Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

What's the best thing about being a mother? Signed book giveaway! **NOW CLOSED**

(60 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 20-Mar-17 08:42:10

If you're a long-distance gran or for any other reason don't have plans to see your children this weekend for Mother's Day, why not bake this delicious ginger cake by nutritionist Jane Clarke and invite another mother round for a cuppa.

Tell us what the best thing is about being a mother and be in with a chance of winning a signed copy of Jane's book Nourish.

You can find out more about Jane on her website.

Competition closes Friday 24 March.

NfkDumpling Sun 26-Mar-17 07:50:02

I agree granarchist. I give thanks every day for the wonderful children I've been blessed with, and I do have friends who're child free - by choice. They get fed up with all the hype so goodness knows what it's like for those who've loved and lost, or never been able to love at all.

leanfun Sun 26-Mar-17 07:40:16

The best thing about being a mum is seeing they are independent but know where to come if they are in any kind of need.

sweir1 Fri 24-Mar-17 13:52:32

The best thing about being a mother is hearing something new each day

Granarchist Fri 24-Mar-17 12:18:46

without wishing to rain on anyone's parade, I am getting increasingly annoyed by being bombarded with Mother's Day emails, ads, etc. My mother is DEAD - I miss her dreadfully - and for all those who cannot and never will be mothers, for them it is even worse - a constant reminder that they are second class citizens. Our pub is offering a 'free glass of prosseco for Mums' - oh great - infertility denies women in the village a free drink - I know I am being over sensitive but just spare a thought for some who would love nothing better than to celebrate Mothering Sunday but who, from force of circumstance, cannot.

TheMaggiejane1 Fri 24-Mar-17 10:30:20

The best thing about being a mum is looking at your grown up children now and realising that despite never being quite sure that you were doing the 'right' thing when they were little, you appear to have produced 3 amazing, well adjusted adults who are fantastic parents themselves.

mumofmadboys Fri 24-Mar-17 10:10:27

I love being a mum and watching our brood grow into adults with different personalities and skills. Love being involved in their lives through life's ups and downs.

LoobyLee Thu 23-Mar-17 20:27:58

I'm not a mum, but I love being an auntie and now a great auntie. It's such a joy to see them grow and develope with their amazing unique personalities and their wonderful, untarnished view of the world. Makes the world seem a better place

zeenie Thu 23-Mar-17 20:09:46

i love hearing their laughter

heatherjw Thu 23-Mar-17 18:52:56

The best thing about being a mother is the live and pride you have when you see your children achieving their dreams, and exceeding mine

maisietoo Thu 23-Mar-17 18:23:28

The best thing about being a mother is the happiness I feel when they are playing happily.

Isis1981uk Thu 23-Mar-17 18:21:55

Seeing my kids learning new things & developing their own, strong personalities!

caroleann Thu 23-Mar-17 16:35:11

getting loads of presents on my birthday, mothers day & christmas x

sheridarby Thu 23-Mar-17 14:33:33

The best thing about being a mum is everything - From childhood thrills to seeing them become independent grown up people

jazbaz1986 Thu 23-Mar-17 14:15:04

I love being a mother, its the most rewarding job in the world.
I love seeing my children grow up and getting to spend quality time as a family. I like to make memories with them, that can last a lifetime.
I have 4 children and each child fills my heart with joy.

sjwfrance Thu 23-Mar-17 13:56:54

Best thing about being a Mum,
Like I could ever say,
There's good bits,
(and some bad ones),
But it's me every which way,
Never a dull moment,
There's challenges aplenty,
My days are super busy,
Oh to find a minute empty,
They grow up oh so very quick,
Days, weeks, months, years pass by,
I aim to be the bestest Mum,
In everything I try,
I know that I'm not perfect,
I get it wrong sometimes,
But I live - I love and laugh A LOT,
With these offspring that are mine!

minilynn3 Thu 23-Mar-17 11:25:17

Always having a purpose in life, something to get up for and to motivate you to work, and to do your best!

sallyc06 Thu 23-Mar-17 11:20:06

I was an only child and had no aspirations career wise, all I wanted was a family, so now I have 4 children and 8 grandchildren so my wishes really did come true. I have 2 boys and 2 girls, all grown up now and in a funny kind of a way, they are now my children and my brothers and sisters, my best friends. Best thing about being a mum, we share all the ups and downs, I am not alone anymore. I am going to attach a photo of me with Violet on the day she was born and she is 2 now.

angiehoggett Thu 23-Mar-17 10:42:44

The best thing is every time they make me laugh I smile to myself about how proud I am to be their Mam

marpau Thu 23-Mar-17 10:39:00

Seeing my son's become fine young men and caring fathers

Liz46 Thu 23-Mar-17 06:14:46

I recently emailed both my daughters to say 'don't bother to do anything for mother's day'. I told them that they have turned into lovely ladies and I am very proud of them and that is all I need.
My birthday is a couple of weeks after mother's day and they are both taking me out for a meal together with my grandchildren and I am really looking forward to that. My eldest daughter is travelling a long way for the occasion but is staying for a few days to visit the rest of the family.

DimensionAEB Thu 23-Mar-17 01:27:14

The best thing about being a mother is seeing your child smile for the very first time.

Tallulah57 Wed 22-Mar-17 21:14:43

When your child tells you "I love you Mom".

wallers5 Wed 22-Mar-17 16:02:09

The best thing about being a mother is that they are there for you in your old age.

SheenaBatey Wed 22-Mar-17 12:09:01

Being proud I 'seem' to have instilled the right values in my daughter. I am so proud of her.

Jayanna9040 Wed 22-Mar-17 10:38:07

I just loved being pregnant. I bloomed, I glowed, I had boobs, I was good at it! Would have gone on and on having babies if we hadn't been so poor and so worried about world population...