Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

I’m worried that my 18 month grandson has a learning difficulty. He’s not speaking or pointing or making eye contact babbling He doesn’t respond to his name . They need to get him to a doctor .

(30 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

CarolynSpartan Fri 04-Sep-20 16:00:11

How do I encourage my son and daughter -in- law to get help for DGS with out upsetting them . He is a beautiful happy little boy and loves me to sing to him row row your boat or play peek a boo he’s always laughing. My son thinks the lock down might be the reason he’s a bit behind . How can I help

[Edited by GNHQ to remove real life names]

Bibbity Fri 04-Sep-20 16:04:16

You don’t. Even if he is on the spectrum there is no cure and so no reason at present to rush him anywhere.
As the parents they will asses the situation and make decisions as a team. These conversations may not involve you and you may not be informed of them.
For all you know they could be in touch with the HV.

And also. May children develop differently. And at 18 months he is way to young to be over analysing his behaviour.

Luckygirl Fri 04-Sep-20 16:06:42

"They need to get him to a doctor." No - they need to make their own decisions about their child.

Grandmabatty Fri 04-Sep-20 16:28:54

Not. Your. Child. You really need to keep out of it. He will have been assessed by a health visitor, albeit remotely. There are countless charts identifying the range of skills at each age. My dgs babbles constantly, doesn't always make eye contact, rarely answers to his name and is 18 months. He is progressing normally, he is bright and inquisitive and happy. And if your grandson has a problem, then his parents will deal with it, not you. I'm sorry if you feel this is harsh and I'm sure you are only concerned but no good can come from you interfering.

Framilode Fri 04-Sep-20 16:31:22

I understand your worry about your grandchild, but the others are right. I would keep quiet and wait for it to be raised. I had the same worries about my grandson for the same reason. He is now 19 and in his second year at Uni.

AGAA4 Fri 04-Sep-20 16:38:24

My second son didn't say a word till he was over 18 months and then suddenly came out with a long sentence. Children develop at different speeds. They also have different personalities. My first son used to babble and chat away all day and is now a very chatty extrovert type but my second boy could talk but didn't say much and he is now a much quieter type than his brother.
Your son and his wife are the best ones to know if there is a problem.

Alexa Fri 04-Sep-20 16:41:02

Has the health visitor checked his hearing?

Sarnia Fri 04-Sep-20 17:07:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sarnia Fri 04-Sep-20 17:10:19

Sorry Bibbity. I meant to reply to CarolynSpartan's post, not yours.

BucGirl1987 Sat 05-Sep-20 21:47:14

Goodness gracious, what is it about grannies that make them turn into such judgmental, hypercritical women? The parents of this child know his health issues better than you and if you trust your son's parenting skills at all then he will get his child the care and assessments he needs. You sound like my ex mother-in-law who wrote us a letter explaining my child needed speech therapy. Well the therapy was all ready under way, we just hadn't told her about it, bc every little detail about my child's medical history is not her business. MIL turned into such a paranoid, anxious, fussy granny and it was such a cause for contention. The irony is, where was this paranoia and anxiety when she was a mom? Bc she damn sure wasn't that way when her kids were young! I know bc I was there and I saw it with my own two eyes, as I met her son when we were teens. So this lady who could barely parent her own children properly had the nerve to give me parenting tips and trick regularly. And she wondered why we fell out...it's really easy but I guess when you think your poop doesn't stink and only you know best then that's the outcome. My suggestion (take it or leave it) stay in your lane and just enjoy being Grandma. Leave parenting and the worries that come along with it to the parents. It'll make your grandma experience so much more pleasant for all involved!

Luckygirl Sat 05-Sep-20 21:53:24

My highly intelligent DD did not speak in any meaningful way till she was 2.

She also started reading very late. I found her reading The Wind in The Willows one day and said: "Can you read that?" and she said yes. It was the first sign of even trying to read. Personally I think she was waiting for something worth reading rather than wasting her time on Janet and John!

OP - I think you need to leave it to the child's parents and the health visitor who will be checking the child. Please try not to worry and certainly do not tell them what to do.

Oopsminty Sat 05-Sep-20 21:53:29

Just leave him alone.

