Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

My ex DIL is arranging boyfriends to pick up GC from day care

(118 Posts)
Annali Sat 26-Sep-20 06:21:20

Hello everyone
I’m at my wits end with worry for my son and 2 yr GC. Long story short - the relationship has broken down, they are seperated and DIL has new boyfriend (a couple actually in past 6 months). She has told my son that in future, her current BF will be picking up GC from daycare. My son knows nothing about this new man in GC life. My son has been seen lawyer and a letter will soon be sent to DIL re: law about joint guardianship and need to include my son in decisions re: welfare of GC. DIL is persisting - through series of texts - that she will do what she sees right for ‘her child’. My son is an emotional and anxious mess. How do I help him?

pinkquartz Sat 26-Sep-20 23:17:18

Iake this to court or rather your DS should.

Even if the worst outcome was to happen your DGS will grow up and be able to see that his father fought to see him
plus there is a good chance that DIL might see sense and agree to joint parent
If her life is chaotic she might also find it better for her to work with your son for childcare.

Don't give up and remain as loving.
Does Dil oppose you seeing our DGS ? I hope you can even if it is not very often you can build with this.
Just do not express any anger towards Dil

welbeck Sat 26-Sep-20 21:10:06

but OP has suggested that the boy' mother is leading a somewhat chaotic life.

Ilovecheese Sat 26-Sep-20 19:21:27

What about thinking about it like this:
If your son is a good man and your daughter in law married him, then it is more than likely that the boyfriend is a good man as well.

welbeck Sat 26-Sep-20 19:10:36

does your son or you have enough money to employ a private investigator to do some background checks on this person. police checks will only shew if he has relevant convictions. other concerning information is either not disclosable or not held by police.
i can see why you might be worried.
most abuse of children is by mother's partners.

biba70 Sat 26-Sep-20 17:51:49

Perfectly said eazybee.

I have a young friend here who has been in a similar situation. Her new BF (now husband) bonded really well with her 10 year old daughter from day one- and he took a full part in her life and education, and picking up from school, babysitting often, etc. Her previous partner was not happy about it (despite them having split up years ago)- and yet- we trusted new partner 100%, as surrogate grandparents. Jut depends ont he situation and the new BF/partner. Annali- are your concerns truly based on his character and/or real info as to his person- or just sheer prejudice because of your son?

eazybee Sat 26-Sep-20 17:42:52

As an outsider, I have watched an acrimonious divorce settle into a relatively amicable relationship between the two parents. Child care arrangements were made, difficult at first but became increasingly flexible as the parents began to trust each other; both found new partners who are very fond of the children, and it is reciprocal. The grandparents and families were carefully neutral, apart from one exception, still trying unsuccessfully to stir up trouble. The only problem now is that the children are in danger of being seriously spoilt by the raft of new honorary grandparents and cousins and sisters and aunts lining up to provide treats and presents.
It was hard at first, with some deliberate provocation, but all concerned tried hard to be reasonable, or bit their lip. It is not perfect, but most importantly, the children seem happy and secure, and are surrounded by love.
Worth holding your tongue and watching and waiting.

sparklingsilver28 Sat 26-Sep-20 17:18:17

A family member left with three children under the age of five. Whenever a court hearing due regarding maintenance her husband took himself abroad on business. Their much admired mother recommenced training she gave up on marriage and worked to provide a happy home life. No BFs, she believed her responsibility wholly too her children. Now retired, and her children successful adults who speak often of their happy childhood, reward enough.

Sadgrandma Sat 26-Sep-20 17:11:52

Annali, you and your son may find the following useful

www.separateddads.co.uk/can-get-background-check-ex-new-partner.html

Dinahmo Sat 26-Sep-20 17:07:20

Just to reinforce what others have said about staying neutral.

Many years ago when my brother and SIL split up (5 children, one of whom was a toddler) it became bitter. As part of the divorce agreement my brother was granted access to the children on Saturdays. As and when the children reached the age of 12 they could decide whether they wanted to see their father and each one said no when the time came. When they were younger my SIL would make excuses as to why he couldn't see them. He accepted this as regards the older children because she had already turned them against him. He hoped that it would be different with the younger ones and so he went back to court several times - he was paying his fees, she was on legal aid. Eventually the judge told her that if she appeared in court again she would be in contempt.

I think he has some sort of relationship with his children now - the eldest is over 40 - but I'm not sure as I have not had contact with him for many years.

I'm sure that things are different now but it is very important for you and your son not to alienate his ex.

sharon103 Sat 26-Sep-20 16:25:59

twinnytwin

I was in a similar situation many many years ago and was extremely upset when my ex husband straight away mixed my children with his new partner. I can reasssure you that my children have grown up to be fine wonderful people, with close relationships with all their extended family. I can only ask what you would think if your DS started a relationship with a new lady that you've met and really liked. Would you be doing all the checks on her, would you not allow her to be alone with your DGS if they lived together? This time will pass. Support your DS but don't alienate your DiL either.

