Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Feeling 'required' to take care of my granddaughter

(80 Posts)
babs75 Sun 04-Jul-21 03:08:35

So I will probably take some heat but I need to vent. My son and his wife have 2 granddaughters. The oldest is almost 3, the other one is 10 months. My son works full time, his wife is a stay at home mom. Her mom lives overseas and has been unable to visit because of covid. She usually comes and stays for 2 months at a time. My husband and I have great relationships with both of the grand kids. They live down the street and my husband and I visit a couple times a week. My husband is retired so he spends a lot of time away at some vacation property we own. I work full time - my job has gone virtual - and I'm also guardian and conservator for my 94 year old dad who is in memory care. I take a few exercise classes a week, also. I get Saturday and Sunday off which are my only 2 days a week to get done what I need to for myself and attend to my dad's care. For the last 6 months, my husband and I have been cleaning out his house so we can sell it. The estate sale is this weekend. My son asked me this afternoon if I would take his 2 year old for an hour or two. I had not done that for awhile and I couldn't do anything at dad's house because of the estate sale so I did and of course the house gets destroyed in short order but we made cookies and had fun. I'm exhausted when she leaves. My son announced when I took her home that he wants (expects?) me to take her for an hour or two every Saturday. I told him I would think about it but he kept bringing it up and bringing it up and insisting. He said he wants her to have a good relationship with her grandma (which she already does - there is no problem there). I felt a bit hurt and I told him that I only get 2 days a week off to do my own stuff and that I really don't want to schedule something else but he wouldn't take no for an answer. I'm sure there are many out there who would say they would gladly do that but maybe I'm not like that but I really feel like he's imposing on me by insisting I do this. I dont' think he should dictate my time, my schedule knowing that I'm already busy all week with work. How do I tactfully deal with this? If I don't do this, he'll be in my face about it.

Kim19 Sun 04-Jul-21 03:31:07

Your time is your own to do with as you wish. Me? I would jump at the chance to have my GC but that's a different matter and I currently have more time to do so than you seem to. Is there room for compromise here? Could you perhaps have GD every other weekend? Find the fact that son 'insists' somewhat uncomfortable. I would make myself unavailable now and again by arranging a different appointment or even staying away from home now and again so that I was physically unavailable but that's me. I think you have to nip this in the bud or it will quickly become the norm. Your son sounds a little bit controlling but I've maybe read too much into your words. Presumably your husband is aware of this situation? Perhaps he could intervene. Good luck.

babs75 Sun 04-Jul-21 03:44:32

My son has a way of going on and on and on and his wife did not intervene when he was talking to me. Her mom does not work, never has, and lives in Europe where I think things are different. She would have loved to have been here during the last year to help but she can't. Yes, my husband knows because I called him where he is up camping at our place and I was nearly in tears. He knows exactly how our son is. I know he will say something to him which will just make things uncomfortable. So why doesn't my son ask my husband to take her for a couple hours on the weekend? Because I'm 'mom'. My son as a way of laying guilt trips on people that I don't like. This is not the first time he's done this to me and I know if I didn't work he would want me to babysit for full days which I would never do They are talking about having a third child. I am pushing back against that because I know that would just make things worse. My son did sound surprised at the fact the 2 year old behaves perfectly for me because she really does but then that's what grandma's are for. She and her mom have a lot of problems and I think there's a lot of burnout going on there. 2 years old going on 12...... They are looking into preschool this fall to give everyone a break from each other.

nanna8 Sun 04-Jul-21 04:23:34

Your time is your own babs and if you are working hard weekends are very precious and necessary to recharge. Maybe say that to your son ? I would try to come to a compromise and perhaps every other week or whatever is comfortable for you, not him. Don’t let him brow beat you because that is just unfair on all of you.

welbeck Sun 04-Jul-21 04:52:45

you have o stand up for yourself.
it is not his place to order you around.
you sound like you are trying to justify why you should be excused; that is the wrong approach. that is giving him the power, like an employer whom you are begging something from.
don't discuss, don't explain.
simply state. and repeat as necessary.
broken record method.
read up on assertive communication.
see dr les carter on youtube.
good luck.

