Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Leggings ARRRRRGGHHHH!

(50 Posts)
Leesa Mon 27-Mar-17 15:51:48

Leggings are a wonderful invention and I love wearing them with dresses or long tops.
However I cannot seem to find nice ones.They either are good quality and loose,wrinkled and baggy....or see-through with cheap feeling fabric!
I like them to cling to the leg but not so I can barely get my foot through the leg.
Can people please tell me where one can buy nice ones?

Maggiemaybe Sat 01-Apr-17 08:39:04

I bought Tesco F & F black leggings on a recommendation and I'll second it smile. They're nice and thick, a really good fit, don't bag and wash/last well. Oh, and they're cheap as chips!

I'll try Sainsbury's next just to compare them.

Anya Sat 01-Apr-17 08:26:49

Leggings are great worn with wellies too.

thatbags Sat 01-Apr-17 08:17:07

Re footwear with...

My favourite outfit at the mo is black/grey zig-zag patterned leggings with a grey/black/white dress (with 'ethnic' ribbon trim round the hemline), worn with thick, bright green walking socks and flat (I always wear flat) black lace up shoes.

I usually wear what DD2 (lovingly wink) calls a "silly hat" as well.

Make your own style smile

thatbags Sat 01-Apr-17 08:12:28

I have a couple of pairs from Gudrun Sjödén. They're costly but very good quality and hard-wearing. Also, they're mostly cotton; no yucky synthetics for me, thanks!

Oh, and colourful!

And fun!

M0nica Sat 01-Apr-17 07:31:20

Daisyboots as DanniRae says you can wear any shoes/boots you like with leggings . It depends only on how you think you look in any kind of footwear with them. I have a friend who would never wear anything but boots with leggings. I would never wear boots with leggings. I prefer shoes - pumps, shoes with heels, brogues.

When you are out and about look at what other women are wearing with their leggings, see how leggings are styled in fashion magazines or on the websites of clothing companies that sell them and see what they team with them. You will soon get your eye in and get a feel for what look you prefer and will feel happy wearing.

Oh, I am wearing dark grey leggings today. I am just about to put my peach coloured trainers on because I am off for my daily walk, I will return home to put my black house shoes on and when I go our later to shop I will be wearing bright shiny black patent leather brogues.

DanniRae Fri 31-Mar-17 15:32:02

Daisyboots - I wear long boots, short boots, pumps and, in summer, flipflops or gladiator sandals. I hope that helps?

Daisyboots Fri 31-Mar-17 13:40:23

I have several pairs of leggings and jeggings but have never worn them because I dont know what footwear to wear with them. Any help with this please would be appreciated?

goldengirl Fri 31-Mar-17 11:43:20

I wear leggings with tunics and find them very comfortable - though not particularly attractive but with boots they're presentable. I too am not really sure about what footwear to wear with them. Any I guess that are as comfortable as the leggings. When I remarked 'what will people think?'my nan used to reply 'noone is going to offer to buy you a replacement'!!!!!

Primetime Fri 31-Mar-17 09:08:07

Stick to stockings ladies smile

Caro1954 Tue 28-Mar-17 20:38:01

My legs are too "sturdy" for leggings sadsad but I do envy you ladies who can wear them.

mags1234 Tue 28-Mar-17 16:43:49

I m tall, and love my leggings with knee high boots and long tunic jumpers. Sorry if I'm being too obvious, but they last better if washed inside out.

Leesa Tue 28-Mar-17 16:25:22

Thank you Ladies for all your suggestions-I am now armed with much information to choose some really nice ones.

I agree leggings are not for everyone but they are perfect with a short dress (that I probably would have worn just with tights when I was younger) and boots.
I love the sound of treggings too Juney64

angelab Tue 28-Mar-17 14:44:43

Love the username David1968!

David1968 Tue 28-Mar-17 14:18:28

I'm a large lady and I wear Sainsburys leggings. The longest length is helpful for me as I'm 5' 7" tall. Over long tops they look great!

wilygran Tue 28-Mar-17 13:37:01

Try the sport section of TKMaxx. Often they have good quality leggings at very reasonable price in variety of colours, styles and sizes. You have to search through stuff you wouldn't dream of wearing, but it's worth the trouble! Good hunting!

Teddy123 Tue 28-Mar-17 13:34:29

I'm another M&S fan. Great quality and fit at a good price.

minxie Tue 28-Mar-17 12:39:37

Next are very good, they last well, and don't go baggy

hulahoop Tue 28-Mar-17 12:33:26

Look

hulahoop Tue 28-Mar-17 12:33:00

I envy all you can wear them but I have swollen knees so can't but I must agree Margrete some people don't seem to look and leggings are so thin you can see pants through not a good luck ?

Sheilasue Tue 28-Mar-17 12:31:45

I buy m&s leggings and Sainsbury's for my gd. I would say though don't get the cheapest ones in Sainsbury's they go really baggy, the marks ones are nice just got gd another pair, she lives and dies in them.

Leah50 Tue 28-Mar-17 12:19:55

I've several pairs of black leggings from Lidl, they're a great fit, the right length, (I'm 5'8"), colour-fast, quality fabric, wash like a dream....& best of all £3.99 a pair!

Juney64 Tue 28-Mar-17 12:17:13

I too like M&S treggings. They're somewhere between trousers and leggings. They're 'pull on', stretchy but give a nice feeling of support and always keep their shape.
They also come in short, medium and long lengths. I have several pairs and wear them all the time. Reasonably priced too. You can find them here...

www.marksandspencer.com/pull-on-treggings-with-staynew/p/p22400888?image=SD_01_T59_7880R_Y0_X_EC_90&color=BLACK&prevPage=srp

greatgranny Tue 28-Mar-17 11:49:29

Leggings are much more comfortable than tights, and the really thin ones are great in winter under other slax. Love my leggings.

margrete Tue 28-Mar-17 11:44:32

No, I wouldn't be seen dead in leggings. In my opinion they should only be seen in the gym.

I see too many women wearing them who - ahem - really shouldn't. If they could see themselves from the back maybe they wouldn't. At least they can look down and see their hefty thighs, but it doesn't put them off.

Trousers yes, leggings never.

Maccyt1955 Tue 28-Mar-17 11:28:20

If you are happy to pay more then Winser London do amazing leggings. They are made of good quality material, and don't stretch and sag. As I say, very pricey, but for price per wear, they don't wear out, and so pay for themselves very soon. If you are short like me, you may need to take them up.