My son hardly spoke for years

He's a doctor now

Your grandchild is only 18 months

Plenty of time!

lemongrove Sat 05-Sep-20 23:03:02

Oopsminty ???

In any case OP you are jumping the gun, with all the milestones..my eldest DH didn’t say a word until that age or older.

lemongrove Sat 05-Sep-20 23:03:46

DD not DH ( now that would be funny!)?

Callistemon Sat 05-Sep-20 23:12:19

I think, reading this thread, that quite a number of us have intelligent, successful children who didn't speak until they were 2+.
If there is nothing worth saying, why bother?
He could, however, say 'dinner'.

Callistemon Sat 05-Sep-20 23:13:12

My DS, sorry (I should have checked after deleting part of my post).

Summerlove Sat 05-Sep-20 23:25:23

Leave it to the parents.

18months could be nothing or could be a problem. However, they do not need you trying to make them insecure on their parenting. They are more in tune with their child than you are.

I know it’s hard, but, bite your tongue, say nothing and never say “I told you so”

Teacheranne Sun 06-Sep-20 00:24:40

My father in law was convinced that my daughter was deaf, despite having had her hearing checked by a health visitor. I knew better as she could hear the biscuit tin being opened fron a different room and would come in running, shouting "Want one" She has no hearing problems, or indeed any developmental delays but was just very independent and refused to perform party tricks for her grandad!

I had the opposite problem with my youngest son who did have a number of issues after being very poorly with meningitis when 6 months old. The long stay in hospital resulted in him regressing a little ie back on baby formula after beginning weaning and no real speech until turned 2. But this same man refused to accept that his grandson had any problems and thought we were fussy parents for taking him for regular checkups! Luckily there were no lasting problems and he was finally discharged when he was six - ironically his sister, just 13 months older who Grandad thought was deaf, doted on him and it wasn't until she went to school full time that he was allowed to speak for himself!

I was too laid back to be cross with my FIL but he really should have kept his pointless comments to himself, we were well aware of how our own children were developing.

Yes, the original poster might have concerns, but please keep them to yourself for a year or so, it's amazing how much toddlers develop in a short period of time.

Chewbacca Sun 06-Sep-20 00:55:46

My GS babbled but didn't actually say "a word" properly until he was nearly 3 because his big sister always spoke for him. Now we can't shut him up! Don't interfere OP, you'll get no thanks.

felice Sun 06-Sep-20 08:23:50

DGS was nearly 3 before he spoke properly, a speech therapist who attended our Church said not to worry. Now age 8 you cannot shut him up.
Although we sort of live in the same house, I never interfere in parenting unless asked.
He will be fine, just stay out of it, one of the reasons for the problems we had with my Mother was her constant interfering.
We eventually moved abroad as she just could not stop, even going to our Doctor with a long list of complaints against us, completely unfounded.

TwiceAsNice Sun 06-Sep-20 10:00:32

My first child spoke very early . The second didn’t speak at all until 2.5 because his sister spoke for him. When he did decide to talk he spoke in complete sentences straight away. All children are different, he was just as bright as his sister . Don’t interfere. My MIL did and she drove me mad!

Westcoaster Sun 06-Sep-20 10:42:10

Our DGD didn't talk, or actually do any of the normal developmental things like waving, shape sorting etc. In fact she needed speech therapy at 4 but then came on leaps and bounds. She is now 6 and knows everything and does everything ... probably just didn't want to be bothered as a baby/toddler!!!

Thankfully number 2 developed along normal lines so no anxiety for us there.

Every child is different and 18 months is very early to start worrying. We find the best way is only to comment about things if we're asked, otherwise say nothing! smile

geekesse Sun 06-Sep-20 11:10:44

Beware - you have given quite a lot of identifiable information about a child. I’m guessing your username is your actual name, and you’ve given the child’s name and age. This is unwise, so I’m going to draw the post to the attention of the moderators.

CarolynSpartan Thu 10-Sep-20 18:45:38

Not my real name or child’s just wanted a bit of help . I would never get involved or upset my son .

CarolynSpartan Thu 10-Sep-20 18:49:23

I would never say anything to them and I’m happy with almost all the response . I know my poo stinks too .