Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Dilemma

(149 Posts)
Nonna1day Mon 05-Apr-21 13:59:51

Just found out I’m going to be a granny yesterday. I cried and cried...more so because I’d like to be involved as a grandparent but feeling so sorry because my DIL is all about her large family and I’m always brushed to the side and left alone. I was a divorced mom who always put my son first. I never had a relationship because my son was my priority. I have no siblings nor aunts or uncles. It was just us. We were so close....always together...until he met this lady. The first time I met her, she told me that she has never met her grandparents and uncles on her dads side, who live in town, because her dad stopped talking to them on the day her parents were married because they were jealous of her mother! Wow! Then I told my son I was worried that this will happen to us if he gets involved with that family. That’s what they are used to! The mother runs the how and they are very overpowering! He assured me it wouldn’t happen with him. Well she slowly alienated him from his 2 lifelong best friends and me. Its all about her large family now. They live 5 minutes away from me and I hardly see them. Maybe a handful of times a year. However they are always socializing with her family every weekend. My son never comes to see me alone...he says she’ll get upset...for the last 2 years I’ve given and given. Kept my mouth shut because I know he tells her everything. The last couple of months have been heartbreaking...I’ve had health issues and I’ve gotten one short text from my son weekly or a 5 minute phone call weekly, asking how I’m doing! He can’t get off the phone fast enough. Never anything from her. I have always prepared the big holiday meals but this week haven’t been well and was feeling down and told them so...so she said she’d do something. It ended up being a brief backyard visit...after lunch yesterday with a bottle of water. Outdoor because of Covid according to her. No food should exchange hands....On Friday however they went to her mothers place and spent the entire day there with the 10 people of her family. A few who are hospital workers. She said they were outside but it was a terribly cold day and I doubt that totally...7 hours outside! Anyway yesterday, outside with masks, after they opened the gifts and groceries for a festive meal, I brought them, I was told that I’m going to be a grandma. I started crying uncontrollably...they thought these were tears of happiness..but more so they were tears of sorrow because I know I will never be let to have a loving, close relationship with this child. My son asked her if he could hug me...she didn’t reply...he asked again...she didn’t reply again! (Imagine! he feels that he has to ask for her permission to hug his mother!) He then got up and hugged me. I hadn’t been hugged since last Feb when Covid started! After an hour or so, she hinted that they had to start cooking their Easter dinner...the food I brought them...I understood it was time for me to leave. A couple of hours later I realized I forgot my sunglasses there. Turning the corner I saw her parents car in the driveway...I went to the back yard and picked up my glasses. They were inside the house...eating. Even though they had her family meal in Friday. There they were together again! Nobody saw me. Imagine how hurt I am feeling. They know I’m alone...not once did they ever invite me to any of their many functions with her family. My son saw how I treated my parents...always cooked and cleaned for them...looked after them both at home when they were dying. Anyway now...I don’t know what to do. Am I suppose to call her directly weekly and ask her how she’s feeling during this pregnancy or just do what she does for me...do nothing?...either way she will find fault with it. How do I treat this pregnancy situation? How do I handle this relationship that is tearing me apart!

Gran16 Thu 08-Apr-21 17:03:37

Thank you for your comments. I really think counselling is valuable in these circumstances. I tried many ways to be involved but whatever I did was thrown back in my face which just drags you down further.
Counselling made me realise that I had to value my worth and not allow myself to be destroyed by these uncaring people .. hard to believe I brought them up and all the sacrifices I made and I've never asked for much. Shame on them sad

DillytheGardener Thu 08-Apr-21 20:53:11

I think the tendency is to over generalise. The reason I had issues with my mil and dil are different from why Smileless had issues with her DS and dil, and again the same goes for the other posters on here. We are all different with different backgrounds and family dynamics.

I definitely think that mils struggling with not being over bearing with their dils is generational, my own mother told me to tow the line with my mil when she was being rude and interfering in my family life, because she was older and I must be respectful of her.

But equally some dils/sils are controlling, DS1’s childhood friend’s partner won’t let him keep in contact with his friends including my son or his parents (my friends they were all in the same baby group). If you watched the bbc show ‘ abused by my girlfriend’ about Alex Skeel, a victim of domestic abuse and control, there are many many reasons for ‘no contact’, the skeel case is extreme, but some posters on here seem to think all mils are at fault. They aren’t! Sometimes it’s both the parents and children equally at fault, some times the dil being blamed when it’s actually the son, sometimes the dil. It’s a mixed bag that’s for sure. I feel for those on the estrangement forum where outside posters blame all mils for their extremely sad situations.

