (2) but obviously can’t according to the restrictions, which means she can’t return to work . Catch 22 .

Grannynannywanny Tue 12-May-20 09:25:32

Dannio sorry but it’s against current guidelines. The consideration being for your safety as your daughter could bring the virus home to you.

The only option I can think to suggest would be, as there will only be a few weeks of term left, could she maybe take that time as unpaid leave?

Then hope that the situation will have improved by September.

Congratulations on your new grandson ?

MawB Tue 12-May-20 09:30:06

Dannio Would she be eligible for a nursery place for key workers?
Or else, given that the school holidays are fully paid , could the baby’s father not take paid holiday or unpaid leave to enable her to benefit from holiday pay?
Who knows what the situation might be by mid-June anyway.

MawB Tue 12-May-20 09:31:22

Just a thought, has the baby’s father had his paternity leave already? Surely they can cobble something together?

Sarahmob Tue 12-May-20 10:28:06

Childminders and nannies are now allowed to return to work

‘Cleaners and nannies may return to work in people's homes - as long as they are not displaying symptoms of coronavirus and everyone in the house is also well, new Government guidelines state.

The latest guidance, published on Monday, says paid childcare such as nannies and childminders can resume their jobs if done in a safe way.

And while nannies can resume work from Wednesday, childminders, who work from home, are expected to be allowed to re-open in June.

The strategy document says this should enable "more working parents to return to work."’

So I would say that as long you are in good health then taking care of your grandson would be allowable. Whether I think it’s sensible is a different matter entirely.

Lesley60 Tue 12-May-20 10:31:45

Please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m in a similar situation whereby my son in law has had to return to work so therefore he is mixing with others not knowing who they have been in contact with, then going home to his children.
My daughter has to return to work soon but the babies nursery is closed.
My husband and I are in our early sixties only go out once a week for essentials and wear face masks etc so surely we would be safe to look after the baby.

Crazygran Tue 12-May-20 10:31:58

My son and dill are both teachers , I am 65 and will look after my grand daughters at their house.Useing every precaution.
They come first

deanswaydolly Tue 12-May-20 10:32:55

I am a childminder. I am asked to open on 1st June for my mindees. However I am not allowed to visit my 5 and 7 year old granddaughters. Bizarre.

Emma21 Tue 12-May-20 10:35:00

Seems ridiculous that nannies and childminders can work but grandparents in a bubble with immediate family can’t help

barbaralynne Tue 12-May-20 10:35:31

What I understood from the news last night was extremely confusing as we were told that Nannies and cleaners could return to work but grandparents could not look after grandchildren not living with them.
As already suggested, teachers are keyworkers and so should qualify for nursery places.

mancgirl Tue 12-May-20 10:36:50

Here is my situation. Dil is due to give birth any time. They have a 2 year old. We have been in voluntary isolation since 20th March, no health problems. She has been WFH for last 6 weeks or so. The plan is that when she goes into labour, we will bring dgs here as she can only go into hospital when in active labour. She obviously doesn't want the 2 year old to see her struggling with labour. He will stay with until she's back home. We can't see a way round this. He can hardly go with her! So, you can have a nanny or childminder but not a grandparent ?

Sardinia2020 Tue 12-May-20 10:48:16

Become the nanny

hazel93 Tue 12-May-20 10:52:49

It is bizarre !
Of course we can use common sense but these mixed messages are ridiculous.
My garden can be accessed without entering the house and quite large enough to adhere to social distancing yet not allowed apparently.
Asked my DS and DIL if I could be employed as a nanny !

Canalboatgranma Tue 12-May-20 10:56:18

Can you move in with them to become one household? That's what we have done to look after our 2yo DGD.

Juicylucy Tue 12-May-20 10:59:30

If you read the document that was released yesterday it explains it in detail.

4allweknow Tue 12-May-20 11:04:22

As in another post I mentioned a neighbour is a childminder and is looking after various childrens each day. Why can't anyone else look after children of those in key positions or now being expected to go back to work. What does a childminder's immune system have that others don't. The adults delivering and collecting children are often in the garden sitting at small table for a cuppa! Think I would be challenging my MP about this.

Aepgirl Tue 12-May-20 11:12:29

Wait and see what happens in June.

3nanny6 Tue 12-May-20 11:13:16

I have read this thread and noted the comments. So glad that someone knows the rules and has said that cleaners, nannies, and childminders are now allowed to return to work.
I have a daughter that is struggling on her own with three children (no partner) . So far I have kept every rule and not entered her household, her sister has done the same.
My daughter will not be able to continue like this for much longer so can I become the nannie and my daughter become the cleaner then we can go into my daughters home.
I take every precaution possible and when outside have worn mask and protective gloves and so has my daughter so why can we not help a vulnerable family member? Two weeks ago in surrounding area a mother of two children took her own life because her own mother and father could not come into her home to help her. This is not a good situation to find yourself in and families should be allowed to help.

Southgan Tue 12-May-20 11:16:22

I’m so frustrated by this. We moved county last year to look after my 3 grandchildren all under 3. I feel that now would be a safe time to see them as, like us, they have been isolated for 8 weeks. If I can’t look after them they will have to go to nursery and then they are more likely to spread the virus to us ?

Grannynannywanny Tue 12-May-20 11:18:03

My 64 yr old friend is a part time teacher. Normally 3 days teaching and the rest of the week enjoying caring for her 2 grandchildren while their parents work shifts.

So under current guidelines she will be expected to return to teaching. Spend all day trying to socially distance a class of 5 yr olds.

But she will still be unable to see/look after her own grandchildren ?‍♀️

RAZZLEDAZZLE Tue 12-May-20 11:18:37

Ask Boris !

V3ra Tue 12-May-20 11:29:13

I'm a childminder, 63 this week, and have been working all along for keyworkers' children. We do doorstep drop off and pick up, only the child crosses the threshold. Lots of handwashing, especially on arrival.

4allweknow your neighbour is not following any advice I've seen if she's having the parents in for a cuppa!

Teachers do indeed qualify for a keyworker childcare place.
From June 1st we have been asked to be ready to welcome all children back, keyworkers or not, if they need to come.

Only my opinion but a young, healthy grandparent is a safer option for a child than any care setting, purely because of the more limited exposure to other people.

Esmerelda Tue 12-May-20 11:30:58

They didn't think it through. Reading some of the comments above, I believe all of you should do what you think is best and safest for you and your families and ignore any so-called "advice" from our shambolic Government. You are not irresponsible people, flouting the social distancing/gathering rules. You are best at knowing how to keep everyone safe.

TATT Tue 12-May-20 11:33:34

It’s going to cause real problems if I can’t help out with my grandchildren when they go back to school. My former SIL is working from home at the moment and is doing the bulk of the childcare. My daughter works part-time as a nurse. What a dilemma we all find ourselves in.