Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

New grandparents

(54 Posts)
62Granny Thu 06-May-21 16:31:40

Our daughter phoned us last night to inform us that she is expecting, early days yet so not going public, why am I posting you may enquire, obviously my husband and I are pleased but she has never really been the motherly type, she likes children but always said she liked them in small doses. She has been married for 7 years and with her husband for 10. They always seemed content and has never mentioned wanting a child but apparently have been trying since the wedding, she is late 30s so an older mum. I had her in my 20s and never felt the need for a second child. We speak more or less daily. She doesn't live locally and am wondering how to support her now and after the birth.

Grandyma Mon 10-May-21 11:13:47

Obviously it was news you weren’t expecting but now that you’ve taken it in, let her know how thrilled you are for them, ask what she needs, let her know you’re there for her no matter what. Being a grandmother is a joy like no other. Congratulations

Jemma75 Tue 11-May-21 02:11:52

Congratulations! The advice offered above is excellent and I can't add anything.
Wishing you and your family a wonderful experience. Enjoy.

cassandra264 Tue 11-May-21 07:09:04

As so many have already said - just ask - but keep on asking as time goes by!

I remember my own mother being surprised that I took so well to motherhood myself. She herself had been a young mother who, by her own admission, rather regretted not having the years of independence I did before starting a family.
We didn't live near to each other, either.
And she was used to my being able to cope with new challenges.

However, this did not mean that more offers of help wouldn't have been welcome, especially when the chips were down. I suffered a miscarriage at one time, and a serious physical illness at another, leaving me incapable for some months of looking after myself, let alone a young child.

Just keep your ear to the ground. Even if she doesn't always say yes to your own offers of assistance, they will always be appreciated.

And always tell her what a brilliant job she's doing!