Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Difficult Granddaughter

(46 Posts)
GranJay Mon 28-Nov-22 13:06:26

Has anyone else found that their relationship with their GC has been affected by lockdown? I was so looking forward to having a GD after 3 GS but due to lockdown I have missed out on so much of her early life. I have tried to build a good relationship with her, making her things, taking her out, buying her treats when I can but she really does not seem to want to spend time with me and can be very difficult. She seems to manipulate her parents but this could just be because we have very different ideas on discipline, I am more for setting boundaries whereas the trend now seems to be let the child decide. I try not to interfere in how her parents bring her up but I worry that it sometimes seems the 3yo is in charge and not her parents. I had hoped for a good relationship with my GD as I have had with my other GC but now it appears that her 6yo brother is picking up on the situation and starting to ignore me too.

Nanadude Wed 30-Nov-22 11:49:14

I just started teaching my 8 yr old granddaughter to sew. We spent a lovely afternoon together making simple sewn Christmas tree decorations .
She is normally a very headstrong young lady and always moving so I was happy to see her fiercely concentrating on her project. She was so pleased with herself. After 3 ornaments for our tree she said she needed to make a star for her other grandma, which she did.
Next stop - knitting!

Coco51 Wed 30-Nov-22 11:50:10

If she is only three with parents who are fairly relaxed about discipline and you are a strict disciplinarian it’s not really surprising that she does not want to spend time with you. I don’t think the activities you choose with your DGD can be fully appreciated by one so young. Best to be relaxed and be guided by the games SHE wants to play because those are the games she understands. Obviously you need to curb really bad behaviour, but do it gently. Distraction and fun things help - put a little tissue on your face and puff it off - children really appreciate adults doing silly (but safe) things. My DGS (20) always said he liked me being daft because I didn’t seem old. I’m still nutty with youngest nine and twin six year old DGCs and they appreciate a good laugh at my expense.

Sara1954 Wed 30-Nov-22 11:56:38

Eazybee
Most three year olds are usually at nursery at least some of the time, so are quite aware they aren’t the centre of the universe.
But I don’t think it matters to spoil them at home, they’re only little for such a short time, and I just love my granddaughter’s attitude.

eagleswings Wed 30-Nov-22 11:59:46

Agree with eazybee. Children are crying out for boundaries and are unhappy without them. If they are placed in the very centre of everything, there is a chance they will grow up somewhere on the spectrum of narcissism. My dear grandson has been given few boundaries and has been expected to make decisions from an early age. Children are not equipped to do so and feel burdened by it. He now finds himself unhappily
at school, the teachers complaining about his lack of social skills and he has no friends. This is tragic and I wished I had stepped in earlier.

flowerofthewestx2 Wed 30-Nov-22 12:01:49

Oh dear. I couldn't get offended by a three year old lack of interest in me. I take none of it personally. I visited my daughter for a couple of days. She popped up to my 9 Yr old GD to tell her that grandma was here. GD promptly said how long is she here for? Til Monday said DD.
Does she have to stay THAT long?
I will forgive as she is autistic as is her brother.
Say it as it is.

lizzypopbottle Wed 30-Nov-22 12:04:43

Threenager! Take a step back but maybe sit by yourself, apparently ignoring her, and read some of her books, That's Not My..... is a very appealing set to three year olds or lift the flap books. Sit on the floor (if you can) and get some duplo out and just build. Don't invite her to join in. She will wonder why you don't and, if you are doing something like that, chances are she will be curious enough to join you.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 30-Nov-22 12:14:14

As Laurie Graham once wrote ‘ Three years olds should be deep frozen and only defrosted when they reach nineteen’ 😄

nipsmum Wed 30-Nov-22 12:35:55

Maybe you are trying too hard. She is different from your grandsons. I have 3 granddaughters and i have a different relationship with each of them. Children don't always fit into the box you want or expect. Give her tome and don't push too hard is my advice.

Norah Wed 30-Nov-22 14:12:36

Have you tried making cookies with her?

Our little GC love to cut, bake, ice cookies. I know, silly.

However, some small children do enjoy baking, I think.

JaneR185 Wed 30-Nov-22 15:09:00

My advice is to not try too hard and treat them all fairly. Your dgs might be feeling hurt if he's used to your full attention.

Frogs Wed 30-Nov-22 15:31:11

eagleswings

Agree with eazybee. Children are crying out for boundaries and are unhappy without them. If they are placed in the very centre of everything, there is a chance they will grow up somewhere on the spectrum of narcissism. My dear grandson has been given few boundaries and has been expected to make decisions from an early age. Children are not equipped to do so and feel burdened by it. He now finds himself unhappily
at school, the teachers complaining about his lack of social skills and he has no friends. This is tragic and I wished I had stepped in earlier.

Oh dear eagleswings that’s really sad for him - are you sure something else isn’t going on here.
Some children manage to easily pick up on social skills and the art of making friends despite firm boundaries never having been set whereas other children (and adults for that matter) will always struggle.

GrauntyHelen Wed 30-Nov-22 16:33:48

If anyone is difficult in this relationship it's Granny not Grandaughter She is 3 for goodness sake

happycatholicwife1 Wed 30-Nov-22 18:48:48

Whew! My grandkids had their difficult times, but the one that was the most difficult had a mother that was attached at the hip who gave into the child's every whim. I understand how the OP feels. What surprises me is how condescending and disapproving the rest of the posters seem to be. Yes, the child is only three. However, I take great issue with the statement that things change, and most of the time it's for the better. I believe in a kind of benign neglectfulness, shored up by certain rules that do need to be followed. In other words, try to relax, have a good time, play how the child wants to play, but expect reasonably good behavior. I must say , I spent a lot of time around my grandchildren, and I didn't have most of these kinds of problems. I don't think lax parenting is ever great, and the pandemic may be part of the problem. Good luck, OP.

henetha Wed 30-Nov-22 19:40:51

When I read 'difficult granddaughter ' I assumed she was a teenager.
I have 3 granddaughters and the sort of relationship you want will most probably develop in time. She's too young at 3.

f77ms Wed 30-Nov-22 19:51:07

MerylStreep

You don’t exactly sound like fun nanny
Maybe swap a bit of that discipline for enjoyment.

My thoughts exactly .!

CW52 Thu 01-Dec-22 01:32:56

I expected to read that the ‘difficult’ child was at least a teenager….she’s 3 😳 They’re all difficult at 3 🤔🤪🤣🤣🤣

Sara1954 Thu 01-Dec-22 08:17:01

I have had a lot of contact with my grandchildren, three of them living with us, and I think I have a good and loving relationship with all of them.
I do tell them off when necessary, and believe me, it’s been necessary quite often.
But I see my role as supporting my daughter, I tell them off, but don’t hand out punishments, that’s for her to decide.
You can’t force a relationship, you can’t make her want to enjoy outings, or bake biscuits.
Just relax and let your relationship evolve naturally.

Millie22 Thu 01-Dec-22 08:28:37

#windup

What a nonsense post.

MarySa Wed 28-Dec-22 12:08:14

I have found this helpful because I too have a three year old granddaughter and perhaps am expecting too much. She is a fussy eater and sleeper . The trouble is its a long time since I had my own kids. I will read carefully and try to adjust my expectations. Thank you

Zoejory Wed 28-Dec-22 12:15:44

At 3 they are glorious little beings. Let them be happy.