Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Need help with getting my just- 2 year old grandson to have a sleep after lunch

(29 Posts)
Nikiya Fri 02-Oct-20 15:21:09

Hi there. Am new on Gransnet and very pleased to have found it and hoping that people will help. I look after my little grandson two full days a week. My daughter in law has raised him very well to have quite a long nap after lunch. When I started looking after him some months ago, at first he would sleep in the travel cot I have in my house (although not for long). About 6 weeks ago he suddenly refused to lie down to sleep and cried bitterly, protesting, so I began to take him out in his pushchair in which he would sleep for a while. After a couple of weeks he stopped sleeping in that. Next I started to take him out in my car so that he would sleep in his car seat. This he did until yesterday when he protested loudly about the car seat arrangement and didn't sleep at all, despite a long car trip! I know that I have made a rod for my own back - being a very soft sort of person! - but am now wracking my brains as to how to get him to have his nap when he comes again next week. ( I daren't tell my daughter in law because she is very keen on him sleeping) I used to solve the problem when my son was a baby because I had a large Silver Cross pram and would walk miles with him but alas, such prams are no more and clearly, I am no better at getting babies to sleep conventionally than before! Any advice would be really welcome!

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 02-Oct-20 15:25:36

I think you have to tell your DIL. I did what you are doing, and always discussed any problems. She’s his mum, and needs to know how his day has been, so she can take this inti consideration if she had problems at home. It’s for her to fix, not you, so do please tell her.

kircubbin2000 Fri 02-Oct-20 15:28:29

I put a rug on the floor and put on a tape of stories or songs for him to listen to. He usually fell asleep pretty quickly.

Toadinthehole Fri 02-Oct-20 15:29:36

Yes, I agree with Disco, she may be having problems getting him to sleep at night too, and that may or may not be linked to his sleep deprivation during the day. I did notice you don’t say how old your grandson is, so it could be he’s not needing sleep during the day, and your DIL has forgotten to discuss it! Definitely speak to her, even if it’s just for your sanity?

Elegran Fri 02-Oct-20 15:33:23

He probably thinks that you are doing all sorts of interesting things while he is banished to a boring nap! It could be that he is starting to be the same at home. You could ask your daughter-in-law what she does to persuade him to sleep? She may have some magic technique - or she may be having the same trouble and be very happy to exchange any ideas with you.

One idea is to put him into the travel cot with some toys, or with sleepy music playing, and lie down yourself at the same time. Say, "Granny is going to have a nap now.", close your eyes and pretend to fall asleep. Don't be tempted to open your eyes and "wake up" too soon, or it will become a game of hide and seek! You may find that you do doze off, and you never know, so may he.

Grannynannywanny Fri 02-Oct-20 15:37:31

Nikiya I found with all 4 of my grandchildren by the time they were 2 it was time to drop the afternoon nap. It was a challenge in the first few weeks as they sometimes came close to nodding off at 4pm. I used that last hour before dinner to have a play in the bath or even an outdoor play. Then dinner and early bed.
Maybe your 2 yr old is letting you know he no longer needs an afternoon nap.

Toadinthehole Fri 02-Oct-20 15:43:30

Where does it say he’s two years old?

Toadinthehole Fri 02-Oct-20 15:44:50

Sorry, just seen it in the title!?

GagaJo Fri 02-Oct-20 15:44:54

As GNW says, at 2, he is probably starting to outgrow that post lunch nap. He will probably be tired later in the afternoon, BUT don't give in and let him nap then, because it will have an adverse affect on his bedtime.

My 2 year old DGS no longer wants a midday nap but loves a 4 or 5pm doze but then will roar around the house until 9 or 10pm. No wonder my daughter is so adamant that he does something active at that time.

MellowYellow Fri 02-Oct-20 15:45:50

In the title of the post.

Backedintoacorner Fri 02-Oct-20 15:46:31

When you say 2- just 2 or nearly 3? Mine both grew out of daytime naps around 2.5

MellowYellow Fri 02-Oct-20 15:46:52

Ha ha, crossed posts Toadinthehole!

Toadinthehole Fri 02-Oct-20 15:53:44

Yes, I’m not very good at reading the titles properly. I get a basic idea, but concentrate on the main text for the info. Must try harder?.

Grandmabatty Fri 02-Oct-20 16:09:07

I sympathise! I look after my dgs 2 days a week too. Naps are interesting. For example last Monday he slept in the travel cot for two hours. Tuesday he wouldn't sleep at all. There didn't appear to be any particular reason. So keep trying to get him to nap. However, I think it's really important you let your dil know he isn't sleeping at your house. She might have suggestions for you. It also helps her to know his daily routine when not with her. Does he go to someone else the other days? Do they have a different routine to you? That can also make a difference. If he won't nap, then a quiet hour watching his favourite film/show or reading his favourite book. If not an hour, then a half hour. Good luck.

