Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

How do you bring a smile to a grandchilds face.

(27 Posts)
1987H2001M2002Inanny Tue 17-Jan-23 20:25:06

When we got our 5yr old GS home from school, I decided to tell him a rhyme that I thought he hadn't heard before.So I started...There was an old woman who swallowed a fly,I don't know why she swallowed a fly and so on.His little face was a picture until the end,majic !!

ixion Tue 17-Jan-23 20:30:22

Show them pictures of Daddy when he was a little boy!

They particularly like the one of him at about 2 in a heatwave by the paddling pool, clad in nothing but a pair of beloved red wellies🤷‍♀️

Oreo Tue 17-Jan-23 20:31:24

That one always goes down well with kids, mine always liked The House That Jack Built, but you need a good memory😂
Another good one is The Twelve Days Of Christmas.

tanith Tue 17-Jan-23 20:33:39

Tell her that most of her family and cousins will be at her 18th birthday dinner on Saturday they don't all get together often anymore.🎂🥂🎁🎉🎊

Oreo Tue 17-Jan-23 20:33:50

Actually, any corny joke goes down well with them,I save the ones from crackers for them.
A bit of chocolate usually brings a smile as well.😄

V3ra Tue 17-Jan-23 20:41:17

Oreo last year I took my granddaughter an Easter egg that I found well after the event, I think I must have bought too many for my minded children and there was one left over. (Still in date though).

She was so excited she couldn't speak!! 😃

crazyH Tue 17-Jan-23 20:44:40

tanith - that’s true. My oldest grandson will be 21 next month and I’m trying to get all 16 of us together!!!!🎂🎉🎈

SueDonim Tue 17-Jan-23 20:58:10

Ask them if they want to have tea at GM and GF’s house tomorrow. My GD was ecstatic when I asked her this question earlier today! ❤️

Norah Tue 17-Jan-23 20:58:26

To make grandchildren giggle - we turn on video of 1960s dancing/ rock and roll, we all rock out, sing and dance around.

Oreo Tue 17-Jan-23 21:03:38

V3ra awww🥰
Isn’t it lovely that little things please young ones so much?
I remember being over the moon if mum brought me a comic home and some sweets.

Sago Tue 17-Jan-23 21:32:39

Spike Milligans. Ning Nang Nong always does it for mine.

Nanatoone Tue 17-Jan-23 21:37:55

Mine love Guinea Pig olympics on you tube or silly dancing. They like rude noises too! They are still small though.

lixy Tue 17-Jan-23 21:47:48

Any of Nick Cope's CD's if we're in the car, especially The Baby's Done a Pooh for my GD. (and The Pirate's Breakfast for me.)

Witzend Tue 17-Jan-23 21:55:49

Gdcs are coming at the weekend. I had 6 leftover chocolate Christmas tree decorations, so I’ve hung them in a huge houseplant - more of a mini tree really - that still has lights on.

It won’t take them long to find them, upon which I’ll say - with my best ‘oh dear’ face, that I don’t think it’s allowed to eat them now - they’ll have to wait until next Christmas.

That should raise a big smile - they’ll soon realise that Granny is pulling their legs - just for a change.
They’ll have to eat their dinners first though!

Cressy Tue 17-Jan-23 21:59:54

Ask Alexa to play the Laughing Policeman

GagaJo Tue 17-Jan-23 22:04:20

Play Lego with him. Or rather, let him tell me what to make out of Lego, so he can tell me how I've done it all wrong.

Wyllow3 Tue 17-Jan-23 22:06:04

Erm...anything bum related, within reason. Tummy raspberries.

pandapatch Tue 17-Jan-23 22:25:09

Chocolate - and my cats

DaisyAlice Tue 17-Jan-23 22:49:00

Blowing up a balloon and letting it go without tying it up. Letting him have three biscuits when Mummy is not here. She only let's him have two smile Also, anything to do with bottoms. He's four.

vegansrock Wed 18-Jan-23 05:36:12

Playing the Beatles Hello Goodbye in the car and all singing along.

Redhead56 Wed 18-Jan-23 10:01:12

I have boxes of toys books etc that I change every week when they come to ours there is always something new to play with.
They love new toys or games and the toys that are too familiar go to charity.

When we go to their house I help them with their school readers. They laugh out loud when I am telling them a story and I change my voice like a character in the book.

1987H2001M2002Inanny Wed 18-Jan-23 12:21:24

Yes,hubbie noticed GS makes up the rules on every game to suit himself.Devious little wotsit!

1987H2001M2002Inanny Wed 18-Jan-23 12:26:38

Love all your ideas,thanks for replying. I'm in two minds about Alexa.H loves telling her to play Crazy Frog song which we join in with but last week he told her to fart and she went on to suggest every different sound a bottom can make.Of course he thought it was hysterical.

Llamedos13 Wed 18-Jan-23 12:29:10

Playing this game has them rolling on the floor laughing. Even better, it was $3 in the charity shop🤣

Grandma2213 Thu 19-Jan-23 02:53:47

My youngest GD told me the other day that Daddy's house was 'a mess'. When I pointed out that mine was much worse, she said, 'No your house is 'creative'! She loves making things out of the cardboard, paper, plastic containers etc that I save and I always have glue, sellotape, scissors and paint. Unfortunately I also find it hard to throw her 'creations' away! The other grandchildren also tend to leave things here because they know they will not get binned!