BlueBelle Sun 04-Jul-21 04:55:58

All I ll say is those precious moments don’t ever come back, before you blink the 2 year old will be 12 then 20 and you may so wish you could have that time back
It sounds as if your husband doesn’t have much to do with any grandkids care either, perhaps neither of you are very toddler orientated and that’s ok if your aren’t, everyone’s different
An hour or two a week isn’t much is it ? But as your posts come across you work full time from home , have exercise classes in the week visit your Dad he’s in memory care does that mean he’s in a care home? So you have a full life which doesn’t really leave room for grandchildren and that’s absolutely fine
I d love to have my grown up grandkids back to being little again meeting them out of school taking them to the beach having them on sleepovers kisses and cuddles building memories
We are all different

CafeAuLait Sun 04-Jul-21 05:02:29

I think the problem here is that you are not firm in your stance and haven't given a clear 'no' yet. He chose to have the children so he gets too watch them. If you want to watch them from time to time, you get to say what the limits on that are. Say no and 'topic closed'. Tell him what you are prepared to do.

Where does this expectation of his come from? Did he spend a lot of time being cared for by his own Gran?

babs75 Sun 04-Jul-21 05:21:28

Neither my parents or my husband's parents ever watched our kids, not even once, and they both lived here in town. My husband and I have discussed this many, many times: we had no help. Yes, I took them to daycare because we both worked full time so yes, I guess I got a break that way, but no, neither of our parents were ever involved in my kids. I think this whole comes from the fact that his mother-in-law is very different from me. She doesn't work. She doesn't drive. She is involved in her grandkids care (from her son who still lives in Europe). It is a very different situation and it is a different culture where my daughter-in-law comes from. I feel as though I am am involved as much as I can and want to be right now. Maybe things will be better once we can get my dad's house listed and I can get out from having to maintain it. He is in a memory care facility and hasn't lived there for 1-1/2 years.

Eviebeanz Sun 04-Jul-21 05:29:08

Does your son give a reason for why they need that childcare on Saturday for one to two hours? It sounds very specific to me.
If it is childcare to provide respite for mum so to speak then the timing could be negotiable.
I can't say anything about being firm about looking after grandchildren- we see ours very often -they do wear us out but we do miss them if we don't see them. Ther we're here yesterday and as they got into the car the oldest one said "I love you nanny" which of course made the tidying afterwards go much quicker

BlueBelle Sun 04-Jul-21 05:55:26

Well the bit I don’t understand is they aren’t ‘over asking’ because you don’t seem to do any child care for them apart from this new, quite small request of 2 hours a week
Perhaps it’s the way it was asked, or perhaps you just don’t wish to do any childcare, as you life is full without
Your choice

agnurse Sun 04-Jul-21 06:35:23

Whether you choose to have the little one every week is up to you.

However, whether they have a third child or not is something you need to stay out of. You don't get to dictate their reproductive choices.

lemsip Sun 04-Jul-21 06:54:29

Surely you could do 2 hours a week, .......does your son know you have an attitude about it, perhaps he wouldn't ask you if he knew.

H1954 Sun 04-Jul-21 07:05:41

I might be missing something but, why is your retired husband away at your holiday home whilst you are working full time, checking in on your Dad, having only two days off a week and running your house? OH does sound a bit selfish in his absence.
Two hours a week child care is not a great deal compared to many GParents on here. However, none of this excuses your sons insistence on you caring for the 2year old. If there is problems between that child and her mum it needs working on now not in the years to come.

MissAdventure Sun 04-Jul-21 07:09:48

As an adult, how you spend your time when not working is entirely up to you.
Stand your ground and just repeat that you can't/don't want to.
It doesn't matter if "you could" because your time is your own.

