Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Looking after grandchildren whilst sick

(53 Posts)
Bungle Mon 13-Mar-23 18:13:00

Hi there I just wondered what other grandparents do.
I have my 2 grandchildren twice a week to help my daughter who can't afford childcare.
I have them when they have colds and coughs and I always seem to get the germs and are unwell.
Do other grandparents have their grandchildren whilst they are unwell.

Hetty58 Mon 13-Mar-23 18:20:14

Bungle, no, my children wouldn't dream of bringing them if they're unwell/contagious - even though I'm rarely ill.

They do have an awful lot of colds when they're small, though, so perhaps your daughter could arrange something else? Perhaps another parent could have them - or she might have flexibility of work days? Is your immunity low due to stress?

Blondiescot Mon 13-Mar-23 18:24:40

Oh yes, if our GS is unwell and unable to go to school, he's left with us - meaning I invariably catch whatever it is he's had too. But there's no alternative...

grannyactivist Mon 13-Mar-23 18:28:17

Not usually. If children are sick enough not to go to school then their parents will try to stay home. Occasionally my husband will go and care for them if a parent really can’t take take off, but my children won’t let them come to me and risk me catching anything.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 13-Mar-23 18:30:55

I have always had the GC if they are unable to go to school if their parents need to go to work.

rosie1959 Mon 13-Mar-23 18:33:44

Yes I look after them if they are poorly and can’t go to school I have never caught anything from them but I am fit and healthy and if I did pick something up from them it probably wouldn’t cause me any problems

LOUISA1523 Mon 13-Mar-23 18:34:23

Between the 3 of my GDs there's always one not well at any given time in winter....it doesn't bother me

Greenfinch Mon 13-Mar-23 18:39:38

Yes I would always have them and don’t remember catching anything major. Public transport and shops is where I catch things I think.

Bungle Mon 13-Mar-23 19:12:53

Thanks for your answers.
I don't think it's stress, I just seem to catch whatever they have.
They are both under school age at the mo, so it is a problem for my daughter if I don't have them

cornergran Mon 13-Mar-23 19:18:44

We used to have school age children with cold type symptoms. Never with d&v. They’re teenagers now and care isn’t needed.

I

SueDonim Mon 13-Mar-23 19:21:44

My dd wouldn’t ask us to look after her children if they’re proper poorly but we don’t mind if it’s just colds and sniffles. I caught a horrible stomach bug from one of them last year and whilst they were ill for a day, I was ill for a week and then couldn’t look after them anyway!

A friend catches numerous bugs from her GC, which because she is asthmatic and has a heart problem, inevitably turns into a chest infection for which she needs antibiotics. She lives on her own and it’s miserable to be so poorly with no one to care for you. Personally, I think her family is selfish in asking her to do this, they should have more regard for her health.

Franbern Tue 14-Mar-23 09:10:28

Young children have to slowly build up their immune shystem. Takes several years, and during that time they alwas seem to be getting some cold, cough, etc. One of the reasons why new teachers in nursery/primary school are ill so often.

As we get older, our immune systems have actually got anti-bodies against many of these (hundreds) of illnesses. So, unless a g.parent does have a weakened immune system either to their own health conditions or medication, it is usually fine for them to care for unwell g.children and unlikely to catch anything from them.

Whilst I would agree tht if a young child is really ill, then nice if a parent can stay at home with them, but this (in most cases) is totally impossible for all those many slightly unwell episodes. Parent(s) would rarely get in a full weeks work!!!!

lixy Tue 14-Mar-23 09:15:47

We look after GC when they are poorly, either our house or theirs. They generally enjoy a bit of extra cossetting. Sometimes we pick up a bug but on the whole we manage to avoid it.
However youngest GC has just started nursery and is sharing a whole raft of new germs amongst us all. Our immune systems are busy catching up!

1rose Tue 14-Mar-23 15:29:31

Have never had so many bugs since I started having grandson regularly esp since he started nursery
Hoping it eventually lessens as his immune system builds as does mine

GagaJo Tue 14-Mar-23 16:06:23

I'm the full-time childcare, so yes, I have DGS rain or shine. All part of the granny care job.

Fortunately, I've somehow managed to avoid the last couple of bugs he's had.

AGAA4 Tue 14-Mar-23 16:19:04

When I used to look after my two GCs I would still be there when they were ill. I looked after them at their house as I lived too far away.
Luckily they didn't go down with things very often and I didn't catch anything from them when they were ill.

Tink75 Tue 14-Mar-23 16:19:40

Yes Bungle we catch everything from them. One of the joys of being GM and GD.

Humbertbear Tue 14-Mar-23 16:22:05

I did start off looking after sick children but then I caught a very bad flu. It turned out half the Primary School was off with the bug so after that I drew the line on illness.

ElaineI Tue 14-Mar-23 18:54:51

We have them ill or not. Occasionally catch something. Since school/nursery went back in August it's been a nightmare for kids - scarlet fever twice, colds, tonsillitis, flu in the 9 year old despite the vaccine lasting 3 weeks (passed to DSil not us), chest infections etc. Now DD1 has 12 children off in her class with chickenpox! Apparently it is due to the Covid lockdowns and restrictions as children have not been exchanging viruses therefore their immune systems have not built up immunity to childhood illnesses which are usually mild.

overthehill Tue 14-Mar-23 19:09:49

Never looked after them sick. Mind you aren't employers more accommodating these days giving leave for childcare?

Blondiescot Tue 14-Mar-23 19:14:42

overthehill

Never looked after them sick. Mind you aren't employers more accommodating these days giving leave for childcare?

I think that depends on the employer, and also on the nature of your job.

Jay21 Wed 15-Mar-23 13:25:17

I'm 71 and have looked after my 4 grandchildren a couple of days a week for the past 16 years. Them being ill didn't bother me then and I continued as normal but from a year ago I opt out if they have bad colds and coughs as I always catch it and the cough persists for weeks. Parents fully understand x

GagaJo Wed 15-Mar-23 13:30:22

Blondiescot

overthehill

I think that depends on the employer, and also on the nature of your job.

Ironically, schools are never understanding about teachers being off with their children when they're sick.

NemoNanna Wed 15-Mar-23 13:35:26

Just getting over a dose of Norovirus thanks to looking after DGS last week who had apparently had it but we were assured he was “over it”!

jerseygirl Wed 15-Mar-23 13:35:37

yes!! we have looked after our 6 year old grandson since he was born. We have dealt with coughs and colds, infections, chicken pox etc etc. I don't mind looking after him and my daughter can go to work with an easy mind. But yes we have both suffered from coughs and colds that we have caught from him but its par for the course i think.