Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Afternoon Tea and Cake or Scones

(43 Posts)
12Michael Wed 27-Jun-18 14:57:30

Or if you prefer a coffee alternative.
Favourite Cakes
I like depending on where I am , mind you some of cafes like Bettys have a slightly different menu
My choice for cakes are Rock Cake, Lardy Cake , and sometimes a vanilla split or fresh cream doughnut
Mick

annsixty Wed 27-Jun-18 15:02:19

I like scones AND cake when I am
having a proper afternoon tea.
When it comes to Betty's, it has to be a fat rascal, when I would forgo the scone.
Proper leaf tea with a strainer on a silver stand.

kittylester Wed 27-Jun-18 15:05:46

Anything gluten free that isn't a brownie - gf is always a brownie!

Agree about the tea Ann.

ninathenana Wed 27-Jun-18 15:07:33

You can't beat a real Cornish cream tea in my opinion.

Failing that, a custard tart or custard slice.
I've never managed to actually go in a Betty's Mick. Whenever I 've been near one people have been queuing out the door and along the street sad

12Michael Wed 27-Jun-18 15:14:55

Have managed Harrogate and Otley in the past, like you say queuing is a problem , but Harrogate does offer similar places if you look.
Mick

Teetime Wed 27-Jun-18 15:31:01

Carrot Cake is my favourite but I had a very nice courgette one at Peterborough Cathedral the other day- really craving a very gooey chocolate one at the moment. I took a piece of chocolate cake at an event last weekend but it was very dry so I left it. Waste of calories

kittylester Wed 27-Jun-18 15:50:38

We Ince stopped at somewhere that did gf custard tarts, nina, which are my favourite. I had 2 in case I never saw one again. I haven't!sad

kittylester Wed 27-Jun-18 16:39:37

We once stopped! I corrected that before I posted!!!!!

Auntieflo Wed 27-Jun-18 17:07:45

At the moment, my favourite is those little Portuguese custard tarts, with a good pot of tea. One is not enough, and two would be piggy.

Eglantine21 Wed 27-Jun-18 17:12:40

Pastel de Nata, Auntiflo. My favourite too.

hildajenniJ Wed 27-Jun-18 17:27:00

You can't go past a Yorkshire curd tart, delicious. I'm not big on sponge cake or doughnuts but I do enjoy a good fruit scone with butter and jam, I'm not bothered about the cream.

cornergran Wed 27-Jun-18 17:31:12

Scone, jam and cream, as long as the gf scone doesn’t break a toe if dropped. Otherwise gf carrot cake and I love a brownie. Proper tea with tea leaves and a china cup. Lovely.

Panache Wed 27-Jun-18 17:49:17

Nice strong coffee for me please and a freshly baked scone with lots of jam and fresh cream..............(and a few indigestion tablets on the side!!!)

Whilst if making any pavlova at all, I hope you put a large placard outside.......... for I am VERY partial to some!
I would positively hate missing out.

sodapop Wed 27-Jun-18 17:51:24

I love Yorkshire curd tarts as well hilda no cream for me either, scone & jam with carrot or ginger cake - yummy.

Pittcity Wed 27-Jun-18 19:26:44

Coffee and walnut is my favourite. Wouldn't say no to anything chocolate or a proper cream tea.

Greyduster Wed 27-Jun-18 19:43:40

I’m with HildajenniJ. Yorkshire curd tart is truly delicious! I also have a weakness, though, for Portuguese custard tarts. They do lovely ones at Browns cafe in Oxford market. Or fruit cake with Wensleydale cheese, and a cup of Earl Grey.

winterwhite Wed 27-Jun-18 19:45:31

Coffee and walnut for me too. Or when appropriate parkin

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Jun-18 20:18:17

Coffee and walnut, Victoria sponge with home-made raspberry jam (no buttercream, thank you), plain scones with home-made strawberry jam and clotted cream and a custard tart (Portuguese ones sound lovely).
Followed by a chocolate éclair

A pot of tea - no sugar and semi-skimmed milk please, as I am on a diet.

My mum used to make a lovely parkin, haven't had any for years, could I take a piece home please?

Thank you Michael, very enjoyable.

Cherrytree59 Wed 27-Jun-18 20:32:27

Strong coffee (filter or Americano)
With coffee cake or ....

Ginger and lemon tea with lemon drizzle cake or ginger cake

In winter hot chocolate with chocolate cake

I like to double up on my flavourssmile

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Jun-18 20:38:52

or?

This is virtual Cherrytree!

I think I'll add a piece of cherry and almond cake to my order please.

annsixty Wed 27-Jun-18 21:14:45

I think we are discussing apples and pears here.
I was on a full blown afternoon tea with cucumber sandwiches , possibly smoked salmon, followed by scones then cake.
The sort that costs £25.
For tea and cake give me lemon drizzle any time.

hildajenniJ Wed 27-Jun-18 21:21:12

Panache, I make a legendary pavlova. I'm always requested to make one for any family celebration. I make my late MiL's recipe, with fresh cream and any fruit you like. My personal favourite it mixed fresh berries.

Cherrytree59 Wed 27-Jun-18 21:36:10

jamila virtual is good ?
I am also on a diet
but if the offer is there...blush
mmm Cherry and almond cake

harrigran Thu 28-Jun-18 06:24:27

Afternoon tea for me would be smoked salmon and cucumber sandwiches followed by a custard slice or a strawberry tart and a pot of tea.

NfkDumpling Thu 28-Jun-18 06:29:00

Oh, Harrigran, I’m with you. That sounds perfect! (Maybe some cream cheese with the sandwiches)