Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Toddler Refuses To Wear Shoes

(44 Posts)
Naninka Fri 07-Aug-20 00:39:39

My 2.4 yr old granson refuses to walk in shoes. Shoes were £35 and fitted correctly at well-known store. He will wear his old shoes which were bought before Christmas but they are too small for him now.
If we can get them on him (screams) he will not stand or walk in them. Will crawl, kneel, etc.
It looks as though the shoes fit OK.
Any advice? He's missing out on outside fun. ?

Naninka Mon 07-Sep-20 09:49:28

I love these replies! Thank you. They've made me smile. xx

JuliaM Mon 07-Sep-20 08:53:12

Maybe soft canvas shoes may be much lighter and more comfortable for him, and even better if they have a design of his favourite cartoon or TV character on them.
Some children find the weight of sturdy Leather Type shoes Makes their ankles ache, and are happier in a less bulky design.
Our little Grandaughter, flatly refused to wear ‘proper shoes’ as a toddler, and would only wear socks and tights in cold weather. As soon as she started Nursery aged 2, she loved what some of the other children were wearing, sparkly bright coloured LeilyKelly shoes, firstly in strong canvas, and later more like proper shoes with the same embellishment types.
They were not a cheap alternative, and in some cases more expensive than the leading brands of Clark’s or StartRite, unless we were lucky enough to find a pair to fit out of the shop sales offers.
You may find that once he starts going to a regular playgroup or nursery, he will want to start and copy his piers, and have the same as them, a trend that often carries through the entire school days, just as it has done with our Grandaughter, who’s now a fully fledged teenager and follower of fashion at aged 14!
She still plays copycat with her clothes and possessions with whatever her friends happen to be wearing at the time, or they play a game of ‘Swops‘ with each other when going out somewhere in an evening!

Summerlove Mon 07-Sep-20 01:47:58

I wonder if he just doesn’t like Them. Did he have a say in choosing them?

NotSpaghetti Mon 07-Sep-20 00:39:36

Naninka, I know your problem is sorted for now but there is unlikely to be a third pair available in a few months.

I think you should be proactive in introducing a second pair or you will soon be back to square one.
Good luck!

Jane10 Sun 06-Sep-20 14:19:34

My SiL is South African. They weren't allowed to wear shoes for games. He still prefers to be barefoot in the house or just flip flops outside. It's pretty chilly here too.

EllanVannin Sun 06-Sep-20 13:44:39

My 3 GC in Oz rarely wore shoes as babies/toddlers except for going into town then it was sandals all round. The sharp prickly bits on their lawn never bothered them ( bindi's ) but I found them horrendous grin with my " pampered " feet. I'd have been cut to shreds.

Jane10 Sun 06-Sep-20 13:37:34

Oopsminty- your 'modest' son grin
I bet that's worn off by now!

Callistemon Sun 06-Sep-20 13:36:01

Naninka
A boy who knows what he likes ??
He will probably grow up to be decisive.

Callistemon Sun 06-Sep-20 13:33:17

Walking around barefoot is very good for their feet, apparently.

ElaineI Sun 06-Sep-20 13:28:20

Definitely take them back if they were shop fitted. Sometimes it is difficult to see the part that is hurting. DGS2 same age and has been in canvas shoes or wellies all lockdown but will need proper shoes soon as weather gets autumnal. We have had to take shoes back to Clarks and the assistants checked and replaced them. DGD is 3 and takes both shoes and socks off as soon as she is inside and also in the garden.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 06-Sep-20 11:48:26

At that age, he will probably simply love a pair of bright red or blue gum-boots!

Namsnanny Sun 06-Sep-20 11:45:31

Brilliant result!grin nice to think of him charging around without a care about his shoes!!

Naninka Sun 06-Sep-20 10:18:14

put*

Naninka Sun 06-Sep-20 10:17:39

Update: my DiL found the same shoes in a larger size (new on eBay). She hid the old ones and out his new ones in the exact spot ready for morning. He put them on without issue and hasn't noticed they are new shoes. He's now been happily wearing them for weeks!!

timetogo2016 Sat 08-Aug-20 14:51:26

Spot on Gagajo.

Hetty58 Sat 08-Aug-20 14:41:49

Naninka, I wouldn't call it wilfulness, just a natural stage in his developing independence.

Perhaps he just doesn't like the look or feel of the shoes at the moment. Do allow him a choice.

I cut out the toes of my little son's shoes so he could use them a little longer (well, it was the summer holidays)!

Callistemon Sat 08-Aug-20 14:35:10

I have a love/hate relationship with shoes as well, but I have very difficult feet. Just contemplating whether or not to send yet another pair back. I am forever looking for comfort.

trisher Sat 08-Aug-20 14:04:43

My GS aged 5 has had a love-hate relationship with various pairs of shoes. His current preferences are his wellies (which he used to hate) and his flip flops, the trainers he used to love are now completely wrong. He has never been very fond of his school shoes and wore them reluctantly. Maybe buy some cheap canvas shoes and try those. There are quite a few threads on mums net about this problem so he isn't the only one.

lemongrove Sat 08-Aug-20 13:37:39

BibiSarah

Naninka, I’m wondering if your grandson has some sensory related issue going on. It was my first thought when you explained about the new shoes Then when you mentioned the old shoes and his winter coat it made me suspect something sensory even more.

Could the new shoes perhaps be swapped for something resembling the old shoes in weight and texture/feel? And this winter could he perhaps given a different weight/texture of coat or perhaps even wear more layers rather than one coat?

There’s lots of info regarding sensory issues on line and a quick google may shed more light on It for you.

That’s what I think too.

crazyH Sat 08-Aug-20 13:20:26

Talking of gravel - what's it about kids'feet ? My little grandkids can walk on gravel as if they are polystyrene ?

JackyB Sat 08-Aug-20 13:05:35

My DS2 was a notorious shoe-shunner. He went barefoot to school even in the sixth form. His one-year-old daughter is a typical girl, though. She loves all types of shoes.

Sorry, nothing to do with the thread subject, really.

Sounds like a typical case of "Terrible Twos". It will pass.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 08-Aug-20 11:22:41

My small GD is also not going to wear her shoes out. When she comes to me she is normally bare footed and will wander the garden and drive happily with no shoes. DD's house has gravel round it and GD happily walks on it. She is 4 now and has been like that since she could walk.

25Avalon Sat 08-Aug-20 11:06:58

You can get trainers not only with characters on but ones that flash which he might find more appealing. If you go online you can get full information on how to measure your child’s feet so you needn’t go to the most expensive shop.

Callistemon Sat 08-Aug-20 11:01:57

My DGD seems to hate wearing shoes and she's a fair bit older than him. Always think she's going to tread on something sharp in the garden.

Naninka Sat 08-Aug-20 10:41:07

Thank you so much for all your help, fellow GPs.
For all his shoe-hating, he remains a bright, bubbly, beautiful and bi-lingual (!) little boy!
Love him to absolute bits!!