Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Easter Eggs. Do you still buy them?

(93 Posts)
Jodieb Thu 11-Mar-21 17:22:25

I have two GS's 20 and 18 and a GD 14. Have just bought their E/eggs. I wonder thou' do you keep on buying them? Probably the boys would prefer beer. Do you still buy them for your AGC?

Spidergran3 Fri 26-Mar-21 20:06:00

Yes! My GC are 15, 5 and 3. Last year my DIL sent a video of the little ones when they saw their Easter Eggs. It’s guaranteed Easter Eggs until I’m pushing up daisies ?

grannyrebel7 Fri 26-Mar-21 14:36:22

I buy Easter eggs for everyone in the family, adults included! Everyone likes a bit of chocolate, don't they?

Blossoming Fri 26-Mar-21 12:00:53

Seacliff it’s the opposite way round here! It drives Mr. B mad as my egg is always very dark chocolate and he doesn’t like it. If it were milk chocolate I suspect it would be eaten by ‘mice’.

Amberone Fri 26-Mar-21 11:53:13

No we stopped buying them as a family when one year 2 GC got 5 eggs each from friends and family.

We still have an egg hunt for the young ones but have traded the chocolate eggs for wooden ones. Each wooden one has an IOU painted on for whoever finds it - IOU 1 comic, IOU a visit to the cinema, etc. Mainly very small things that the children like. They usually then all swap them, depending on who finds what so they all get what they want. The IOU might be from a parent, an aunt, a grandparent. One year we used Christmas decorations that you can take apart and put a small gift in each. Great fun to do for all of us.

Puzzler61 Fri 26-Mar-21 11:39:02

In addition to eggs - and at the risk of being called a bragger - I have also bought 2 bags of Bassetts Easter Chicks. They’re like Jelly Babies, but chicks.
They don’t make many and they are seasonal, so I got mine quickly when I saw them in a shop.
I shall be biting the head off first, just like with a jelly baby ?

seacliff Thu 25-Mar-21 14:41:51

If I didn't buy my OH an egg he would be most upset! Never too old for an Easter Egg in his opinion, even though it is much better value to buy a bar of chocolate. Annoyingly he eats just a little bit at a time, and it lasts about a month.

He gets me one too, gone in 2 days grin.

We don't see our boys much, and no g/c so that's all we buy.

Blossoming Thu 25-Mar-21 13:37:44

I didn’t notice anybody saying Easter Eggs are common. Has someone upset you GagaJo?

GagaJo Tue 23-Mar-21 09:23:43

I assume from some comments on here Easter eggs are regarded as common.

I don't care. I buy one for my GS. And a box of chocs for DD.

Franbern Tue 23-Mar-21 08:58:42

As my whole family are atheists, I usually refer to this time of the year as SpringFest. Covers it all - Eostre, Easter, Pesach (Passover), Lupercalia, Beltane, etc etc. As some of my g.children do not like chocolate (yes, there are some kids that do not!!), I have always just given them a fiver to spend as they wish during their school holidays. This continues until they are 18years. Do not buy, normally, for my AC. However, my eldest daughter is one of those into all those current gin drinks - she has been forced to work from home for some months, which she detests - so did send her, as a surprise, one of the new M&S Gin&Ton eggs.

She recieved it yesterday and I got a very delighted phone call in the evening. She had taken the previous week as a much overdue leave from her very stressful NHS Mental Heath job, and told me how hard it had been on her first day back. My surprise egg to her had so cheered her up.

Personallhy, I love the cream eggs, but am on diet at present so not able to have any of these.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 15-Mar-21 16:02:22

Oh dear - I buy them for DDs and Sil and GC, not expensive ones, under £5 each.

Pantglas2 Mon 15-Mar-21 15:53:31

I’ve given money for the past few years for them to buy their own and might revert to an egg this year. Have also done a basket full of different sized eggs for the whole family to enjoy ? but never got the basket ? back!

Popped to Lidl this morning and bought an Eton Mess one for me and Dark Mint for DH - first time ever......

sodapop Mon 15-Mar-21 15:49:34

Haven't bought Easter eggs for years as I always find they use inferior chocolate. I usually send all families selections of proper chocolate.

toppers Mon 15-Mar-21 15:42:07

Yes still buy them. 1 each for adult children and grandchildren.

sandye Sat 13-Mar-21 13:09:32

I don't buy after the youngest child is 18, that way no one gets left out, and it's a rule that seems sensible

Jodieb Sat 13-Mar-21 12:35:30

Thanks for all your replies. I'm quite amazed how many of you buy for AC and sad that several of you buy for everyone but don't get one bought for yourselves.

I love to buy the cheap ones before Easter and keep them upstairs for an occasional nibble.

Joesoap Fri 12-Mar-21 21:48:24

In the country where we live they dont have chocolate Easter eggs, but I always buy them when in the UK for myself and small ones for the Grandchildren, but this year will be the first year without a chocolate egg because we cant leave here or enter the UK. Boris has a lot to answer for!

Tangerine Fri 12-Mar-21 20:32:29

If it gives you pleasure to buy them, why not?

Do your grandchildren like chocolate? If so, they will enjoy the eggs.

I am in my 60s and would be delighted if someone bought me an Easter egg!!

CBBL Fri 12-Mar-21 19:50:17

Yes, we buy them for each other - my husband and I. There are no small children in the family, youngest grandchildren are grown ups!

mrsba Fri 12-Mar-21 19:23:55

I buy Fairtrade chocolate bars from a charity, no plastic/cardboard waste and a charity benefits too.

Elvis58 Fri 12-Mar-21 17:46:00

Yes, l used to do an easter egg hunt when l lived nearer.But will send their mothers money to buy an eggs.They are 15, 2 at 12, 1 at 5.

Alioop Fri 12-Mar-21 16:53:31

We have stopped Easter Eggs this year. All kids grown up now and adults complaining about Lockdown weight gain, so no one wants chocolate. I'm going to bake shortbread in shapes of bunnies, etc, and put in little bags. Still not a healthy option though lol

Retired65 Fri 12-Mar-21 16:43:26

Yes, I still buy them for my grown up children aged 31 and 29. I also buy one for my husband. No one buys one for me so I buy myself one.

Witzend Fri 12-Mar-21 16:35:51

I’ll be buying a small one for each Gdc (they don’t get a lot) a bigger one for dh, and something chocolately for dds - one of them loves Ferrero Rocher so that’s easy. The other is more into Hotel Chocolat type stuff.
Dh always buys me one, too.

Last year I knitted chicks in eggs* for little Gdcs but TBH they were much more interested in the mini chocolate eggs I put inside, so I don’t think I’ll be making anything this year.,

*Theres a free pattern on Alan Dart’s website, in case anyone would like to know.

glammanana Fri 12-Mar-21 16:28:21

DD always has a Thorntons egg with her name on she is 49,grown up son''s 38 & 45 would stamp their feet if they didn't get a Terry's Choc Orange its tradition here,3 smallest DGC & GGCs get small eggs and a present from the Easter Bunny.

lemongrove Fri 12-Mar-21 16:23:14

Not for the AC, but I do give flowers. The DGC are given small Lindt bunnies each ( even the teenager) and a present or bit of cash.No Easter eggs for ourselves as we don’t eat chocolate.