Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Things to do with a toddler.

(81 Posts)
Grandmabatty Mon 19-Oct-20 11:44:09

I look after dgs two days a week. He's 20 months old. I'm just looking for ideas for playing with him. We read stories, he has toys at my house, bricks, cars etc, we dance, watch his favourite films. He lives to push the mop around and clean so we do that. Most days we go outside and splash in puddles or walk or go to the swings. He's not a fan of colouring and would prefer to eat crayons. Does anyone have other ideas that I could use? I'm sure he's happy enough but I don't want him to be bored.

MissAdventure Tue 14-Dec-21 08:00:20

It's a thread from 2020 witzend.
Bumped up by a spammer.
Reported.

Witzend Tue 14-Dec-21 07:50:42

Play dough? Either the bought variety or you can make it easily at home - there’s a recipe online somewhere.
My eldest Gdc would play with that for ages - often making ‘cakes’. Some children’s plastic cutter shapes would be good, too.

YaHoO Tue 14-Dec-21 07:46:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Hawera1 Sun 25-Oct-20 22:36:16

Picnics are good. Either in your garden or on the floor with a rug or sheet put down. Make sandwiches or fruit cut into shapes with cutters. Let him help you. Make biscuits to.send home to.mum or to.eat at your place.. photocopy family photos and glue into a scrapbook for him to take home and tell him.what their names were. Download Christmas decorations and make. Paper chains are a good starter. You are so lucky to have him. My daughter in law won't share her wee boy.

Txquiltz Wed 21-Oct-20 00:02:45

My GS's loved a toddler version of hide and seek where we would hide stuffed toys, etc. It introduced the concept of taking turns and they would initiate the game over and over. Happy memories.

HillyN Tue 20-Oct-20 23:54:36

My GS, now 3, never liked colouring but he loved 'magic' painting books- the ones where you paint the page with water and the colour appears. He gradually learned not to run the colours together and as his hand control improved he moved on to 'proper' painting with a paint box.
We have boxes of toys but the most popular things are pans, wooden spoons and dried pasta for pretend cooking.

faye17 Tue 20-Oct-20 21:03:44

I buy cheap plain biscuits & grind them to 'sand' in the food processor. We spread it on the floor and make all sorts of tracks for his toy cars, trucks etc. We make hills that can be knocked down & rebuilt - hours of fun. When we're finished we put the sand on the bird feeder in the garden
Thank God for our grandchildren smile

GreenGran78 Tue 20-Oct-20 20:08:50

I think that we try too hard to amuse children, so they don’t develop their imaginations. Remember how few toys we had as young children? We just made our own amusements.
My GD’s daycare has one day a week where they remove all the toys, and the children have to improvise their play. I think that’s a great idea

Nanniejude Tue 20-Oct-20 20:04:06

Grandson is the same age and loves the brio train set I kept from his dads childhood!

midgey Tue 20-Oct-20 20:00:46

Try mixing cornflour and water....it’s very satisfying to play with on a tray. Another great sensory one....possibly for the bath or shower is sensitive shaving foam. Just amazing fun...for you too!

GrannyRose15 Tue 20-Oct-20 19:57:24

Please do not worry too much about him being bored. Children of that age can find fun in everything and are learning all the time. It sounds as though you are doing a great job and your son/daughter is lucky to have you.

Susiewong65 Tue 20-Oct-20 19:25:42

A large cardboard box that that he can climb in and out of and hide in.

f77ms Tue 20-Oct-20 18:59:51

I have looked after my grandson since he was born and seem to remember he loved usvto make ramps and run his cars down them at the age yours is. I used trays hardback books or just pieces of cardboard of different sizes. Plastic tubscor boxes at the bottom to see how many we could catch!

Welshy Tue 20-Oct-20 16:22:22

My GS who is two years old (Three in Feb) Loves litter picking. He now has his own 'grabber' that lights up and makes a sound, which he finds easier.

