Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Good Morning Thursday

(30 Posts)
12Michael Thu 01-Mar-18 06:34:35

Good Morning Everyone,
Its cold its freezing and snowing here in Brackley this morning, it started yesterday , I usually go out on a Thursday for shop and Chinese in Bicester but have declined due to weather and public transport situ being cut.
Mick

Gagagran Thu 01-Mar-18 06:37:02

Morning Mick and all!

Strong east wind and perishing cold here on the south coast so we are off to the supermarket before the next snow from the south arrives - or not!

Keep safe and warm everybody. sunshine

Baggs Thu 01-Mar-18 06:38:16

Morning Mick and everyone! Deep snow (for sea level Argyll) and the local bus is not running so I can't get to work. Was just thinking about contacting my boss when she texted me not to go in. Minibaggs's school is shut too. I expect she'll get in a bit extra of that most important of teenage things: sleep.

Happy days, dudes! ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

whitewave Thu 01-Mar-18 06:46:13

Morning all of you in the deep freeze

Yes Mick sensible decision.

Really bitter wind here. All the poor things who have to survive this out there! My greenhouse isn’t heated and my plants are suffering. We have a heated propagator and those in there like the cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes look happy enough though.

Watch the day from your windows folks, and that gives me an excuse to sit and read or do some painting! Good-oh

kittylester Thu 01-Mar-18 06:56:02

Good morning all from North Leicestershire where it is still cold!!

My drive home from Derby yesterday was pretty straight forward until I got to the road into the village when it became a bit slippy.

Shopping for me today.

Keep warm and safe everyone!

millymouge Thu 01-Mar-18 06:56:07

Good morning all. No more snow overnight in this part of Essex but what there is has frozen hard. Bitterly cold. Dogs just popped down the garden for a wee and rushed back in. I have physio appointment this morning but will see what the roads are like and if the physiotherapist has made it in. Keep warm and safe everybody.

NannyJan53 Thu 01-Mar-18 07:04:52

Good Morning all

Bitterly cold here in the Black Country, not much snow though yet, although it snowed off and on all day yesterday but didn't really stick.

Doctor's appointment at 8.30, but will walk as we live on a hill and if it snows whilst I am there, may not be able to drive back!

U3A monthly meeting this afternoon, where we have to pay our yearly membership, so I will walk there too, only takes about 15 minutes. I am going to put my gym leggings under my jeans though, cannot remember it being this cold for a long time.

It's a shame you cannot go out Mick, but better to be safe. Take care everyone and keep warm.

oldgoat Thu 01-Mar-18 07:08:53

Morning all. Lots more snow overnight in York and it's still falling so we won't be going far today.
Fingers crossed that we will hear today that DS2 has been awarded a place at the same secondary school as his elder brother.
Just off outside to feed the birds and afraid that the snow might over-top my wellies.
Stay safe and warm everybody.

harrigran Thu 01-Mar-18 07:29:48

Good morning from the Arctic north east, we have had contiuous snow for 48 hours now. DH has been popping out at intervals to clear the drive so we will be able to get the car out.
There are no schools open and no buses running.
It is our neighbour's funeral in two hours.

NanKate Thu 01-Mar-18 07:31:11

Morning Mick Kitty and All.

Light dusting of snow in South Bucks. Feels like the bloomin Artic.

I see from your post OldGoat that there is heavy snow in York well my DS is supposed to be doing a Show at a school in Harrogate today not far from you. His hotel is only a few minutes from the school, I do hope they don't close the school.

Keep warm folks.

12Michael Thu 01-Mar-18 07:41:58

Still snowing its the type of snow which in the wind will become drifts its -5 outside.
Staying put, why risk travel with clothing and shoes
Mick

Nana3 Thu 01-Mar-18 08:03:03

Good morning, white rabbits. We have icy conditions in Lancashire but other parts of the country have it worse so stay safe and warm everyone.
I have a cold coming, the cough is awful, it's the lurgy that most of you have had I think.

farview Thu 01-Mar-18 08:07:49

Good morning all,snowing here in Lancashire, enjoying watching it from my kitchen window, swirling &twirling beautifully on the Moors at the back of my house,take care everyone❄☃❄

kittylester Thu 01-Mar-18 08:08:58

I miss PRINTMISS when some one says 'white rabbits'. sad

ginny Thu 01-Mar-18 08:11:19

Good morning. Just started to snow again here in N Bucks. It seems to come and then almost go before the next lot. So, not too bad so far but of course freezing cold. Will be staying put today.

Tea and cake Thu 01-Mar-18 08:22:52

Horizontally whipping snow in freezing wind here. Roll on spring.

Oopsadaisy12 Thu 01-Mar-18 08:24:42

Morning everyone, still very light snow coming down, but no sun today, larger flakes just started..... due to get a lot more later today, or will we?
DH is not going to Essex to look at the car, common sense prevailed, no chance of test driving it and his 2 mates are blizzarded in. Is that a word?
I still have to schlep to the hairdresser later, but now DH can drop me off, hope he will be able to collect me, I don’t want to be snowed in as it’s in a gym, and I’ll have to watch everyone getting fit!

ninathenana Thu 01-Mar-18 08:30:59

Morning all

No buses, schools all closed, some roads closed and it's just started ❄❄❄ again. We are the exception to the "no bad weather next to the sea rule" as we are on the coast road in Kent.

Marydoll Thu 01-Mar-18 08:31:50

Good morning all,

We are still snowed in, it's worse than yesterday. I think I have chest infection, but can't get to doctor's.
Our nephew is getting married on Saturday and is stranded in Edinburgh with his partner.
More importantly his father needs dialysis today, but can't get to hospital.
It is all so stressful. I'm praying for a big thaw!

silverlining48 Thu 01-Mar-18 08:33:21

Good morning all
It’s snowing again here in Kent. Beginning to get fed up with the white stuff as I havnt been out so far. Keep warm everyone and take care.

Greyduster Thu 01-Mar-18 08:34:29

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Still snowing here today. You do well to stay put Mick - no more frostbitten toes, please! It is still snowing here so I can’t see us getting out again today. I hope other arrangements can be made for GS coming home from school as it is one of our pickup days. Harri take care this morning on the road. Stay safe and warm, folks.

Greyduster Thu 01-Mar-18 08:37:48

May I also take the opportunity to wish Cornergran happy anniversary today? ???.

MawBroon Thu 01-Mar-18 08:38:23

Good morning everybody. At the risk of being unoriginal we seem to have snow here and at the equal risk of being grumpy I could do without it.
My sympathies to all who are even more seriously inconvenienced like Marydoll
Grump ❄️ grump ❄️

Tippy22 Thu 01-Mar-18 08:46:01

No snow overnight here in East Sussex but the sky looks grey and leaden so I don't think it will be long before we get another deluge. Stay warm everyone.

Pittcity Thu 01-Mar-18 08:46:15

Good morning from snowy Colchester. It is bitterly cold and now very deep. The falling snow is whirling around in the wind. DH and DS (college closed) are beginning to go stir crazy, so I might try to get them to go out for supplies.