Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Happy reunion, with sad reality.

(35 Posts)
schnackie Tue 21-Sep-21 13:53:00

I've lived in England for over 20 years, have British citizenship, passport and love this country. However with the covid pandemic, I was not able to see my beloved DGS & DGD for two+ years, as they live in New York. They were 5 & 6 the last time I visited, so now 7 & 8 - big changes! When I got my heart set on a visit this August, I was dismayed to learn that the bloody US was not accepting UK citizens! Well, I scrambled and with much difficulty and a bit of luck I was able to get an appointment at the US embassy in London and renew my US passport! In the event, I went and had an amazing visit! The children enjoyed every minute and didn't want me to leave. So that is the happy part. But whilst there, I was thinking about all the horrible school shootings that happen in the US, and tried to think of a way to ask the children about this topic. I asked about fire drills at schools, and then asked if there were any other 'drills' that they might have. They both responded energetically with "Oh yes, we have a drill for Uninvited Visitors" Oh my God, it sent a chill down my spine. They described how the school went into lockdown and how they hid in bathrooms and closets. My heart breaks even writing about this. I pray that they will never have this situation and try and focus on the wonderful, safe neighbourhood they live in, the happy childhood they are having, and my lovely DD and SIL who are loving parents. But being a grandparent includes worry doesn't it? Not really looking for advice, just sharing.

Hithere Sun 17-Oct-21 12:50:46

Mamabear20

Spot on

M0nica Sun 17-Oct-21 11:56:42

I agree with Welbeck is it any difference from having earthquake training in Californian and Japanese schools or fire drill. Japanese schools also have tsunami drill

Without diminishing the horror of the school shootings in the US, how many schools are there in the US, 100,000? probably more. How many school shootings are there in the US each year. I would probably be exagerating if I said a dozen, so there is a 1:9,000 plus of any school bing attacked, so the risk is very low, but why not be prepared?

In this country we are obsessed by stranger danger and schools lock down and let no one in, in case someone attacks and abducts a child, but each day happily lets the children go home, whwer probably one in every class, will be sexually abused by a close family member or close friend of the family.

MamaBear20 Sun 17-Oct-21 11:03:12

American mom here. Yes, the children in our country sadly do have lock down drills in case of an active shooter. Elementary school age children are told that there’s a fox on the playground or there’s a raccoon in the school. The teacher locks the door and the children hide under and behind the teachers desk and stay quiet until the principal comes around and tells them the drill is over.

The problem with school shootings have more to do with the mental health crisis in our country than gun ownership. Americans have always owned guns but elementary school shootings didn’t happen 20 years ago.

silverlining48 Tue 05-Oct-21 09:39:48

Assume you would be staying a few weeks given the distance so I would consider renting somewhere nearby. You can then please yourself about when you go back to your accommodation or if you stay over with them for a day or two.
It gives everyone a breathing space.

mariella22 Tue 05-Oct-21 09:07:17

Sorry posted at the foot of the one I read instead of new post ....

mariella22 Tue 05-Oct-21 09:04:06

Any thoughts on staying with DS and DD and grandchildren when on a longed for visit after 2 years to see then in their new home America. DD has been diffucult and argumentative in the past year with a few fall outs . They bicker about everything . I think we should stay in a hotel and meet up , much as,I would live to read bedtime stories to the little ones and chat over breakfast . I am torn .

GillT57 Wed 22-Sep-21 18:44:51

Whatever Welbeck. You seem to be deliberately misconstruing whatever I post. Let's just leave it

JaneJudge Wed 22-Sep-21 14:52:29

They do actually do these practise drills in the UK now too. I understand why it is more of a worry in America though. Being British it is difficult to imagine why anyone would want a gun, let alone worrying that other people have them.

I'm glad you got to see your family smile

welbeck Wed 22-Sep-21 14:49:29

some dealings in a regulatory way.
my comments above are to GillT57.

welbeck Wed 22-Sep-21 14:47:05

you seem to be saying that because american children face extra risks, compared with in the uk, therefore they ought to have no protection or planning for those risks, and ought to be exposed also to the risks that we have, eg kinder surprise eggs.
you obviously do not mean that.
i did not mock your post. i disagreed with it.
why mock mine. i have had some dealings with child safety.

welbeck Wed 22-Sep-21 14:42:32

so why mention the kinder eggs ban then.
would you prefer if american children had the equality of that hazard in addition to firearms risk.
your point does not seem logical to me.
likewise with the kevlar backpacks.
given that there are extra risks from various weapons, it sounds as if you object to the availability of knife resistant backpacks.
i think it sounds like a good idea. if i lived here and could afford it, i would get one for the children.

GillT57 Wed 22-Sep-21 11:52:25

welbeck

children have died from the contents of kinder surprise eggs.
the prevalence of firearms is an entirely different issue.

and today's prize for stating the obvious goes to.....

welbeck Wed 22-Sep-21 01:17:34

children have died from the contents of kinder surprise eggs.
the prevalence of firearms is an entirely different issue.

nadateturbe Tue 21-Sep-21 21:19:00

WellbEck

nadateturbe Tue 21-Sep-21 21:18:28

Agree with Wellback.

CanadianGran Tue 21-Sep-21 21:11:21

It is understandably a sad fact of today's life that they have such safety drills, but a good thing they are having them. I remember having 'duck and cover' drills in the 60's, but it was to do with the Cold War and the tension between US and USSR, with of coarse Canada being in the airspace between them.

Of all the stupid things to happen, there were demonstrators against vaccinations that went into a school in southern BC this week. The school had to go into a lockdown until demonstrators were removed. What they hoped to accomplish other than scaring students and teachers I'm not sure.

We also have fire and earthquake drills. Better prepared than sorry.

Grannyben Tue 21-Sep-21 20:54:42

Ooh, drills not drugsconfused

Grannyben Tue 21-Sep-21 20:53:48

I know that it sounds really dramatic but, I'm sure these drills are carried out in an age appropriate manner and the children won't be disturbed by it at all.
My grandchildren go to a small local primary school in Yorkshire and they have been having these drugs for a few years. The little ones are put into a locked cupboard, usually because there is a loose dog in the playground. It's just routine for them

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 21-Sep-21 19:06:38

The OP already knew about the problems in US schools, I’m not sure why she insisted on asking the children about it.

Hetty58 Tue 21-Sep-21 18:58:03

It reminds me of hearing about the daily gas mask drills at schools in WW2 - and the air raid drills (get to the shelter, or if in doubt, dive under your desk.)

My son really did have to dive under his desk at short notice, when the huge windows blew in during a gale. There was no time to leave the room - and everyone cried, including the teacher - but nobody was hurt.

Kids, generally, seem to just take it all in their stride, though.

Chewbacca Tue 21-Sep-21 18:52:32

I don't agree with welbeck. I do, however, agree with everyone else who has posted so far, especially Galaxy.

Hithere Tue 21-Sep-21 18:45:35

I agree with welbeck.

schnackie Tue 21-Sep-21 18:35:28

I actually did ask my AC and they didn't know. I believe I asked it in a non-threatening way, as we were just talking about the first days in school and what they were doing. I agree, I was SO very lucky to get time with them in person. Hugs and cuddles sunshine

Galaxy Tue 21-Sep-21 17:54:38

It can happen anywhere but it is much more likely in the states because of their gun laws. I think that's what op is trying to say.

62Granny Tue 21-Sep-21 17:39:34

Let us not forget Dunblane in Scotland , it can happen anywhere. Hopefully it won't but it is possible.