Okdokey08 Thu 08-Apr-21 23:44:33

Sorry but I haven’t even read all the replies, and so sorry twice if you’ve already been offered opinions or advice similar to mine. I was both hurt and angry at your situation, but not surprised. I have had a slightly similar situation.... so will tell you now.... this relationship won’t last, your son is all about pleasing her. Whilst I agree he should now be on his new journey with his family, NO ONE who was loved and cared for should forget their parents. He might feel he is free of the responsibility of “only the two of you” but he has swapped this for a similar pattern, and he probably believes this is his “duty”. I totally understand you feeling left behind, left out, ignored, but this is down to your son. You have to have it out with him and tell him you deserve the same respect they give her family, even if it means falling out with him, as he needs to MAN UP!!
Tip toeing around this is not getting you anywhere, but making him ( and her) examine their conscience might help. Yes he might go and sulk for a few days, but if indeed you have been a good and supportive mother to him, then you deserve to be acknowledged as such. Good luck... I’m a bit of a straight talker, I’d have it out, no matter the consequences

Nonna1day Fri 09-Apr-21 13:06:23

Oh no...Due to Covid I haven’t been allowed in their house...the handful of times I’ve seen them, for very short visits, this past year has been at a distance, outside and with masks on. However her family...another story! My sons father is treated the same was as I am.

Skydancer Fri 09-Apr-21 21:54:10

As a woman I can't understand how much influence wives exert over their husbands. Watch any TV programme about buying a house. The husband almost always says something along the lines of, "Well, if she likes it, I like it". They almost always go along with what the woman wants. I just don't know why but it must be ingrained. Men don't appreciate other people's feelings as much as women do. Women are more intuitive generally. I know I am. I can read people and can assess a situation easily but most men seem unaware. What I'm trying to say is that your son may not even realise how you are hurting.

EMOT Sun 11-Apr-21 10:57:20

This is the saddest story of the week for me. We are also in the middle of a very very painful situation with our son and his wife....and I’d say that unless you have experienced this kind of pain you can’t really understand. It’s like many things in life...completely different when it’s you going through it.
You have my deepest sympathy and full understanding of your pain. It literally tears you apart. I cannot offer advice as everything I’ve tried seems to have failed which just leads to more deep pain. I so hope you get to have a loving relationship with your grandchild. Mine have been whipped away from me after 10 years of a very close fun relationship with them.

MollyAA12 Sun 11-Apr-21 11:01:21

As someone bought up in care I have learned over the years when I am not wanted. Us orphanage kids are astute and wise.
If someone treats me badly I literlly 'pull down the shutters'. It is a survival strategy and it works.
If anyone has ever questioned why they have not heard from me, I shoot from the ship and just tell them diplomatically that I do not like the way I was treated and want to bow out. I have not done this on numerous occasions.
My husband;s family have always treated me like rubbish because I had no family and came from care.
I stood the maltreatment for a few years and then one day I thought 'I don't have to put u with this rubbish' so I dumped them fair and square.
It works! It teaches you self reliance.
I never had children but believe that just because you have children youdo not have to accept their behaviour particularly when they are grown people. Why should you accept rubbish behaviour?

Tanjamaltija Sun 11-Apr-21 11:07:41

He tells her everything - so call him and say that you went back for the glasses, and realised that she had prompted you to leave so that her parents would not turn up and you'd still be there. Tell him that it hurt, but don't expect him to apologise. Do not be tempted to ask whether they enjoyed the food - they ought to have told you without prompting. Then ask after her, and ring off.

Knopflerfan Sun 11-Apr-21 11:13:08

Nannalday —- I often need some of those Big Girl Knickers and now I shall thank you for that idea whenever I need to find a pair!
(Shades of Bridget Jones — ?) Many of us are still learning to be assertive or brave, I’m just so glad that my children and grandchildren have been brought up to find it normal.