CafeAuLait Sun 04-Jul-21 07:10:02

Two hours a week would be a huge ask for me. I'm so busy caring for others finding that time would be difficult. What I'd do then is tell them when I could do those two hours. For example, I have appointments with people Mon, Tues and Fri mornings, so I can do two hours in the afternoon of those days if they can get him here to me. I can't factor in another 2.5 hours travel on top of the two hours.

I never had any help from grandparents either really (my mother watched mine about once every two years) but I'd try to make the time. It would need to be negotiated when though. I do have one afternoon a week 'off' for a few hours. That time would be off limits.

Of course OP, if you just don't want to do it, say no and be clear about it. If they need care at that time that much, they can employ a babysitter.

DillytheGardener Sun 04-Jul-21 07:12:25

It’s not helpful, but I would JUMP at the chance of looking after my grandchild once a week. Alas my dgc lives in NZ and it shall be goodness how long before I can see them.

Your time as you say is yours to with as you like, so you must do what you think is best. But it is quite a small request and during Covid there are less people available to help young couples with children. They don’t have the support of her mother that they anticipated and as Covid is unprecedented perhaps it would be the kind thing to do lend a hand once a week?

You can have a chat explaining you don’t like being brow beaten into ‘requests’, but if you can I’d help if possible.

dragonfly46 Sun 04-Jul-21 07:13:54

I am amazed at how judgemental some of the posters come across.
OP has a very busy life working full time, looking after Dad, clearing his house.
She already says she has a good relationship with GD.
I entirely understand that she doesn’t want a couple of hours childcare on top every Saturday.
Two hours could easily turn into all day.
As someone said why not every other week or once a month?

CafeAuLait Sun 04-Jul-21 07:18:51

Two hours is not a small ask for everyone. :-/ And not just because they don't want to but due to other responsibilities.

DillytheGardener Sun 04-Jul-21 07:20:20

I hope I wasn’t judgemental. My opinion is of course through the filter of not having met my dgc yet because of Covid. OP can pick and choose which opinions she chooses to listen or not listen to. My mil did a significant amount of free childcare so I that could go back to full time work. If my dgc lived in the U.K I would have then carried the favour forward and done the same childcare for my own dgc.
Every family is different.

CafeAuLait Sun 04-Jul-21 07:23:21

It's nice if you can Dilly. Some grandparents are still raising their families, some have children they're still raising with special needs and are dealing with very challenging personal circumstances. If one of the grown children then decides you must do this thing for them regularly, two hours can feel like an awful lot more to fit in. The last thing some people need is an additional responsibility when they already have too many.

Spice101 Sun 04-Jul-21 07:27:52

I think the biggest issue here is the attitude of the OP's son. It seems that he has decided that the OP is going to do as he wants and that is that.

While it may be a privilege to have one's grandchildren entrusted to them, it is not the right of the AC to decide that will happen at their insistence without taking into consideration the grandparents situation.

DillytheGardener Sun 04-Jul-21 07:29:41

CafeAuLait exactly which is why I said every family is different. In my community, my neighbours and friends locally, grandparents are very involved with childcare. It’s quite old fashioned (in a nice way) where I live, and most families have lived here for generations. Childcare is easier when you live a street or a few houses away, but obviously it is more difficult if your dgc live on the other side of town!

vegansrock Sun 04-Jul-21 07:35:53

What are they doing every Saturday that they need childcare? Just say sorry, can’t commit to every week.

CafeAuLait Sun 04-Jul-21 07:39:24

Dilly, your arrangement is probably the ideal for many people. I would watch my grandchildren but the when and how long for and how often would be on my terms. I have a full life that is not yet my own.

Katyj Sun 04-Jul-21 08:04:58

Your sons attitude seems a bit off but maybe it’s because your being undecided. You have a very busy life, couldn’t your husband do a bit more, is he much older than you? I would agree to have your granddaughter every other week, leaving time for you, and time to get to know her too.