Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Where do I draw the line..

(58 Posts)
Grandmabatty Sun 15-May-22 13:33:32

It's not your baby. If they want to visit friends then that's up to them. Were you this involved in their life before the baby? I think you should take a big step back. Don't offer advice unless they ask for it. I'm sure it's coming from a good place, but this is their child, not yours,to bring up their way.

Beanutz2115 Sun 15-May-22 13:30:45

When my kids were little my MIL was horrified I dressed the children in black sock or dark trousers. Sometimes we would take the babies out later in the evening- that was wrong too. I didn’t listen.
They have to do what is best for them.

JaydeeTas Sun 15-May-22 13:29:04

I just worry. They are new parents and haven't realised they need to think about priorities. They are literally visiting friends every day..

JaneJudge Sun 15-May-22 13:28:07

I think I'd ask them not to send me texts that might worry me, especially in the evening

JaydeeTas Sun 15-May-22 13:27:41

Ohh that was a typo..
I was meant to say it is raining with wind warnings tonight.
They usually send me a photo of a night time when he is sleeping.

JaneJudge Sun 15-May-22 13:27:27

I think she means they send her a photo in the evening, rather than of the sky itself

SueDonim Sun 15-May-22 13:25:38

What do you mean they ‘send a photo of a night’? A picture of the sunset? Leaving where? Going where? Are they driving, walking?

Assuming the baby is being kept safe, I’d leave them to it.

JaydeeTas Sun 15-May-22 13:21:32

My son and daughter in law has a 7 week old. This is their first baby. I am wondering if I am over stepping the mark with advice.. They take it well when I offer it but, somethings they just won't change.

As I'm typing this, it is raining and 13c. It is also 10:15pm.

They like to send me a photo of a night. They sent one 9:15pm tonight with wind warnings and they aren't home.. When I enquired, they said they were just leaving.

They aren't always well prepared either. Usually when they visit me, I give them a blanket or change of clothes to take him home.

How do I stress my concern without over stepping.. or am I being too involved??