Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

soops kindly kitcheners and perfect pampered pets.

(1001 Posts)
soop Sat 14-Jan-17 17:45:15

This kitchen will be ready for those who care to share...smile

cornergran Mon 13-Feb-17 18:56:03

Well, the car is here, loaded and we both survived! It was actually scarily easy, I'm wondering who has stolen my husband. smile.

The 'stuff' was weeded out yesterday evening, reasonably voluntarily grin, the remaining bags were carried out to the car and when it became clear it wouldn't all fit in prioritising happened. The remainder is in a shed, I dont know which one which is absolutely fine. If I'm honest I didn't always agree with the items prioritised but I was in too much shock to argue. All we need to do now is to work out how the on board computer works. Suspect that will take longer smile. When did cars get so complicated?

Please be sensible mawbroon, that lump needs looking at. Goodness kitty, fun and games that's for sure. I struggle with dealing with such explosions, in fact Mr C was always in charge of such things and still is if needed.

I'm thankful your builders are doing a good job, charley or I suspect damage would be done over inappropriate items in your bins. Don't they have bins of their own and so understand the system? greyduster I completely agree with you, no problem with soop re-naming the kitchen, it will still be a comfortable place for us all.

Hoping all went well for lona. Keep warm and well everyone.

Charleygirl Mon 13-Feb-17 18:48:55

Greyduster if it keeps the children amused and happy, excellent.

Kitty I never had any children once I discovered I had to keep them for longer than 5 days. The novelty would have worn off by then. It is going the same way with the builders although they are really kind and helpful to me. I learn interesting facts each day- today's gem was did I know that I have to have my gas boiler checked each year? Good heavens, here was me thinking that it would run for at least 10 years without anybody going near it. He had the grace to look ashamed!

Greyduster Mon 13-Feb-17 18:09:17

Golly, soop, Torben is a lucky boy to have you as his gran. Evan is a collector too, and I am sure he would be green with envy.
As for Minecraft, it is "a game where you dig (mine) and build (craft) different kinds of 3D blocks within a large world of varying terrains and habitats to explore". I can't tell you much more than that except that it seems to be very absorbing to youngsters. We (not me!) appear to be building a very large village at the moment, and then we have to protect the inhabitants and livestock against all manner of foes. Personally, I can't make head nor tail of it and it moves along far too quickly for me to keep up with it. I'm happy with that!

soop Mon 13-Feb-17 16:22:26

Greyduster What is Minecraft? Heard it mentioned before but not a clue as to it's function. Torben is well into Pokémon cards. I found some rare Japanese cards on eBay. The seller and I did a deal.wink

soop Mon 13-Feb-17 16:18:13

No! Maw Get you and your lump to the GP. We won't listen to any feeble excuses. So there hmm

Greyduster Mon 13-Feb-17 16:16:23

Hello all! Just back at DD's after picking GS up from school. He has a friend in to play, so they are engrossed in Minecraft. We called in at the leisure centre on the way over so that DH could watch a bit of this walking football. There didn't seem to be a lot of walking going on hmm (I suppose it must be difficult not to break into a run) but he thinks he might join the other 'old guys' next week! I have to say he looked a lot fitter than most of them!
Kitty is there some sort of vomiting bug sweeping the Midlands? DH was reading about it? Hope that's not what your GC have.
soop I don't mind what you call the new kitchen if it is as warm and welcoming as this one.
Fingers still crossed for Lona.

MawBroon Mon 13-Feb-17 15:47:19

Might have to think of poorly peoples as my thumbs and wrists are giving me so much trouble at the moment I can't manage the button and zip on my jeans, so I am having to wear "pull up" elastcated cord joggers (Lands End, v comfortable) for the foreseeable future and although the phlebitis on the front of my ankle has gone down I have a new "lump" on the back of my calf, same leg, and it is very painful.
Knackers yard?

soop Mon 13-Feb-17 15:24:37

kitty You've made me laugh out loud. Do hope that your poorly granddaughter is recovering. It sounds as if you're mighty busy.

I believe that Lona's appointment may be running a little late. I shall continue to pop in until she's home safe and sound.

soop's cosy kitchen for kind peoples and precious pets

When we next open an extension, would you lot approve of the new title? If not, please advise. By the way, Torben uses the word...peoples. I like it.

kittylester Mon 13-Feb-17 13:55:58

Leave a trail for me to follow if you move before I get back - preferably wine

kittylester Mon 13-Feb-17 13:54:39

I'm just sneaking in while the DGC are otherwise occupied. It's flipping amazing how much time they take up when they are here. DGD2 was really, really sick last night. She was in her Mum's bed (a regular ploy to keep the girls apart until they are asleep!) so we are still wading through washing, taking quilts and pillows to the laundrette, trying to air the room, get stains out of the carpet etc etc. Ellie, meanwhile is absolutely fine. Definitely a case of better out than in!!

I was really hoping to wish Lona good luck but didn't manage to get here in time. I hope she lets us know soon how things went.

