Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Good morning friday

(48 Posts)
stevierichards1954 Fri 08-Jun-18 05:06:53

For a few a start to long weekend. Overcast here but it may change in west mids. How is everyone?

NanKate Sat 09-Jun-18 16:04:53

Very well said Greyduster you have summed the situation up perfectly. And yes Mick has not intervened in anyway.

He seems to start the day off well for me and all that follow slot in well.

As the two Ronnies and the chap with the long legs, whose name evades me, said in the sketch from That was the week that was. ‘I know my place’.

Greyduster Sat 09-Jun-18 13:36:18

With all due respect, it’s not prickliness. I for one am sorry that it should come across like that. In the great scheme of things it doesn’t matter who starts the thread, but, to my knowledge, and if I’m wrong, I will stand corrected, I have never seen Mick post on any other thread than the Good Morning thread and it has come to be regarded as long as I have been on here as his thread to open. I don’t know why, nor have I seen anyone question it before. It does not occur on any other thread, and neither should it. Personally, I rather like it. Others might not. Whether the status quo should be maintained is not my call to make, but I hope we can bring this to some sort of amicable conclusion soon, as it may by now be causing him some embarrassment. It would if it were me.

winterwhite Sat 09-Jun-18 12:58:57

I started this thread and I’d like to confirm that I delib mentioned no names and meant no offence. The responses do seem to me to reveal a surprising prickliness re departures from convention but will leave it at that.

kittylester Sat 09-Jun-18 12:57:07

Except it's Saturday gg. grin

GrannyGravy13 Sat 09-Jun-18 12:45:21

Good morning all, sorry I am also relatively new to this thread, and having had my fingers burnt on another I will do my best to conform to your traditions.

Sunny here in Essex, my wings are clipped for the next 6 weeks (foot fracture and torn ligaments) so shall be reliant on my 'new virtual friends'

Wishing you all a lovely day ahead

NanKate Sat 09-Jun-18 10:35:35

I like your wording Kitty a convention not a rule.

Marydoll Sat 09-Jun-18 07:56:08

Very wise Maw. smile

MawBroon Sat 09-Jun-18 07:48:03

I may be shot down for this but I think we need to think of both stevie and Micks feelings on this and ask them

kittylester Sat 09-Jun-18 07:37:19

It's not really a rule more a convention.

NanKate Sat 09-Jun-18 07:16:24

No to my knowledge there are no other rules of etiquette Jen on GN this one is unique.

jenpax Sat 09-Jun-18 01:51:32

I have never put a comment on the good morning thread before and am relatively new to GN I was unaware of the etiquette of the post and I am sure I am not the only one! Are there any other unspoken rules or etiquettes that newer members might be unaware of?
No one wants to annoy older GN members but we don’t always know these rules

Mapleleaf Fri 08-Jun-18 23:10:01

That's such a shame, NanKate. There's no need for anyone to be nasty about it.

NanKate Fri 08-Jun-18 15:52:46

I agree with Greyduster, Mawbroon and Marydoll that it has been a given for some years that we wait for Mick to start the day off for us. When I explained this in a pleasant non threatening way some months back, I found on another thread some very nasty comments said about me for having the temerity to say something.

Marydoll Fri 08-Jun-18 14:49:38

There are good number of new posters on here which is great. I love to hear what everyone has planned for their day.
I'm sure the newer posters have been blissfully unaware that there is an "etiquette" here. It took me ages to realise that there was. confused.
As Greyduster has said, Mick would not want this to become contentious, so please keep posting everyone.

MawBroon Fri 08-Jun-18 13:11:49

I think Michael12 aka to all of us as Mick started the whole idea of this thread way back in the mists of time and has always started it. I’m sure nobody minds ?

Greyduster Fri 08-Jun-18 13:04:50

No-one, I am sure, is trying to be unkind or unwelcoming to anyone. It’s not a question of whether it matters, but there is an unspoken etiquette around the fact that, for as long as I can remember anyway, 12Michael has always started this thread off. Most people seem to latch on and are happy to accept it. The last thing anyone, and certainly not Mick himself, would want is for the matter to become contentious.

winterwhite Fri 08-Jun-18 12:21:24

I rarely look at GN first thing, but is there a monopoly on this thread about who posts first? Some posts sound quite unwelcoming if a different person starts the thread. Not very GN like. Does it matter who gets going first?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 08-Jun-18 10:46:41

Good morning all, sun has just come out in my part of Essex.

Have a good weekend mawbroon.

Good morning ab, hope you are well ?

Mapleleaf Fri 08-Jun-18 10:31:07

Welcome, Yiayia4. I’m sure you’ll have many happy hours posting on the GN forums. ?

NannyJan53 Fri 08-Jun-18 10:21:33

Late good morning everyone.

Damp and grey here in The Black Country, after a lovely sunny week.

Off to gym shortly, then the dreaded housework and ironing. Partner is working from home today, so will have some company smile

Have a good day all.

Menopaws Fri 08-Jun-18 09:20:31

Welcome yiayia from another Surrey gran!

Greenfinch Fri 08-Jun-18 08:58:28

Nice to hear from you Yiayia4.What an interesting username you have chosen.I don't know whereabouts you are in Surrey but we are having a small meet up in Staines on 28th June.You are very welcome to join us if you are free and would like to .
It is also very cloudy here in Berkshire. I am going to a garden party at a local stately home today where DH is a guide so it would be nice to see a bit of sunshine.

Greyduster Fri 08-Jun-18 08:50:51

Welcome Yiayia4 and keep posting!

Yiayia4 Fri 08-Jun-18 08:34:38

Good Morning from A cloudy Surrey,my first post,
got the courage at last.Busy day looking after my GS,have a good day everyone.

Anniebach Fri 08-Jun-18 08:21:15

Good morning all x