Tea3 Fri 02-Oct-20 16:11:20

White noise or soothing music used to work with my grandson. But I agree with others re telling your d in law. You could be worrying about it and she could have just forgotten to say that he's not keen on a nap at home now either!

felice Fri 02-Oct-20 16:12:12

DGS stopped his afternoon nap at about 2, but he did and still does sleep very well at night. As DS2 did not sleep at all, perhaps 4 hours a night, from age 1 to 5 I was very happy with the night time sleeping.
All children are different, perhaps you are over-stimulating him before nap time.??

Toadinthehole Fri 02-Oct-20 16:16:24

White noise is good, my daughter has used that from day one with my granddaughter. Not sure how well it would work if you start later, but you’re supposed to be able to use it from any time. Worth a try, but...not without checking with DIL first.

Sarahmob Fri 02-Oct-20 16:20:01

My DGS stopped his afternoon nap just after his 2nd birthday. He still has the occasional nap in the car, but then won’t go to sleep at bedtime so we try not to encourage that. We have a quiet hour with books/tv after lunch. I’m like you and look after him for two days a week. Communication is the key here, it’s not your fault he won’t sleep but your d in law needs to know.

Callistemon Fri 02-Oct-20 16:23:32

Grannynannywanny

Nikiya I found with all 4 of my grandchildren by the time they were 2 it was time to drop the afternoon nap. It was a challenge in the first few weeks as they sometimes came close to nodding off at 4pm. I used that last hour before dinner to have a play in the bath or even an outdoor play. Then dinner and early bed.
Maybe your 2 yr old is letting you know he no longer needs an afternoon nap.

Yes, I agree with Grannynannywanny

My DGD had both given up their daytime nap by age 2, as had my DD, and even a quick 5 minutes meant they wouldn't go to sleep until about 9 pm.

The problems arose if we drove them home as they'd nod off in the car.

It sounds as if your DGS has reached that awkward stage, needing to give up a daytime sleep but not quite lasting through to bedtime at about 7 pm.

I am no better at getting babies to sleep conventionally than before
It's not you - he's just not a baby any more and probably approaching the terrible twos.

sodapop Fri 02-Oct-20 17:08:41

I agree its that awkward stage where children don't need a nap really but can't always last until bedtime. Talk to your daughter in law Nikiya and then take each day as it comes, he may nap one day but not another. His mother needs to know if he has slept or not though.
A quiet time is a good idea and gives you both a chance to recharge your batteries a little.

MamaCaz Fri 02-Oct-20 17:19:14

I agree with those who have said that you must mention this to your Dil.

It's highly likely that she is having similar problems, and even if she isn't, she might have some suggestions.

Both of my DiLs would want/have wanted to know, as any change in the daytime sleep pattern can have a knock-on effect at night, and it helped both of us to share any changes and share 'solutions'.

GrannyLaine Fri 02-Oct-20 17:28:16

Why not have a chat with your DIL about exactly what she does when putting him down for his nap Nikiya? I have a GD of a similar age and had problems in getting her to nap for as long as she does at home ( and that DID include was in the big coach built pram!) but a chat with my daughter revealed a specific couple of needs for this little girl who loves to sleep. You both need to be on the same page with this.

GrannyLaine Fri 02-Oct-20 17:29:18

....sorry, that should read "walks" not "was"

ElaineI Fri 02-Oct-20 21:56:53

Speak to DIL and try to do same thing each day. DGS2 is 2.5 and has nap for 1 ½ hours from about midday. I do same as his Mummy. Clean nappy, sleeping bag on, curtains shut, Hummy on (white noise), milk, and comforter. Normally asleep before milk finished but if not I sing Twinkle Twinkle and Rainbow song softly and he's asleep. Today he wouldn't sleep for childminder and was distraught when he came back, wouldn't eat tea, wouldn't have anyone but Mummy and has gone to cot an hour early without tea - still drinks a lot of milk so not starved! Still showing signs he needs his nap. DGD is 3.5 and dropped her nap about 2 and 10 months. Was difficult as she would fall asleep in buggy on school run which is 1.4 miles both ways and DD was upset if we let her but conceded it was not our job as grandparents to make an almost sleeping toddler to get out and walk. She stopped her nap when she learned to scoot to school. She is in bed by 7 but up at 6.30 or earlier. Each child is different though.

welbeck Fri 02-Oct-20 22:19:23

why does he have to sleep if he doesn't want to.