Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Afternoon Tea and Cake or Scones

(44 Posts)
12Michael Wed 27-Jun-18 14:57:30

Or if you prefer a coffee alternative.
Favourite Cakes
I like depending on where I am , mind you some of cafes like Bettys have a slightly different menu
My choice for cakes are Rock Cake, Lardy Cake , and sometimes a vanilla split or fresh cream doughnut
Mick

Greyduster Mon 29-Oct-18 07:25:02

Betty’s curd tart, Fat Rascals and a pot of Earl Grey! Lovely.

Tea and cake Mon 29-Oct-18 06:46:14

Tea and cake, of course! Plain cakes, nothing with nuts in. Chocolate cake high on the list...

seacliff Mon 29-Oct-18 05:28:31

Last weekend when visiting family, I had home made earl grey fruit loaf with a slice of Wensleydale, delicious.

BBbevan Sun 28-Oct-18 21:08:38

Finger sandwiches. Egg and cress, and cucumber. Small, warm sausage rolls. Then fruit cake, a fruit tart and a scone with jam and cream. Plus lots of tea. Of course this is all fantasy. I eat low carb so can't have any of it. But I like to see others enjoy a good tea.

Grannybags Sun 28-Oct-18 21:06:05

Curd Tart in Bettys in Northallerton for me please! (I live near Bristol so it's a bit of a long drive though...!)

mumofmadboys Sun 28-Oct-18 20:53:42

One of North's treasures!!

TerriBull Sun 28-Oct-18 18:58:05

National Trust, especially the larger places, have nice cakes and scones. The best afternoon tea experience I ever had was a few years ago when we went to The Savoy, a birthday treat, we had the works, finger sandwiches, scones with jam and cream, endless tea and a glass of champagne. I think we went on to the theatre afterwards feeling totally bloated from an overload of carbs. I also love Bettys of Harrogate, I wish we had a Bettys down here in the south.

mcem Sun 28-Oct-18 18:34:29

Last Sunday we were out for an old-fashioned High Tea!
Main courses were traditional - steak pie, chicken, salmon etc.
Then it was tea, scones with jam and cream plus beautiful cakes.
Served from 3 until 8 every Sunday.
Highlight of the meal was the announcement that DS and DiL will present us with their first baby in April.
So that's why he organised a family meal out!!

glammanana Sun 28-Oct-18 18:30:54

Mine has got to be lemon drizzle everytime followed closely by a fruit scone smothered in strawberry jam and a strong brew served in a china cup.
After reading this thread I am checking my store cupboard to make sure I have everything in to do some cake baking tomorrow.

grannysyb Sun 28-Oct-18 18:14:03

Kitty, we have a cafe at our allotment every Sunday morning run by volunteers and today we offered 3 cakes a bakewell tart, peach pistachio and polenta cake and a jam and oat crumble slice, the last two were gluten free. We love a full blown afternoon tea with little sandwiches, scones and cakes. DH eats the egg ones and I eat the cucumber, but we both love the smoked salmon. We also like a glass of bubbles with our tea.

jeanie99 Sun 28-Oct-18 15:57:16

Filter coffee black no sugar
with Chocolate Cake and Alpro simply plain Yogurt

Delicious.

BBbevan Sat 11-Aug-18 05:34:45

Absolutely love afternoon tea, but I can't have it as the carb content is much to high., I might have just a plain scone but that is not quite the same is it ?

Shirleyw Sat 11-Aug-18 04:50:23

I love a good slice of lemon drizzle ?

12Michael Wed 04-Jul-18 07:57:14

I have two favourite haunts when it comes to cafes
1: Blackhams in meadow walk Buckingham coffee £1.80p for a standard with cold milk , they also have a display of cakes , flapjacks etc tempting .
2: Nash's Bakery in Bicester café at back of shop , coffee £1.40p also tempting cakes , plus you also have stamp card with 9th free
With your receipt you can get a discount on cakes ,and bread at the shop counter.
Mick

Juggernaut Mon 02-Jul-18 14:54:07

Ugh, I hate smoked salmon! Hot smoked is lovely, but cold smoked........nope!
So, sandwiches, very thin white bread, crab; cucumber; cheese with onion pickle.
Cakes are to be Manchester tart, carrot cake, rich fruit cake with Cheshire cheese, and a bit of my home made Bara Brith, served with salty Welsh butter of course!
I'll be drinking Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee too please!

farview Mon 02-Jul-18 13:52:44

Hmmm Manchester tart,a pot of Earl grey, a table with a view,(outdoors) peace&quiet...lovely!

Bathsheba Thu 28-Jun-18 11:52:24

A pot of Assam tea for me please, and a strawberry tart - one of those with lots of confectioner's custard in the base and glazed strawberries on top.

And a big round fresh cream eclair with coffee icing on top (called an elephant's foot in my neck of the woods.

Oh and I think I'll round it all off with a custard slice.

Nothing else, just that, because I'm on a diet too wink

Thanks Mick, same time again tomorrow?

Mapleleaf Thu 28-Jun-18 11:38:14

Afternoon tea for me would be a selection of daintily cut sandwiches (smoked salmon & cucumber, egg & cress, ham) followed by a selection of mini cakes plus scones with jam & clotted cream.
All washed down with a pot of Darjeeling tea, and if being extra indulgent, a glass of bubbles with a strawberry! ?
Ooh, I'm drooling now!

NfkDumpling Thu 28-Jun-18 06:29:00

Oh, Harrigran, I’m with you. That sounds perfect! (Maybe some cream cheese with the sandwiches)

harrigran Thu 28-Jun-18 06:24:27

Afternoon tea for me would be smoked salmon and cucumber sandwiches followed by a custard slice or a strawberry tart and a pot of tea.

Cherrytree59 Wed 27-Jun-18 21:36:10

jamila virtual is good ?
I am also on a diet
but if the offer is there...blush
mmm Cherry and almond cake

hildajenniJ Wed 27-Jun-18 21:21:12

Panache, I make a legendary pavlova. I'm always requested to make one for any family celebration. I make my late MiL's recipe, with fresh cream and any fruit you like. My personal favourite it mixed fresh berries.

annsixty Wed 27-Jun-18 21:14:45

I think we are discussing apples and pears here.
I was on a full blown afternoon tea with cucumber sandwiches , possibly smoked salmon, followed by scones then cake.
The sort that costs £25.
For tea and cake give me lemon drizzle any time.

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Jun-18 20:38:52

or?

This is virtual Cherrytree!

I think I'll add a piece of cherry and almond cake to my order please.

Cherrytree59 Wed 27-Jun-18 20:32:27

Strong coffee (filter or Americano)
With coffee cake or ....

Ginger and lemon tea with lemon drizzle cake or ginger cake

In winter hot chocolate with chocolate cake

I like to double up on my flavourssmile