Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Babysitting and foodie bits left for grandparents to eat?

(23 Posts)
Glamdram Tue 08-Sep-20 21:39:37

Just a throw out question. Who gets left foodie bits to eat when they babysit their grandchildren in the evening whilst the parents go out .?

Grannybags Tue 08-Sep-20 21:42:51

Not me!

ginny Tue 08-Sep-20 21:43:34

Always told to help ourselves to drinks, biscuits, fruit and often a little treat left for us.

Chewbacca Tue 08-Sep-20 22:18:57

I don't babysit that often in the evenings but when I do, I'm always told to just help myself to anything I want. So I usually raid the Haribo tub!

mokryna Tue 08-Sep-20 22:52:51

I had worked all day, driven 45 mins, no parking spaces and there wasn’t a meal, although they hadn’t worked all day. I had to see to the DGCs bedtime before digging in the freezer.

janeainsworth Tue 08-Sep-20 22:53:42

What’s the definition of a ‘foodie bit’?
It sounds like a child’s left-overs confused

MerylStreep Tue 08-Sep-20 22:56:15

The grandchildren always stay with us when babysitting is needed. We ( and the grandchildren) prefer it that way.

CanadianGran Tue 08-Sep-20 23:04:28

Most of my babysitting is done at my house, but if i were to go to theirs during a meal time, i would ask the question beforehand.

I don't mind to do a meal prep, and would of course include myself in the amount of food to cook.

If you are being overlooked, perhaps order take out after the little ones are in bed, and leave the containers all over their living room coffee table as a blatant hint!

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 23:10:58

The grandchildren always stay with us when babysitting is needed.

Ditto, so we all have a meal together.
Then breakfast the next morning.

Not that they've stayed for months sad

Grandmabatty Wed 09-Sep-20 15:12:55

I'm having my grandson for a sleepover on Saturday but obviously it's at my house. I used to look after him at his house before the virus and dd always had food in. However I was feeding him anyway. It might happen more as he gets bigger but they are home bodies really.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 09-Sep-20 15:47:08

If I have GC here we get a takeaway as a treat for them or the elder ones help GrandpaGravy cook.

If I go to AC house, they normally ask what takeaway we would like and arrange it.

Marian1412 Tue 03-Nov-20 15:14:24

Can anyone recommend a toy car for a boy 2 years 8 months.
Maybe a pull back friction one?

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 03-Nov-20 17:02:41

We’ve often been left chocolates and grapes. As far as I’m aware, our grandchildren haven’t nibbled on them first.?

Lucca Tue 03-Nov-20 17:10:10

Mine don’t live near so I’m always staying over. My DIL or DS always Make sure I’m well fed and watered!

NotTooOld Tue 03-Nov-20 17:19:19

Marian11412 - Mine always liked the pull back friction cars at that age. There are lots available on Amazon.

V3ra Tue 03-Nov-20 17:25:53

We haven't babysat at theirs for ages, but one New Year's Eve we did and we took an M&S meal deal with us rather than rely on their local takeaways.

MarchMom19 Fri 06-Nov-20 17:59:34

Whenever my parents babysit, I always have dinner in the oven for them so they can eat while they’re here! It’s the least I can do when they refuse to take money for babysitting. And they can eat any snacks/raid the pantry. I don’t care

trustgone4sure Fri 06-Nov-20 18:14:16

My Dil`s do the very same for me MarchMom19.
You are a star as are my Dil`s.

DanniRae Sat 07-Nov-20 07:36:56

We have only looked after out grandson once in the evening at their place and my daughter had left plenty of different snacks - and all things she knows we like smile

GrannyLaine Sat 07-Nov-20 08:39:49

If we babysit at their houses, there is always a lovely meal left for us - usually something like M&S Dine In.

MamaBear20 Mon 21-Dec-20 02:51:18

For me it defeats the purpose of a date night with my husband if I must first cook a meal before I get to go out to dinner, but I will order and pay for a pizza for the kids and grandparents before we leave. It’s rude to leave nothing for them. They’re also welcome to raid the pantry, which is usually stocked full of snacks.

Scentia Mon 21-Dec-20 06:11:35

I have never formally asked, but DGS and I are itching for Mummy and Daddy to go out so we can see what we can find in the pantry, Daddy has great crisps, nuts and biscuits, until I have found them?

BlueBelle Mon 21-Dec-20 07:03:38

What a strange question ?