Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Toddler learning - letters and numbers

(59 Posts)
Grannynannywanny Fri 15-Jan-21 11:17:13

This looks like the device here. I’m not affiliated to Leapfrog and I’m sure other companies have similar!

store.leapfrog.com/en-gb/store/p/fridge-phonics-magnetic-letter-set/_/A-prod19267

Grannynannywanny Fri 15-Jan-21 11:10:49

GagaJo my 4 grandchildren loved a learning toy they had from around age 2. I think it was made by Leapfrog. The back of the device was magnetic and stuck to the fridge as were all the letters. When a letter was clicked into the front of it the device recited the letter eg “b is for ball” then it would sing a little verse using the word ball. There was a choice of buying it with upper or lower case letters.

They loved it and it was in daily use. A very sturdy toy that was often dropped and came to no harm. When my first 2 grandchildren were finished with it they passed it on to their little cousins and it was used for another couple of years before ending up in the charity shop still going strong.

GagaJo Fri 15-Jan-21 10:59:02

Yes, lower case Sarahmob, I am on that one. GrandMattie, he can count to 10, our number of stairs! He counts the birds on the roof opposite. It is more number recognition we're going for now. And letters too.

I am in the middle of making him a counting toy since I couldn't find what I wanted, and it stops me missing him quite so much if I do things for him.

grandMattie Fri 15-Jan-21 10:50:14

I couldn’t understand why my children could count to 13, such an odd number. I realised that we counted the stairs! Count the peas on their plates, the number of hula hoops on their fingers....

Sarahmob Fri 15-Jan-21 10:47:41

Gagajo lots of primary schools use numicon to reinforce counting and recognition of what a number of things looks like. It’s available from Amazon but IMO any wooden building blocks to make a tower are as effective at securing the concept of number. A plea from a practising primary school teacher regarding the magnetic letters however, please source lower case as opposed to capitals as this can introduce conflict in the reception class when lower case letters are the ones ‘taught’.

PaperMonster Fri 15-Jan-21 10:38:42

Duplo bricks with letters and numbers written on them. You can get foam letters and numbers for the bath which stick to the side of the bath or the wall.

GagaJo Fri 15-Jan-21 10:23:42

Great, thank you!

NotSpaghetti Fri 15-Jan-21 10:22:32

Google Montessori equipment - really great quality learning items if genuine. They are particularly good for early years.

GagaJo Fri 15-Jan-21 10:20:11

My DGS is 2 3/4. He is showing interest in numbers and letters and I want to get him some toys to encourage his learning. I was going to buy him counting cubes, but they are a little small for him (choking hazard and he is only 2). I AM going to buy magnetic letters for his easel.

Has anyone else got any ideas? I am not with them at the moment, although from the summer, I am returning to the UK and will home school him on non-nursery days (supposing nursery is covid safe by then) so ANY ideas are welcome.

Thank you!