Anitae Sun 11-Apr-21 13:42:06

I don't think your son is selfish as some have said but that he is in a manipulative relationship. My son had little time for us and did everything with his ex partners family for many years until he finally broke free of her. I'm glad to say we have him back with us now and hopefully my grandson too when the custody battle is over. I would find interests of my own and allow them to carry on. Not worth getting upset over and it won't change how she is with you. Do the normal things Christmas and birthdays etc but stuff buying them food for them to enjoy with her family. Spend your money on yourself and spend time with friends or find some new ones to enjoy interests with.

Jue1 Sun 11-Apr-21 15:03:02

Two years ago I met my sister for lunch, it was my idea and I wanted to build our relationship as it has struggled over the years. I was hoping we could perhaps ‘do’ lunch once a month after that. We met at a lovely little restaurant and ordered the meal. Then, out of the blue she raised a political issue. We have similar values but differing views of how our Country should move forward.
I suggested we don’t talk about politics, we’re not particularly involved but she became very excited and personal and was raising her voice. I asked her to leave that subject, we both differ too much. She lost it, and started getting very angry, shouting and drawing attention to us. I can not stress enough that my aim was for us to enjoy our family relationship again.
Eventually, I had to leave, it seemed that she was not going to calm down and for me, the lunch was ruined.
On arriving home I was upset and sent her a very loving note and said that I loved her dearly and one area of our lives that we disagree on should not dictate the rest of our lives.
She didn’t reply.
My brother who we both see fairly regularly rang me and felt she had stored up many grievances (real and perceived) over the years and that lunch became the moment when she voiced them.
Those “grievances” were small things in anybody’s view and as my brother pointed out she is a little unstable because of a sad divorce and her two boys do not see her.
I can not get that meeting out of my mind and feel dumbfounded and sad.
However, I also feel that my note was a loving note and aimed to move things on and she ignored it and I haven’t heard from her since and perhaps this is what she wanted all along.
Your thoughts would be welcome.

pearl79 Sun 11-Apr-21 15:33:58

hi nonna1day,
i hope you’re still watching this thread, and i hope you will read my post in the positive light i’m sending it. i feel very sad that you’re going through this heartache, but as with most things in life the only things you can change are your own actions (and the way you feel about others’ actions).
you’ve given several clues about your situation, and perhaps the most important is in your “name”. “grandma one day”. it’s what you’ve been living for for so long. please don’t punish yourself for what is not your fault, and spoil your grandma experience.
i’m guessing you were, and still are, devastated by your divorce and the things that led up to it. the broken promises. you took the decision to centre your entire life around your son, which has necessarily left you alone since he made his very natural next move in his life. and you’ve been hurting ever since.
i'm going to ask you to consider several important things.
why do you think your future dil told you, the first time you met, that she had “never met her grandparents and uncles on her dads side”? might she, perhaps, have felt she’d missed out and been hoping to have a warm friendship with you? and if so, how do you think she felt when she heard (or felt from your reaction to her) your negativity to the idea her “one” might “get involved with” her. i think it may have been at that point that you set the foundations for being “in competition with” her family. and that was a “battle” you were always going to lose, however much you may not have intended it to be a battle.
you’ve said that whatever you do, “either way she will find fault with it”. perhaps so, but are you not doing the same?
and perhaps worse, are you not putting yourself into the position of victim, and making all the facts fit? whatever happens, you see things as being intended against you.
when you were bringing up your son and “putting him first”, was that in the hope he would never marry and would always put you first? or was it in the hope he would grow up to live a full and happy life, including making friendships of his own? and then having children of his own. and hopefully not “following in the footsteps” of whatever it was your husband did to you?
so why am i saying all this? certainly not to add to your pain in any way. but hopefully to give you some clues as to what to do next. how to change this awful situation, full of hurt that’s grinding you into the ground.
perhaps if you were to take yourself back to the time when your husband hurt you so badly and you were forced to barricade (bury) yourself to survive? that’s something you need to deal with. perhaps by dealing first with the loneliness you must have felt.
if i were you i would ignore all the advice to confront your dil or even your son. all you can tell them, at the moment, is what they already know: that you are desperately unhappy and desperately lonely.
i think you need to start the clock ticking again. your dream has come true, you are about to be a grandma. grandma1day has become nonna very soon.
i think it might help if you were to begin to look outwards. join as many groups as you can find. online for now, real life when possible. perhaps a knitting group so you can knit for your new love? perhaps a philosophy class at your local u3a? maybe something that will aid your health? doesn’t matter what, but something to give you a conversation that doesn’t include “what you should do” or “how hurt i am”. perhaps “look what i painted today” or “did you know that the ancient egyptians used to …?”
i wish you the very best. you will need to be strong. come on to gransnet for support. people will uplift you because they care, not because it’s their duty.

