Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Rain BH Monday....

(17 Posts)
Shirleyw Mon 29-May-17 05:10:48

......but we been lucky with the weather and we took the GC back yesterday ...had them since Friday ....so we were all out and about and had a great time.....went to a splash park on Saturday....they are a great idea.... Woke up this morning to hear the sound of rain hopefully it will ease off......so we were lucky.....

Sulis Mon 29-May-17 09:11:36

ah, me too, lucky to have my entire family - son, daughter in law and both grandchildren, one now living with son's ex partner, with me since Friday, and back to their respective homes today. Bliss, but exhausted, and now looking forward to their next trip and in the meantime enjoying peace and quiet!!

Crazygrandma2 Mon 29-May-17 09:43:48

Hope we'll be as lucky as you were, as our son gets married on Saturday!

Kim19 Mon 29-May-17 10:20:24

Ditto from me. Had the most fantastic couple of days with family in residence. Weather iced the cake indeed. However...... have to agree with the exhausting element. I've aches where I never even knew I had muscles because of excessive lifting of GC, indulging in commando style adventure playground stuff and constant races. Blimey! Furthermore I'm now ploughing through ironing. Two single sheets, two duvet covers and four pillowcases done. Only one double sheet and duvet to go. I'm eyeing them up right now and the word 'later' is winning. This chat is far preferable and such release. Thanks Gs

Rosina Mon 29-May-17 11:19:54

I'm always amazed at the amount of 'squares' that have to be laundered after family visits - duvet covers, pillowcases, sheets, tea towels, towels - ok, not squares I know but poetic licence here. We too had a fantastic weekend with the family; looked around the table yesterday in the lovely garden of a friend who had asked us all for a barbecue , and reflected that everyone I loved was there, we were healthy and happy, well fed and safe. Lucky me.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 29-May-17 13:13:52

I feel lucky that I made the effort to mow the lawn yesterday when the sun was out - it only takes about ten minutes but it's my most hated outside job.
Two of my roses look fabulous but I wish that I'd sprayed the greenfly with washing up water as there was quite a lot of the little devils. It's raining now so I'll put that right tomorrow. Still, I'm safe and reasonably well which is more than could be said for some poor souls.

Sheilasue Mon 29-May-17 13:29:17

Has been great the weather especially as it's a bank holiday. Feel sorry for those poor souls stuck at the airports though.

Pittcity Mon 29-May-17 13:32:13

Life's too short to iron bedding. Top pillowcase gets a quick flatten, that's all. Not raining here in Colchester yet!

pollyperkins Mon 29-May-17 13:41:31

Whoever heard of ironing towels? I dont do sheets either but do iron pillowcases and duvet covers.

LadyGracie Mon 29-May-17 14:28:10

I iron clothes, full stop, my mother used to iron everything, down to dishcloths! I've just hung all my stored summer clothes up hoping that some of the creases fall out. I should be so lucky!

Maggers Mon 29-May-17 14:44:52

I love hanging out washing on a sunny day but I don't like bringing it in and folding it up and putting it away

willa45 Mon 29-May-17 17:05:35

Summer weather has arrived here in the US too. Summer is also the season for frequent weekend visitors. I used to resent all the sheets and towels, cleaning the spare bath etc. These days I realize that all of this is a small trade off for having good company and happy times. Whatever the reason, I don't seem to mind it as much as I used to, so I've definitely 'mellowed' with age.

cassandra264 Mon 29-May-17 17:21:03

My partner does all the cleaning and ironing while I do everything in the kitchen and take responsibility for all the finances and trouble shooting generally. We are getting a bit creaky now, and I am wondering this year if we have bitten off more than we can chew with lots of summer visitors descending upon us at regular intervals until the autumn - but you are right, willa45, this is the trade off for good company and happy times. Must make the most of it before we need zimmer frames...!smile

Swanny Mon 29-May-17 18:17:18

Yes I've just had DGS all day and am shattered! No time for recuperation though as he will be here each day this week as it's half-term. Being autistic he is very much 'full-on' at times and his behaviour can change rapidly. This morning we went to a local park I hadn't been to before and he had a great time, using equipment he'd been scared to before. Brilliant! Got back before the showers and his mum has just picked him up. The only down-side is his dad is on night duty this week but other than that we're very lucky and grateful for it smile

Lyndylou Mon 29-May-17 18:32:30

My temp work contract got extended from end March to end June which I wasn't expecting, so every spare moment during May has been spent in the garden and my house has started to look neglected. My lovely daughter and her son (9) came round today and we had a whole house clear up. Exhausting, but everything looks so much better and my head no longer feels as if it has a hundred to do tasks in it!

Belleringer Mon 29-May-17 20:35:04

Oh we've been so lucky too. A week ago today my little grandson had a big op, he was quite poorly for a couple of days but recovered enough for them to bring him up here for the bank holiday weekend. In the lovely sunshine yesterday he was running around and kicking his football and his 6" incision didn't seem to be bothering him at all. They recover so quickly at that age, I can't imagine having been able to do that a week after my hysterectomy!

Shirleyw Mon 29-May-17 21:09:07

We all had busy weekends with our GC.....great........I've been tired all day after winding down lol......a nice tired though.....back to being a quiet house ?