Rubbish dumpers are a real pet hate of mine soop. A bloke in a terribly expensive convertible was waiting at some traffic lights in town when he jettisoned an empty cigarette packet. I picked it up and threw it back in his car just as it drew away from the lights. I acted on an angry impulse and frightened myself silly! grin

Having the builders in Charley is very like having babies. Eventually, one forgets the trauma eventually and does it again. grin

Fellow feeling re 'stuff', corner. The reassignment of the sterilising room to study would, you'd imagine, be the perfect opportunity for DH to go through his 'stuff' but it looks to me as though it is all going to squeezed in somehow regardless! angry

Anyway, can't stay - taking 2 very lively DGD to a craft session at the library - I might be back later!!

soop Mon 13-Feb-17 12:28:37

As for folk dumping rubbish willy nilly...we've a layby close by, which we regularly clear of detritus. A pet hate of mine. Totally unreasonable and bad mannered for someone not to take their own rubbish away with them and dispose of it in their own bin.

soop Mon 13-Feb-17 12:22:54

A sunny but chilly good early afternoon dear Granspals.

TriciaF I could have wept when Greg limped off the pitch. He's my absolute favourite rugby player. I think, had he remained on side, he would have tipped the balance in favour of a Scottish victory.

corner for your own good...maintain a low profile. Men do have an unreasonable attachment to useful clutter. I love MacSporran to bits...however, a brief look inside the shed that I'd cleaned and cleared at the beginning of winter, is enough to give me a fit of the vapours. What's more, he knows it. wink

dusty Always a pleasure to have your company. The shoulder sounds irksome. I know that pain well. Although one injection of cortisone worked miracles.

I'm wondering whether Lona is at the hospital right now. When she returns, she'll be in touch with us lot...flowers

Charleygirl Mon 13-Feb-17 10:48:51

I had worse Maw, pieces of chicken and chips dumped in my paper and bottle bin. That was a delight to remove because like you I could not reach it but the boss helped me. He dumped an ancient toolbox in the same bin on Friday but luckily was around to remove it as it was at the bottom of a nearly empty bin.

I stupidly said that they could put odd items in my general waste bin not realising they were attempting to tip a load of heavy rubble in it and the poor petals who empty it would have left it because it would be too heavy for them.

The sun is out here and I have the heating off, a minor miracle.

MawBroon Mon 13-Feb-17 10:20:11

Some years back a new TV necessitated a new aerial. After the men had gone, I found the old one dumped in my green waste bin.
How childish to think they could get away with it and lazy as an aerial isn't a big item and presumably they could have taken it to the tip.
As a last resort if they had TOLD me I would have taken it (but considering what they charged, maybe not)
Fortunately I didn't have to "guddle " around in too much disgusting stuff to extract it - but it was a long way down ??

Charleygirl Mon 13-Feb-17 07:51:58

My best wishes also Lona.

Re the cleaning, all I did was to hoover the hall at the front door- needless to say I did this after 10pm so decided that maybe I should have a shower and go to bed. Three weeks + from today the house I hope will be sparkling. Tara and I are ready for the builders returning again today. I do wish that they would learn about recycling because I have to check my bins daily as we are liable to £1000 fine. My council is really broke!!!

Lona Sun 12-Feb-17 23:33:55

Thank you all so much, your support means a lot.

callgirl1 Sun 12-Feb-17 23:28:59

Best wishes for tomorrow Lona.

Swanny Sun 12-Feb-17 22:21:14

dustyangel tendonitis can be so debilitating can't it? I'm not sure which is worse, the pain in my right shoulder/arm or that from the exercises the physio gives me grin Hope all your stresses resolve themselves soon.

flowers and ((hugs)) for all kitcheners who could do with them on this cold February night smile

annodomini Sun 12-Feb-17 22:16:34

All the best for tomorrow Lona. Hoping for a favourable outcome and sunshine

Greyduster Sun 12-Feb-17 20:12:03

May I add my good wishes also, Lona. I shall think of you.

MawBroon Sun 12-Feb-17 20:05:26

Good luck tomorrow lona, you have taken the first step, fingers crossed the next steps are fruitful flowers

dustyangel Sun 12-Feb-17 19:34:37

Well I've finally caught up with you all again. Everytime I was nearly there, there was another flurry of posts. This is a very chatty kitchen grin but then all the best kitchens are. wink
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to be a bit bemused by the new title and glad to find that nothing else has changed except some new faces to say welcome to. smile

Best wishes to all who've had had problems and health issues, I'd like to mention you all by name but as I'd hate to leave anyone out, I'll only mention Georgie and Grace and send flowers for Lona, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Hi N&G thank you for the welcome back. I haven't been far away, just feeling a bit under the weather with tendonitis in my shoulder and arm. And also a bit stressed with builders etc. I know soop you did warn me wink grin

cornergran Sun 12-Feb-17 18:26:21

Mr C has an unreasonable level of attachment to the 'stuff' , so I fear I am destined for the garden and it's a bit chilly for that. sad . grin.

TriciaF Sun 12-Feb-17 17:14:56

Oh no! We support Scotland too.
And Laidlaw has an ankle injury sad. He was so brilliant against Ireland.

soop Sun 12-Feb-17 17:13:12

corner Who will be under the sod? Husband? You? shock

Lona We'll be thinking of you tomorrow. sunshine

It is friggin' freezin'...outside. Toasty cosy within. Wishing you all a good evening. All being well, I shall be sharing your company tomorrow. smile moon

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion