Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

grandparenting classes

(62 Posts)
angie73 Sat 27-May-17 10:49:26

I have read a lot about the growth of grandmothering classes recently and wonder if anyone knows of any in London or close by.

kittylester Sat 27-May-17 11:33:39

If one is a grand parent, one has presumably had children so why would you need them. confused #cashing in!

NanaandGrampy Sat 27-May-17 11:35:25

I've never heard of them . What would they teach you?

downtoearth Sat 27-May-17 11:37:11

To suck eggs of course N&Ggrin

NanaandGrampy Sat 27-May-17 11:38:19

[laugh] good point Downtoearth

kittylester Sat 27-May-17 11:38:24

Trying not to get personal, I've proper mangled my post! grin

NanaandGrampy Sat 27-May-17 11:40:29

and obviously how to use http for emoticons downtoearth !!

tanith Sat 27-May-17 11:42:49

What will they come up with next??

Riverwalk Sat 27-May-17 11:46:15

Angie73 as a journalist I'm sure you can find out for yourself!

glammanana Sat 27-May-17 11:50:01

If I can't grandparent now after 26yrs I don't think I shall ever get to grips with it,just another money making exercise if you ask me.

downtoearth Sat 27-May-17 11:55:55

N&G grin

MawBroon Sat 27-May-17 12:37:10

They would teach you to suck eggs of course N&G grin
Oops I see Downtoearth got in first. Great minds think alike? ?‍???‍??‍??‍??‍??‍???‍???

Starlady Sat 27-May-17 12:38:55

Iv never been, but Iv heard of them. From what Iv heard, they introduce gps to the latest babycare practices and ideas, so we'll understand if our ac and cil are doing some things differently than we did and won't clash over it. Also, Iv heard they give gps advice like "follow the parents' lead" with the child and "respect the parents' wishes for their child," etc. Obvious ideas to some, but not others, I suppose.

But sorry, Angie, I can't be of help. Perhaps someone at the local hospital would know? Or you could google it?

Starlady Sat 27-May-17 12:44:59

In fact, Angie, it says here that many hospitals have these classes (old article though):

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2089554/Grandparents-classes-bring-speed-modern-baby-rules.html

grannylyn65 Sat 27-May-17 13:25:38

I never give advice unless asked, which is rarely !!

Nannarose Sat 27-May-17 14:47:43

For many years, where I used to work, the midwives offered a single'granny'class as part of the usual (free) ante-natal classes. They described modern midwifery practice, what care could be expected, a few updates, and a chance to chat and ask questions.
They were much appreciated (of course, only those who liked the idea attended!) and a lot of grans would say how much they enjoyed them.
They are not running as such now, but I know that the mums are asked to invite whoever they want to attend, including grans-to-be.

To answer OP: I suggest you look at the National Childbirth Trust (nct.org) as some of their teachers do a 'granny' class. And I think it a good idea - as with anything, some will feel they don't need or want it, but I can see benefits.

MissAdventure Sat 27-May-17 20:21:31

I suppose if grandparents are doing a lot of the childcare, then why not attend classes?

Jalima1108 Sat 27-May-17 20:50:23

Like parenting, you learn on the job grin

MissAdventure Sat 27-May-17 20:55:33

The hard way? grin just seems that things change so much. Lots of things babies can't have to eat now, that used to be fine. Solids; the rules seem to change all the time!

Jalima1108 Sat 27-May-17 21:02:18

They changed with my DC too - just go by what the parents want you to do!

Jalima1108 Sat 27-May-17 21:02:58

what about grandfathering too?

Norah Sat 27-May-17 21:41:03

I think my daughters can tell anything they want me to know. Babies are babies, not been much to change.

grumppa Sat 27-May-17 21:49:48

Surely grandparenting includes grandfathering?

Having said that, grandfathering seems to involve special skills in fitting and removing different child seats for different size DCS in the back of he car, not to mention calming them with specially chosen songs, especially French ones, from a rugby-playing past.

I don't think I need a course.

Nannarose Sun 28-May-17 10:47:08

At a very personal level, I do think there is, during pregnancy, labour and the immediate post-partum period, a particular role for women. There is, in my experience, a bond around women who have given birth in which their own experiences are remembered, and examined at a profound level. Just as some women find the support& friendship of ante-natal classes deeply helpful, others do not wish to be part of it. My own feeling is that you should do what works for you, and your family.

Of course, most of the grandparent role, especially after the first few weeks, is not really gender related, although I do agree about the mysteries of car seats!

annodomini Sun 28-May-17 11:30:51

If grandparenting classes are catching on, I suggest that most of us would be qualified to run them or at least act as consultants. grin