Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

soop's friendly kitchen for like-minded folk and pampered pets.

(1001 Posts)
soop Tue 22-Aug-17 16:49:50

Yay!
Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good pals and jolly good company.

soop Tue 26-Sep-17 17:24:53

It appears that the new kitchen is about ready to move into. Before I log off, I shall welcome you through the door.

soop Tue 26-Sep-17 17:23:24

I may not be able to do my ironing duties tomorrow. We've both stinking coughs. GP asked if we'd like to have a flu jag this week. When I told her how we are feeling she said, no way. Wait until you've both recovered.

soop Tue 26-Sep-17 17:20:14

I had to share all your comments with MacSporran. He nodded and smiled. xxx

annsixty Tue 26-Sep-17 17:09:35

RIP Rory
A well loved pet.

callgirl1 Tue 26-Sep-17 17:08:45

Don`t know what happened there, it must have been when I was adding the final bit.

callgirl1 Tue 26-Sep-17 17:07:32

Oh Soop, I`m in tears here. I`m so sorry about poor dear Rory, even though his death was expected, it`s still so sad to hear about his dying. I think that his final resting place is just right, perfect, in fact. I know that you would have liked MacS with you at the get together, but it was entirely the right, and the unselfish thing for him to do, to stay with Rory. Lots of love to you and to MacS.

R.I.P Ruaridh

grannyqueenie Tue 26-Sep-17 17:06:26

Dear soop what sad news for you to return home to, your lovely man was wise indeed in his decision to stay at home this last weekend. I'm glad you were able to see your much loved Rory and know he was to have the resting place you chose for him. I'm thinking of you both flowers.

callgirl1 Tue 26-Sep-17 17:03:53

Oh Soop, I`m in tears here. I`m so sorry about poor dear Rory, even though his death was expected, it`s still so sad to hear about his dying. I think that his final resting place is just right, perfect, in fact. I know that you would have liked MacS with you at the get together, but it was entirely the right, and the unselfish thing for him to do, to stay with Rory. Lots of love to you and to MacS.

NanaandGrampy Tue 26-Sep-17 16:57:02

Oh soop such sad news.

Never was a cat more loved than Rory.

I suspect his spirit will live on in your woodland and in quiet corners of your home for a long, long time xxx

NanaandGrampy Tue 26-Sep-17 16:55:58

Afternoon all !

Glad you and Paw had a better night yesterday Maw . Everything is so much better with a decent amount of sleep.

My Mum used to say GrannieQueenie that as long as we kids behaved well outside the house she could deal with what happened at home. I think teaching children the different behaviours needed in different situations is a key skill. Long may us old school Nana's make it so smile

Welcome back Galen - so how was your lovely cruise?

Cooper starts swimming lessons in 2 weeks Grey I fear he will be a totally different kettle of fish !! Jackson loves it and has now joined the other 2 grandchildren as competent in the water. It was always a big thing for me as a navy brat and living by the sea for all my early life that my children learned to swim as soon as possible and the same with the GC.

Sorry to hear you are feeling poorly. I think I am well on the way to recovery . Just an annoying cough left but no where near what it was.

Sorry to hear your day was difficult Ann . I love your strength because I know when you say 'difficult' it was all that and so much more !!

Lovely picture Nellie !!

I did chuckle about Persie waving and sinking Kitty . When our youngest was 4 she started riding and down one wall of the arena was a bank of mirrored windows. Even now I can see her trotting round with all the others and then spending one length admiring herself in the mirrors ! Well trained old hacks can be the only reason she never fell off !!

Lovely picture Maw talk about growing fast!

That is one cute pup Itellhim !! We shall all want regular 'pup dates' !

Charleygirl Tue 26-Sep-17 16:37:53

I am so sorry to hear that Rory has died- a very well loved cat by so many. He and Bracken had the best of everything and given with so much love.

soop Tue 26-Sep-17 16:37:28

For all of you smile flowers sunshine. I'm about to read through all your messages since I've been away.

Gagagran Tue 26-Sep-17 16:33:54

Oh soop sending love and commiserations. I know how much Rory meant to you both. He finally used up his nine lives. RIP in the forest.

Your family gathering sounds just like the ones we have - such happy times and especially to see how the younger ones are growing and changing every time. Our only DGS is trying really hard to grow taller than me and I think he might make it before Christmas the rate at which he is growing! I am sorry MacS missed this gathering but it proved to be the right decision as things turned out. There will be other gatherings but never another Rory. flowers

MawBroon Tue 26-Sep-17 16:32:56

Oh soop tears here too. We have lived with your very special cat it seems for so long, I feel I know him personally and can imagine all too well the huge hole in your lives.
A quiet and hopefully painfree and dignified end to a unique life. RIP dear Rory

soop Tue 26-Sep-17 16:25:45

Thank you for your kind messages.

I would like to lift the mood and tell you about the family gathering. Travelling alone seemed very strange. We celebrate our 29th wedding anniversary this coming weekend and have always enjoyed doing things together.

The bus journey was an early start and I had been awake since 4:30 a.m. I had hoped to sleep until we reached Glasgow. No way! Taxied to the station and had two pairs of willing hands to help me board the train. The quiet coach was anything but. Four ladies with loud cackling laughs sat behind me. It wasn't until we'd travelled half way that they buzzed off. I was never more pleased. wink
On arriving at Birmingham New Street, it was rush hour. A lovely lady assisted me with my bags and she helped me to board the connecting train to Oakham. I'm trying to recall her name. I would like to give a good account of her assistance. Finally arrived at my destination at 5:30. My son met me, and in the evening we went out for a delicious Indian meal. Next day it was full steam ahead. Laughter and blethering until bedtime. My son, Matt and grandson stayed in the cottage with me. At 6:00 sharp Torben came into my bedroom, and we played with his Lego recue sea plane. I was still half asleep. Everyone member of the family, other than MacSporran arrived at middle son's home. Grandchildren had travelled from London, Bristol, Sussex and Leicester. We had a lovely happy, noisy day chatting, playing quizzes and other nonsensical games. At 10:p.m. a taxi ferried us back to the cottage. Sunday was spent having coffee and further blethering in a charming tea room in picturesque Oakham. After lunch family members said goodbyes and boarded trains back to their home towns. It was at this point that my mobile phone fell from my bag and finished up in son's car boot. It wasn't until I was checking the contents of my bag that I realised I had mislaid it. Panic! Two lovely people sitting close to me on the train allowed me to use their phones to call MacSporran.
I met with so much kindness fro start to finish. We had booked a room at the Premier Inn in George Street as by the time we arrived in Glasgow, the last bus had left. My room was changed so that I didn't need to walk far. The lady at the desk accompanied me to my room which was excellent. After breakfast the following day I took a taxi to the bus station. I was assisted at every stage. Such kindness. smile
You know what happened thereafter. It was a wonderful experience...apart from the very sad homecoming.
I shall add a few photos. I apologise for taking up so much of your time. It helps to share with you.

Juliette Tue 26-Sep-17 16:24:38

Was there ever a cat that was loved by so many people?
Rest in peace Rory.
Sent with love from Juliette and Reg the lodger dog.

Baggs Tue 26-Sep-17 16:15:07

Sorry to hear about Rory, soop. Even though you both knew his death to be imminent, it will be hard. Much love shooting your way xx

A black tom cat came to watch me vacuuming up leaves this afternoon from the drive and then scything a bit of bank. He had a look in the outhouse too; I'd left the door open. I don't think it is Duffus from next door.

shysal Tue 26-Sep-17 15:48:22

Such sad news soop. I am sure you are very glad that MacS stayed home to be there at the end. His final resting place sounds perfect. flowers

devongirl Tue 26-Sep-17 15:27:20

Soop, so sorry to hear your news, which brought me to tears also. I think what you decided to do for him at the end is ideal flowers

kittylester Tue 26-Sep-17 15:24:24

Soop, thank you for telling us about Rory as soon as you could. I'm so sad for both of you and for the kitchen. I've shed a few tears. You and MacS, gave him a wonderful life and peaceful end. flowers

soop Tue 26-Sep-17 15:12:36

A sunny good afternoon to you lovely lot. I've missed you.

Before I read through all the latest messages, I need to share some sad news. Rory died yesterday lunchtime. About three hours before I walked into the house. MacSporran had stayed behind with him as I attended the family gathering. Early in the morning MacSporran knew that Rory had enjoyed his final few days, and was no longer interested in anything other than retiring behind my chair in the corner of the room. It was a Scottish Bank Holiday and difficult to contact the vet. When she arrived she was stunned to discover that, almost three months after her last visit, Rory had soldiered on. Due to his substantial size, she had to give him more than two doses of anaesthetic. Afterwards, MacSporran was so upset he stripped the cooker and cleaned the oven. I had lost my mobile phone. It was discovered in my son's car after I'd boarded the train. I learned of Rory's death when I was met from the bus in the village. MacSporran wanted me to see Rory one last time. On entering the sitting room I saw him lying on his big, feather cushion. At that point, we shed many tears. MacSporran wrapped Rory in his best blanket and took him up into the forest from which he had appeared almost six years ago. We agreed that we wanted him to lie in a sheltered place under the bracken. Nature's way seemed preferable to being buried or cremated.
The house seems unusually quiet. There is a strange emptiness on walking through the door. It will take us both a very long time to recover from his death. I shall add a favourite image of Rory and Bracken, as a means of saying farewell to a very special, bossy, beautiful boy cat.

Greyduster Tue 26-Sep-17 08:42:11

Couldn't have put it better myself! Gorgeous! There was a toddler at the surgery yesterday putting into practice the "thousand interesting things you can do with a tiny plastic chair"! He had us all in stitches. Every surgery should have one!

cornergran Tue 26-Sep-17 08:41:58

Agree ann, well about the puppy although our grandchildren are growing apace and we just aren't needed by two of them in the way we were. Happy for them, sad for us.

Know what you mean about the will I/won't I of clothes sorting, mawb. Trouble is the mirror says something different to my internal mirror.

More walking today, although my aches and pains say not as much as yesterday, no rain so far and the physio-terrorist is waiting to pounce

Take care all.

Bellanonna Tue 26-Sep-17 08:38:29

I agree ann. Aren't they gorgeous!

annsixty Tue 26-Sep-17 08:32:30

Photographs like those two just shouldn't be allowed, they make me so full of GC and puppy envy.
I might just have to report them.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion