Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Overnight/ sleep over beds

(41 Posts)
nana5852 Sun 11-Sep-22 10:32:07

I have heard about a bed come sleeping bag. My husband’s brood of 3 under 5’s are descending on us next month with their parents. Flying in so can’t bring any equipment with them. We live in a relatively small house and certainly don’t have beds for five individuals . Even if we did there’s nowhere to put them. I have heard of ‘sleepover’ beds that can be rolled out in these circumstances. Has anyone used such a thing? Any hints or tips would be appreciated and a pointer to sleeping equipment that has been useful would be very helpful. Many thanks.

MiniMoon Sun 11-Sep-22 10:40:45

We had some of those when my grandchildren first came back to live in the area. They were okay for the first night subsequently they developed leaks and deflated during the night. Going g on our experience, I wouldn't bother.

Callistemon21 Sun 11-Sep-22 10:49:12

AKA Swags

Commonly available in Australia and I think available in the UK too. I just had a look on Amazon but they're out of stock and not widely available elsewhere. Proper swabs are very expensive.

Air beds with sleeping bags could be an alternative.

Callistemon21 Sun 11-Sep-22 10:49:42

Autocorrect - swags not swabs!!

Razzamatazz Sun 11-Sep-22 10:55:21

I bought a self inflating 'blow' up bed a few months ago, on ebay, called 'Aveenii'. Expensive but comfortable.

Dinahmo Sun 11-Sep-22 10:55:35

I remember when staying with cousins when young that we topped and tailed. Surely 3 under fives could do the same?

Dinahmo Sun 11-Sep-22 10:56:51

Another thought - invest in a tent for the children. Obviously not for the present but for when they're a bit older.

Or put the adults in b & b.

Mandrake Sun 11-Sep-22 11:23:53

We settled for blow up beds on the floor. The other option is to have them stay off site in their own accommodation.

JackyB Sun 11-Sep-22 11:25:58

Can you borrow something? There are bound to be plenty of people who have cots in the loft. I take it the youngest will still sleep in a cot. The others may manage on makeshift mattresses.

Annaram1 Sun 11-Sep-22 11:31:36

We had an inflatable mattress for visitors. On the first occasion
the couple using it had an unfortunate experience. The large lady managed somehow to sink the mattress to the floor while her slimmer husband was peacefully sleeping on his nicely inflated side, up in the air!

JackyB Sun 11-Sep-22 11:34:41

Search for Readybeds.

Also I have seen inflatable put-ups for kids here in Germany that are like a paddling pool but the bottom is also inflatable. But then you would have to provide the bed linen and the Swags and Readybeds do include the sleeping bags. (no idea how you wash them)

If you get something inflatable, get a decent pump - you don't want to spend lots of time and energy pumping with a simple pair-of-bellows-style pump.

PollyDolly Sun 11-Sep-22 11:36:18

Go to Argos and get a couple of double airbeds and some cheap duvets - sorted.

JackyB Sun 11-Sep-22 11:36:22

Also, if you buy inflatables,, give them a good airing a few days in advance. The smell of new ones could make the little ones ill.

Elizabeth27 Sun 11-Sep-22 11:38:56

Do you mean these, lots on Amazon and probably Argos. My grandson had one when little, and he loved it.

silverlining48 Sun 11-Sep-22 11:41:36

Really depends on how often you would use them. Beds aren’t cheap and Children grow out of them very quickly.
If visits are infrequent Children can easily sleep wherever you put them. On the floor with a mat or mattress or cushions, maybe borrow a cot if you can, or top and tail. Hope all goes well.

Elusivebutterfly Sun 11-Sep-22 11:46:05

As long as you have a bed for the parents, I would just buy cheap sleeping bags for the children. Children are usually happy to sleep on the floor.

Glorianny Sun 11-Sep-22 11:56:05

When all the family were at my in-laws when our children were small babies slept in collapsable play pens, toddlers on the floor and we even slept on the floor on one occasion. (I could in those days) Camping mats and sleeping bags helped and rolled up during the day so the dining room could be used. If it's just for a one off visit search charity shops and gumtree for stuff.

Callistemon21 Sun 11-Sep-22 11:58:00

Have you got sun loungers padded garden seats ? You could use the long cushions from those with sleeping bags.

3dognight Sun 11-Sep-22 11:58:38

Google ‘Outwell Dreamcatcher Single Sleeping Mat 10cm’
At £80 each they are not cheap, but when my three came to stay weekends I used to put two of those down on the floor in the bedroom. They used to squabble over who would be sleeping in them, as nobody wanted the bed!

Now they are grown and my DH uses one when away racing, and I take mine on the train when I stop over at my dads.

Very comfortable and it says self inflating, but I always puff them up abit as well.

Norah Sun 11-Sep-22 12:13:42

Readybeds or airbeds. Be sure to buy a good pump.

nana5852 Sun 11-Sep-22 12:20:31

Thank you all for your responses. I have purchased two self inflating mattresses - we have sleeping bags. Mini moon’s feedback persuaded me against the ‘all in one’ option. We have a spare bed for the parents and a fold out bed chair for the 4 year old so the two year old twins will on the floor on the new purchases. Best wishes to all.

Callistemon21 Sun 11-Sep-22 12:26:16

They'll enjoy it - it will be like camping
Enjoy their visit.

JackyB Mon 12-Sep-22 07:45:42

I see nana5852 has now found her solution. Have a lovely time with the little ones!

Just to complete the options I mentioned, here, for future reference, is a picture of the inflatable beds I was talking about.

Camelotclub Tue 13-Sep-22 12:34:03

Callistemon21

AKA Swags

Commonly available in Australia and I think available in the UK too. I just had a look on Amazon but they're out of stock and not widely available elsewhere. Proper swabs are very expensive.

Air beds with sleeping bags could be an alternative.

When I googled 'swags' I got a load of curtain embellishments!

Grannyjacq1 Tue 13-Sep-22 12:37:28

Can recommend the Futon Company Sleep Cubes. We have 2 of them and they fold up into a cube so they can be used as extra seating. We also bought a wooden top to go on them (I think they have discontinued this) so they can be used by grandchildren as jigsaw /Lego tables too. Brilliant. www.futoncompany.co.uk/shop-by-product/sleepover.html