Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

What's the best thing about being a mother? Signed book giveaway! **NOW CLOSED**

(59 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 20-Mar-17 08:42:10

If you're a long-distance gran or for any other reason don't have plans to see your children this weekend for Mother's Day, why not bake this delicious ginger cake by nutritionist Jane Clarke and invite another mother round for a cuppa.

Tell us what the best thing is about being a mother and be in with a chance of winning a signed copy of Jane's book Nourish.

You can find out more about Jane on her website.

Competition closes Friday 24 March.

NfkDumpling Mon 20-Mar-17 08:46:33

The best thing about being a mother? Always having something to worry about! Life is never dull, I'm never at a loose end, there's always something going on with one of them that needs a bit of worry. A bit of input. I'd be lost without it!

kittylester Mon 20-Mar-17 09:49:22

I agree with nfk completely but would add that I know that mine care for me and would do all they possibly could if I needed help! Xx

rosesarered Mon 20-Mar-17 10:07:59

The best thing about being a Mother (when the children were young) was all the things we did together, the walks in the countryside, trips to Museums and the sea side, seeing them grow physically and mentally and enjoying their company.
The best thing about being a Mother ( now our children are adults) is having shared experiences and things in common to talk about,and grandchildren to continue reading stories to and gardening and baking with, and trips to the swings and zoo.

vampirequeen Mon 20-Mar-17 10:15:36

Pick one thing? Impossible!

henetha Mon 20-Mar-17 11:06:53

First they were my children. Now they are my best friends.

nannienet Mon 20-Mar-17 15:10:12

The best thing about being a Mother..........is the feeling I get of feeling so proud of my daughters in the little and big things that they have done as children and adults in their lives. Knowing that yes, I did do something right as a Mother and now Nannie and that they are doing a good job too. Happy Mothers Day to all GN members.

maisie123 Mon 20-Mar-17 16:41:07

The best thing about being a mother? Seeing my Daughter and Son in Law being wonderful parents to their children

morethan2 Mon 20-Mar-17 17:07:02

Loving and being loved in return

jammy388 Mon 20-Mar-17 17:17:45

Finding the amount of love available grows in proportion to the number of people needing it.

Cherrytree59 Mon 20-Mar-17 17:29:56

That I now have tapestry of memories of love and laughter.
So many firsts
some tears and some sadness.
To be a mum is the greatest gift of all

It is also being aware that sadly not everyone shares the joys of motherhood and that I am extremely fortunate

NanaandGrampy Mon 20-Mar-17 17:34:57

The best thing about being a mother....is being a grandmother !

Swanny Mon 20-Mar-17 17:39:24

The best thing about being a mother is the immense pleasure I feel every time I see my son, or speak with him on the phone. It's a sensation of such happiness and warmth within me that mere words cannot do it justice and I feel as though I am physically glowing.

Greyduster Mon 20-Mar-17 18:12:41

I don't think I can add a single thing to what's already been said. We share in their joys and we are there to share in their sorrows too.

Harris27 Mon 20-Mar-17 21:03:04

The best thing about being a mother is knowing you've done your best got them on the road to life and are still here in the bsckground my middle son is getting married after living together for years with his girlfriend he asked my advice about marriage and I said just love each other! We are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary soon and our children were the by product of this love unbelievable! Life goes at great speed but our memories stay with us daily!!!

nancytownsend Tue 21-Mar-17 01:46:35

Love - unconditional love.

Grannyknot Tue 21-Mar-17 07:58:21

The best thing about being a mother is when the children grow up and get on with their lives grin

Rinouchka Tue 21-Mar-17 08:22:40

...not just being <a> mother, but being <the> mother of our four children and grandmother of their children. I glow with love for and pride in them and am constantly surprised by their very existence and achievements. How did that happen?grin

GrannyGlyn Tue 21-Mar-17 10:14:36

That moment when it's quiet just after they were born and they looked you straight in the eye as if they are looking into your soul. Wonderful.

Dannydog1 Tue 21-Mar-17 10:16:18

Seeing my daughter being a mum to her daughter.

obag Tue 21-Mar-17 10:24:37

The best thing about being a mum is that I have a lovely Daughter, she is my best friend and we often spend time doing girly things together. I feel so blessed.

Pamaga Tue 21-Mar-17 10:55:15

Loving and being loved - and having children whom you like and with whom you would share a friendship even if you were not related. So proud of the adults that my son and daughter have become: wonderful role models for my grandson.

funstr Tue 21-Mar-17 11:28:34

being able to share experiences anew, see their enjoyment as they discover something whether a creepy crawley on a walking in park,reading a new book. show my childhood haunts and games. spending time togeather whether reading, crafts, walk, play, cooking.listening to them, telling you about views or day, sometimes hard to do without laughing.

agreaves19 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:17:34

Having children is the most fulfilling experience, to have these little people you are responsible for and who need you completely. The little things they do put a smile on my face every day xx

Venus Tue 21-Mar-17 16:31:17

The best thing about being a mother is to know that my children are now independent, well adjusted people. I'm proud of the way they look after their families and have a sense of duty. As their mother, I hope that I have, in some small way, contributed towards them becoming these people and that, they, in turn, will pass these positive traits on to their children.