Caro57 Tue 20-Oct-20 16:10:11

My DGCs enjoyed using an adult sized paintbrush, dry on every surface imaginable! There used to be a craft book on Amazon that gave numerous ideas for things to made with cardboard boxes - cars, houses etc

Tanjamaltija Tue 20-Oct-20 15:55:05

Playdough. Flour, water, salt, and colouring according to smell... green for mint, yellow for lemon, red for strawberry. They love it...

Ohmother Tue 20-Oct-20 15:29:27

I used to get my GDs in the bath and give them play foam and the squeegee to clean the ‘windows’ which was the solid shower screen. “Hello lady. Would you like the windows cleaning?” “Oh I would! How much do you charge?” “Twenty thirty lady” ....and so on. ?

Esspee Tue 20-Oct-20 15:22:59

My wet day fallback when all else had been exhausted was to make myself a cuppa, grab a book, fill the bath and dump them in. Boats, fish, bubbles.......bliss, I could sit on the toilet and read for ages.

MadeInYorkshire Tue 20-Oct-20 15:22:26

Apparently my DGD played for a whole afternoon in a pillowcase the other day!

Molli Tue 20-Oct-20 15:21:03

I look after my Dgd just turned 2 and have done since she was 9 months old. We do very similar to what you describe except my little one loves drawings. Then there's puzzles and we bake. She likes to stir things. If she's getting crotchety then we do what I call 'water games' basically standing at the sink with plastic cups and spoons and bubbles. She also helps 'put the washing away' - or rather she gets its out and puts it back again. I'm a music teacher so there's lots of musical instruments around so we do that too. We don't have too much TV as her mum limits that but I do find that some days we don't have it on at all. But she does like Waffle and Topsy and Tim. She is very different from her brother at the same age. He was all about trains, puzzles and Duplo. ?. But what they both do love is just being outside, wandering about in the garden, feeding the chickens and making a mess!

Grandmabatty Tue 20-Oct-20 15:12:43

Goodness! What lovely ideas. Thank you all. I'm definitely going to use many of them and prepare for next week. VampireQueen ?

tavimama Tue 20-Oct-20 15:01:46

Threading pasta onto bootlaces. Garden chalks for paths and walls (washes off really easily). Small garden tools to 'help'with leaf raking, digging, etc.

A large empty cardboard box and a packet of colouring pencils/crayons - my twins would sit in a box for hours colouring it in.

A large box with ball-pool balls in it. A large empty box with a blanket and a bowl of low fat popcorn for 'movie' night (often became nap time!). Small dolly and pram for walks - dolly can be washed and have his/her hair done, wrapped in a blanket for walks, have his/her clothes washed in the sink while stood on a chair, then pegged out on a low line - an eminently unisex activity loved by my girls and their wee (male) cousins. Decorating cut out crowns with stickers (any craft shop wll be able to supply coloured and shiny paper and stick on jewels).

Baking, very basic woodwork, supervised science experiments - what happens if we... Encouraging reading, writing, counting etc.... every activity can be a teaching/learning experience - little minds are sponges and soak up everything.

Basically, embrace your inner child!

Lizbethann55 Tue 20-Oct-20 15:01:16

To be honest it sounds like you are doing a brilliant job. Toddler boys seem to be full of boundless energy. I have Action rhyme DVDs which my dgs loves. Also Happyland toys and Wow cars are great. Rolls of lining paper and finger paints are a good but very messy idea, hand and foot prints, walking across the paper making tracks on the way. Followed by a bath with lots of bubbles. I will be trying some of the ideas on here with my dgs when it is too cold and wet to go out.

vampirequeen Tue 20-Oct-20 14:57:23

If the toddler is 2 or 3 then all the above ideas are brilliant. If the toddler 74 with orange skin and a dyed blonde combover you will need to be very firm and expect tantrums when he can't have his own way.

aonk Tue 20-Oct-20 14:49:04

Maybe drawing with chalks on the patio or pavement. Dressing up using old scarves, bags, hats etc.
Making a tent with an airer.
Child size cleaning set.
Have a look in shops like Poundland or The Works or charity shops for inspiration.
Good luck!