Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Litter..do you teach yr kids to take it home

(19 Posts)
phoenix Sun 28-Jun-20 17:03:14

I was once the proud owner of a washed orange peel!

Had drummed into the boys how dropping litter was really unacceptable, found orange peel in DS1's trousers after they had been washed!blush

I'm now rather more diligent with regard to checking pockets.

(Mind you, this was the same DS who, when I found a bucket handle in his sweater drawer, told me he had put it there because "it might be useful"confused

Grandmafrench Sun 28-Jun-20 16:45:56

Always... it’s been a family thing. The small ones will be the first to disappear under the piles of waste if it’s left....that helps focus their minds. I’m afraid that I will sometimes pick up others’ litter because I always have poo bags somewhere handy that I can put over my hands.

Who are the offenders, why is something so bad so easy to do? My guess is that so many now live completely in their heads, on social media, on their phones. Why would they even be aware of others, a beautiful view, their surroundings?

When people throw stuff out of car windows, I can barely drive straight ..... for the raging red mist ? So sad.

Chewbacca Sun 28-Jun-20 16:36:33

Whenever we go out on a picnic, we always pop a bin liner in so that we can collect all the detritus and take it home. However, on a family picnic last summer, there was another large group of picnickers nearby. They finished their picnic long before us and started to pack their stuff up, carefully avoiding their empty pop bottles, beer cans, crisp packets and biscuit wrappers. My DS called over to them to ask if they would like to make use of our bin liner and was promptly told to f**k off. We collected their rubbish up with our own.

Peardrop50 Sun 28-Jun-20 16:28:19

I have lived on a seaside cove for over 30 years, I now live a mile from a beautiful mile long stretch of beach. Both beaches have been packed with holidaymakers on sunny days over the years then at 5pm people start to make their way homeward and the beaches are deserted by about 6 in the evening. I have never seen any litter, any sign that anyone was there apart from an abundance of sandcastles, any excretia even though there were no public toilets on the smaller cove. What has changed. I am disgusted at the scenes on Ogmore by Sea, Bournemouth and others.
Have we become so selfish and uncaring during this pandemic.

Missedout Sun 28-Jun-20 15:57:23

I've brought up my family to never leave litter about, either put it in the bin if there is one or else take it home to be disposed of properly.

However, I can't bring myself to pick up other people's litter, at least, not without protecting myself by wearing gloves and having a bag to put rubbish in. (I don't go out prepared to collect litter.)

Nor do I have the nerve to challenge people who openly drop litter. I'm not sure that makes me any less culpable but we need a different approach to littering in the UK.

paddyanne Sun 28-Jun-20 15:51:05

always have ,mine used to come home with pockets and schoolbags full of rubbish ,they would pick up after friends rather than leave it lying.My GC are the same now and are involved in litter clear ups on the local beaches

DanniRae Sun 28-Jun-20 15:07:25

What about all the litter left all over a plane to be seen as you walk down the gangway to get off? This is unbelievable considering the flight attendants come round several times to collect all the rubbish.
I wonder if these people live in homes covered in their mess?

Lucca Sun 28-Jun-20 13:10:27

This. Surely if you can put in a bag you can take it home?? Or at least to an empty bin!

Grannynannywanny Sun 28-Jun-20 12:21:23

And the mess of litter on the cinema floor when the lights go on at the end of the film. Then they all file out past the bin empty handed and leave it to somebody to lift their mess?

Happiyogi Sun 28-Jun-20 11:50:45

I’m shocked and sickened too by the pictures of the tons of litter left behind on the beaches. I keep thinking that if people carried the food and drink onto the beach, it’d have been really simple to take their empties with them as they left.

If the council and concerned locals hadn’t done the huge clear up but left the bottles and packaging lying on the sand, what would the next day’s beachgoers have done? Settled down amongst the filth to sunbathe, or got back in their cars?

It’s utterly depressing to see anti social behaviour on such a huge scale, especially after the collective experience of the last months. I think it’s time to start teaching our children again about responsibility to others and our shared environment.

ginny Sun 28-Jun-20 11:45:10

Of course, any decent person would teach their children that. It’s simple good manners.

DanniRae Sun 28-Jun-20 11:30:56

Nobody in my family would ever leave litter behind
I do not understand the mentality of people who can walk away and leave all their rubbish there - I am appalled by it.
angry

Grannynannywanny Sun 28-Jun-20 11:30:30

Always! I hate to see the amount of litter that’s dropped by lazy people. I taught my children from an early age we either use a litter bin or take our litter home.Happy to say my gc would never drop litter.

Cash strapped councils are spending a fortune in city centres to have teams of cleaners removing chewing gum
that’s been discarded and trampled into pavements. An absolutely disgusting thing to do. These people have no respect for others.

Furret Sun 28-Jun-20 11:29:16

Contact the Headteacher

MissAdventure Sun 28-Jun-20 11:26:03

The pupils of the school near me throw their rubbish all over our grass.
It's a constant battle to keep it clear. So much for caring about the environment.

travelsafar Sun 28-Jun-20 11:22:19

I ask that question myself... just who would do that??? Is it youngsters, the ones who gone on about saving the planet and pollution? Is it children whose parents have not taught them a social skill. Is it older people who just can't be bothered or are unable to walk to the next available bin if those nearby are full. Is it a lack of bins in popular areas??
Personally i would feel guilty and defo embarressed if someone saw me leaving litter anywhere. So just who is it????

FarNorth Sun 28-Jun-20 11:19:52

Yes, of course.

They are not me.

MissAdventure Sun 28-Jun-20 11:19:34

Always, always.
I also have a 'tidy up' if I find other people's rubbish when I'm out.
It disgusts me to see it just dropped.

Nan0 Sun 28-Jun-20 11:15:35

Do you teach your children / grandkids to always take/ pick up litter when you go to beach/ picnic/ walk/ if you have taken food drink tissues etc with you somewhere ..who are these people who leave such rubbish as seen on news of beaches etc..