Loislovesstewie Sun 11-Apr-21 18:01:27

pearl79, you have said exactly what I have been thinking.

Ydoc Sun 11-Apr-21 19:19:31

You shouldn't have crept back and got your sunglasses you should have let them know you saw them. Its unbelievable how your son is treating you. I think you should let him kniw in no uncertain terms. You have nothing to lose. I am in a bit of a opposite situation i spoilt my daughter, she was catered for in every way imaginable. We were very close. But now she has become like her husband, i have a gorgeous granddaughter. But i only see her on their terms and when it totally suits them. They have yet again changed plans for tomorrow. I was so looking forward to having her. They are oblivious and uncaring of anyone but themselves. So like you i keep quiet for fear of not seeing her, but it kills me. If i were you i eould act now before the child is born because you wont be able to afterwards.

Summerlove Mon 12-Apr-21 02:16:57

Ydoc

You shouldn't have crept back and got your sunglasses you should have let them know you saw them. Its unbelievable how your son is treating you. I think you should let him kniw in no uncertain terms. You have nothing to lose. I am in a bit of a opposite situation i spoilt my daughter, she was catered for in every way imaginable. We were very close. But now she has become like her husband, i have a gorgeous granddaughter. But i only see her on their terms and when it totally suits them. They have yet again changed plans for tomorrow. I was so looking forward to having her. They are oblivious and uncaring of anyone but themselves. So like you i keep quiet for fear of not seeing her, but it kills me. If i were you i eould act now before the child is born because you wont be able to afterwards.

You raised a spoiled child and are...blaming her husband for her being selfish?

I think biting your tongue is a good idea.

Hithere Mon 12-Apr-21 13:09:38

Summerlove

Bingo

Vintager Mon 12-Apr-21 22:52:21

My advice differs from the ones I have read here. I would put the past to bed and wipe the slate clean.
You are a grandmother to be and that changes everything. You have a right to be involved closely with the developing pregnancy. I would be ringing my son and dil at least once a week excitedly showing your enthusiasm for being a grandmother. If you speak to dil act as if you think she is the most amazing dil and mother to be you could wish for. In my experience treat someone as if they are wonderful and they will respond warmly and include you.
Find out about all things baby and say to your dil eg. did you see the cute baby grows in Next etc. Get yourself involved. Make it your mission.
Also can you contact dil’s mother and share your excitement about grandchild to be with her?
Advice about joining a knitting club is good because you can start knitting baby things.

CafeAuLait Mon 12-Apr-21 22:59:13

Vintager, I have to disagree. She does not have a right to be closely involved with the developing pregnancy. It's not her body or her medical information. I told my MIL how things were going, the sex of the baby and when it was due. Other than that, what was happening in my body was private. I'm pretty open about sharing such things but others might not be. It could come across as quite intrusive.

Hithere Mon 12-Apr-21 23:31:13

Nobody has a right to anybody else's medical history.

CafeAuLait Tue 13-Apr-21 00:01:14

Adding, suddenly starting to call gushing about the pregnancy once a week might get a response of, "Now that we are having a baby mother is suddenly all interested in us." They'll maybe think you just want the baby, not them. Relationship with the parents first, then relationship with the child.

LovelyCuppa Tue 13-Apr-21 08:23:11

Surely Vintager's post is a wind up set to rile.

Vintager Tue 13-Apr-21 10:29:11

It wasn’t actually that at all @vintagecuppa. Maybe I am looking at things through my own lens but it’s my view of the world. My own grown up children never had a grandmother as they both passed away before they were born. It has made me think of grandmothers as precious. I’m not a grandmother myself.
I see now that other people are different and trying to win over people with charm may not work. (Although it has in my life)
Sorry if it has caused offence. ?

Lolo81 Tue 13-Apr-21 14:06:18

Vintager, I can actually see your point a little bit. My old gran used to say “you catch more flies with honey than vinegar”, and to be honest I try mostly to be nice and kind to people. I think that’s what was at the heart of your advice?
Unfortunately in this case it might be too little, too late. Being super involved and nice just to see a baby isn’t (IMO) the best way to repair a fractured relationship.