Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Sunny Sunday early evening walk

(8 Posts)
Shirleyw Sun 14-May-17 18:51:42

...turned out a nice warm and sunny day after a rainy start. Would of been an enjoyable walk with the dogs earlier but we met an an agressive looking American bull dog type ....the girl could hardly restrain it.....ours are terriers so rather little to take on a strong dog like that....we put ours on leads but itt ruined my walk as I was forever looking round to make sure it not freed it self and making a bee line for us....usually where we go we hardly see anyone ......still, was lovely to see all the bluebells out in the woods, .......Shirley

rosesarered Sun 14-May-17 18:56:44

Hello Shirley yes, it's a lovely evening.What a shame your walk was spoilt by the other dog.Always a worry when your own dog is a small one.
The bluebells are out in the garden and the scent after a shower of rain on a warm day is wonderful.Last week we visited a bluebell wood ( and saw a deer) which is a rare occurance.
We need more sunny days and evenings, but at the same time welcome rain as it has been so dry here for a long time.Monday is supposed to tip it down, so no walks tomorrow.

M0nica Sun 14-May-17 19:33:33

I am a walker who doesn't own a dog and I fully understand that dog owners like to let their dogs off the lead when they get out of the village and onto the footpaths, but I do think they should be more aware about other walkers.

Yesterday as I was walking I saw a lady and two dogs, one large, one small coming towards me off the lead. The dogs were well ahead of their owner and when they got within 20 yards of me they both stood in that aggressive wide straight legged stance and barked at me.

I did what I always do, I stood still and quiet and waited for the owner to call them to heel and sometimes put the lead on, but this owner did nothing for several mnutes until she had climbed the hill very slowly behind them - and all the time they were barking and edging nearer to me. I was not at all happy about this.

As Shirleyw says, when you go for a walk on a lovely day owners whose control of their dogs is uncertain can completely spoil it.

Cherrytree59 Sun 14-May-17 19:41:22

Hello shirley
Lovely evening but no walk for us.
4hrs at wild life sanctuary and running round the play park has put paid to that.
(with 2 & 3 year old DGS I hasten to add)
So I have feet up in conservatory listening to the birds.

roses we have lots of deer near by.
2yr old GS gets quite upset if we don't spot one!
The down side - The forestry have put up signs stating that there has been 160 collisions with Deer between last year and now.
sad

annsixty Sun 14-May-17 20:22:37

I have such lovely memories of Sunday evening walks with our dog who was always under control, until she saw the lake we used to walk to, when she would strain to be let off the lead and make a beeline for the water. She would swim for ages and loved it. We always made sure she was under our control around people.
I should say this was around 65/70 years ago and such a boost to my memories.

gillybob Sun 14-May-17 21:59:02

I Had the most wonderful early evening walk today ShirleyW . I don't have a dog but did pat a few if that counts. I walked from my house right along the beach, stopped and had a cheeky ice cream then sat on a wall and listened to a band playing in a beer garden nearby. (Very good they were too). Happy sunshine days.

rosesarered Sun 14-May-17 22:32:19

cherry we see deer crossing the roads ( not always successfully) sad but rarely see them in an actual wood.grin
gilly not sure what a cheeky ice cream is......does it answer back?

gillybob Mon 15-May-17 07:39:53

Just a silly figure of speech roses . Meaning I really shouldn't have had it (I had not long finished dinner and had a cheek having it). Could've been worse it might have been a "cheeky pint" wink