Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

You're invited to the Gransnet party

(176 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Jun-17 13:59:05

Hello!

<pokes head over political threads parapet to assess whether or not it's safe to tie up the last of the (apolitical) bunting>...

in preparation for....

..our very own Gransnet Great Get Together! This Sunday 18th June around midday we will be taking part in the nationwide celebrations, in honour of the late Jo Cox and her belief that we have #MoreInCommon.

We would like to invite you all to bring your own Pimms or tipple of choice and a plate of virtual goodies and come join the fun. If you’re up to baking, we’ve got some tasty recipe ideas…

We’ll be giving away spot PRIZES and sharing silly gifs. We invite you all to share a joke, a funny or heartwarming story or just let us know what you’re up to.

If you prefer to meet up with people nearby in real life there’s plenty happening nationwide. You can check out a local Great Get Together here. Or check out your Gransnet Local page to see if anything’s been organised by a local editor.

There’s been so much sadness in recent weeks and this is the perfect opportunity to show our support for each other and our communities. We hope to see you here on Sunday - bunting lovers or not. grin

Chewbacca Mon 19-Jun-17 18:08:07

Pittcity <whispers> think those feet belonged to roses. She was a bit "happy" last night and imbibed a little more than usual at the party. wink

Pittcity Mon 19-Jun-17 17:21:54

Did we find out who the feet belonged to?

NonnaW Mon 19-Jun-17 13:22:28

Thanks charleygirl, I'm sur I can fit the rest of the glasses in my dishwasher. You might need several trips to the bottle bank though!

ann being a well deserved prize winner, we will excuse you from clearing up!

Charleygirl Mon 19-Jun-17 10:30:16

That sounds great- will hopefully keep your mind off other matters but I doubt it.

annsixty Mon 19-Jun-17 10:13:22

A book, I am awaiting confirmation. I will let you know.

Charleygirl Mon 19-Jun-17 09:57:29

What did you win?

annsixty Mon 19-Jun-17 09:55:56

Clearing up is far beneath me
I won a prize you know ?

Charleygirl Mon 19-Jun-17 09:53:09

I am very much into recycling so the bottles will be cleared in a jiffy. I doubt if my dishwasher will take the amount of glasses lying around but I can try.

NonnaW Mon 19-Jun-17 09:27:14

Who's volunteering to help clear up the garden? There are empty bottles and glasses everywhere (and do I see a pair of feet showing from under that bush?)

Lovely party everyone. Thanks GNHQ for arranging it flowers

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 19-Jun-17 02:24:55

Congratulations to all the worthy prize winners! wine

Chewbacca Sun 18-Jun-17 23:14:15

moon

Maggiemaybe Sun 18-Jun-17 23:11:22

Congratulations, Grannyknot, and goodnight revellers all! smile

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 18-Jun-17 21:52:11

Eroodfan the party was announced here last Thursday and my invitation arrived at 9 o'clock this morning. Shame you missed the start, but the night is still young! wine

Grannyknot Sun 18-Jun-17 21:45:08

Oh ...what a lovely party - and a prize for me! Thank you smile

Congrats to other winners and thanks for the fun.

Chewbacca Sun 18-Jun-17 21:34:33

Night Poshgran , thanks for the comedy turns, helped make the party even better!
wine a nightcap!

PoshGran Sun 18-Jun-17 21:31:29

Yay Grannyknot ! wine & more wine

PoshGran Sun 18-Jun-17 21:29:28

Right, last appearance from me....have to go water the OH & wake up the garden, or 'tother way round.

Will watch out for fireworks after dark, don't trip up if you start line/square/country/pole disco dancing, turn the lights out when you're done & don't spend hours shouting "Goodnight" at the top of your voices as you leave (ringing a few doorbells & running away giggling is allowed though!)

Last one - promise!!
I'm not very good at magic - I can only do half of a trick. Yes, I'm a member of the Magic Semi-Circle!

(Thanks to Tim Vine who didn't even know he was making an appearance at this gig!)

Good Night Ladies, it's been fun being here with you.
Ta-ra grin

Chewbacca Sun 18-Jun-17 21:22:39

Congratulations grannyknot!

Maimeo Sun 18-Jun-17 21:22:15

Seems I had such a busy weekend here in Ireland that I missed the party.... but I've a freshly made Porter Cake just out of the oven here that I could bring to the post mortem before my DH cuts the first slice...

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 18-Jun-17 21:13:59

Pittcity grin

OK - from the names in the hat our winner this time is grannyknot

(We agree about the post-mortem btw)

rosesarered Sun 18-Jun-17 20:52:15

Can't hold much liquid of any kind these days unfortunately........where's the loo?

Chewbacca Sun 18-Jun-17 20:40:29

Thank you Maggie .
Think someone needs to keep an eye on roses, she can't hold her liquor. wink

jojojo Sun 18-Jun-17 20:39:53

3 favourite things - the people, the outfits, the music

rosesarered Sun 18-Jun-17 20:36:00

Chewy.......it's a pub crawl wink

Maggiemaybe Sun 18-Jun-17 20:26:41

Wahay, annsixty and Chewbacca, well done on your prizes!

My favourite things about parties are dancing, drinking and laughter.

I'm also partial to a party bag - we went to a 40th last week with a table full of traditional sweets and striped paper bags to put them in. I filled mine with a dozen sherbet flying saucers, for the grandsons, and wolfed them all before I staggered up to bed. blush