Agree with you. I was also in the same situation years ago

As hurtful as it is when either parent enters other relationships, and the op says daughter in law has had two partners in the last six months, you can't keep spending money out for police checks.
I had to accept the partners that my ex had and that my young children would be with them for the access that he had.
This kind of situation isn't easy and more times than none, the shit hits the fan.
Be supportive but stay neutral.

sparklingsilver28 Sat 26-Sep-20 16:21:25

Unfortunately, some women use children as punishment against the anger they feel toward an ex partner/husband. If my understanding is correct, the state determines the welfare of the child paramount. As solicitor's already involved your son should be receiving advice from them concerning the BF's involvement with regard to the child's safety. I would certainly want his background to be closely looked into.

BlueBelle Sat 26-Sep-20 16:19:20

But we dont know she has elevated him to stepfather status do we? He is picking him up from school, working parents make lots of arrangements to pick children up

Galaxy poster says ‘putting him to bed’ Sounds like a step father role to me

Elizabeth1 Sat 26-Sep-20 16:11:15

Conciliation services helped my son in the first throws of separation I think they have strong powers

grandtanteJE65 Sat 26-Sep-20 15:44:05

I think this very much depends on where your grandchild lives.

If he lives all the time with his mother, I don't think there is anything much your son can do. If the child lives half the time with each parent, then your son obviously decides who picks him up when he is with him, but not otherwise.

I doubt a solicitor would write a letter if it has no effect. What did he say your son's rights in this matter are?

Support your son, but do not mention the matter to your former DIL if you see her.

To me, it would be reasonable if your son met this man who is now involved in his son's life, but I doubt the law sees it that way, so there is probably nothing your or he can do.

Really if the child's mother is now living with this man, it makes not one jot of difference whether she or he picks up the child, as the child will be with this man anyhow.

blue25 Sat 26-Sep-20 15:27:30

Your dil is entitled to new relationships and your son has to realise that. It is inevitable that new partners will become involved in your gc’s life and both sides have to accept it. Your son cannot control what your dil does and quite rightly so!

Grannybags Sat 26-Sep-20 14:22:54

My heart goes out to you Annali

My son's marriage ended last Christmas and I'm dreading the time my ex dil finds a boyfriend. I want her to be happy, obviously, but worry about my 2 gds

Tinydancer Sat 26-Sep-20 14:21:07

My ex husband introduced our DC to his now wife as soon as he told me about her, 8 months after he left.
She always hated me and took it out on two year old DC who changed from being carefree to a much less confident little soul.
Nearly 40 years later DC is still intimidated by this woman. I was so shocked to realise my ex was so spineless to allow this person to verbally abuse our child. When I eventually learned of it because of her smacking DC I went to mediation as they would not guarantee that they would not smack, especially as it was over something DC had no control over. Ex DH and I had agreed we wouldn't smack when we were a couple. I stopped access until I got a guarantee they would stop. There is a lot lot more to it.
I am just saying our precious kids are so vulnerable. In this case it's not just pick up from nursery but putting the DGC to bed too. By someone DIL has known less than 6 months? Makes me very sad.
I had a few boyfriends over the years but never left them in charge of DC. Sending positive vibes to OP, good luck perhaps ask son to get a Sarah's law or Claire's law request.

Bibbity Sat 26-Sep-20 13:52:07

* as a reminder that decisions should be made together*

They CAN be made together. But she doesn’t have to.
I’m trying to remember that serenity quote about things we can not change.
He can not throw his weight around with a letter when the law isn’t on his side.

ReadyMeals Sat 26-Sep-20 13:51:24

Bluebelle, not that different really nowadays. Lines are very blurred. If the real father antagonises the boyfriend, the boyfriend might start influencing the mother to make things more difficult for the real father. IMHO it's important for the real father to at least pretend to respect the boyfriend, while keeping alert to any alteration in the child's demeanour when he does spend time with him.

MissAdventure Sat 26-Sep-20 13:49:36

No, that's true. Fair comment.

I wouldn't allow a virtual stranger access to my child that quickly.

Is that better? I would be concerned.

Galaxy Sat 26-Sep-20 13:43:25

But we dont know she has elevated him to stepfather status do we? He is picking him up from school, working parents make lots of arrangements to pick children up.

rafichagran Sat 26-Sep-20 13:40:09

I still maintain that a solicitors/lawyers letter will do no harm as a reminder that decisions should be made together.
Also the Mother had been with the boyfriend s very short time, what if the relationship breaks down and another boyfriend comes on the scene? The OP son has a right to be concerned.
I have also been the parent of a son and I also got divorced. My ex was in a relationship, now married, alot longer before my son was introduced to her.

MissAdventure Sat 26-Sep-20 13:37:18

I would suggest the mum gets to know men before elevating them to stepfather role, but that isn't happening, clearly.

So, I'd be worried, too.

I've no idea what the answer is, but it's not to be dismissive of the op's concerns.

Galaxy Sat 26-Sep-20 13:33:50

But what are you suggesting should be done here?

MissAdventure Sat 26-Sep-20 13:31:16

Yep.