Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

New to Gransnet?

(805 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 13-Sep-18 10:53:26

Any new joiners? smile If you've recently signed up to Gransnet or have been around a while but haven't got round to posting anything yet, please pop over to Welcome to Gransnet to introduce yourself and have a virtual cup of cafe or wine.

Charleygirl Sun 16-Sep-18 14:16:26

ann you took the words out of my mouth- I am happy joining the other wooly minded boring folk at soop's kitchen. I know my place.

NanKate Sun 16-Sep-18 14:24:31

I’m not sure if you are reprimanding me Hillwalker for having an occasional drink or whether you too enjoy maybe a glass of Merlot with your supper. Whatever cheers.

oldbatty Sun 16-Sep-18 14:30:26

I don't live alone. Sometimes I'm interested in clothes, sometimes I'm not. I'm not fluffy but I like Sauvignon.

Mamissimo Sun 16-Sep-18 14:37:00

I’ve been here a few months and have stuck my my toe in a few times. Ive still got all my toes so I’ll keep on starting threads and I’ll see how I go.

I have lead a great life, both professionally and with my family and I have a robust sense of who I am and what’s right for me me, mine and the rest of the world...but I’m ☺️

Mamissimo Sun 16-Sep-18 14:39:45

Should have made it more clear...I’ve been in broadcasting, I’m published, I’m a bit of a mover and shaker and some of you might guess....but I’m 63, retired, a gran....and I miss all the wonderous variety of women I worked with. Love GN.

Marydoll Sun 16-Sep-18 15:15:08

Welcome properly, Massimo, no need to lurk in the shadows any longer!
You are the same age as me, so immediately we have something in common.?
You sound lively and interesting. Looking forward to your posts.

Katek Sun 16-Sep-18 15:46:27

Er........fluffy women hillwalker.........have you been on the politics threads?

Calm and peace aplenty in the kitchen but you don’t like that either.

Can I suggest you perhaps start your own thread and see if any of us rural dwellers come out of the woodwork? My entire family love the hills and my son/dil have over 200 Munros under their belts. They’re just back from Stac Pollaidh yesterday. We have walked the Lairig Ghru as a family and my brother and family have ascended K2 and Kilimanjaro amongst others. His boys all reached the top of Snowdon by the time they were 5. My two small grandsons aged 3 and 5 have just walked their first hill in the Cairngorms. I follow all their exploits with interest.

Don’t rush to judgment too quickly....you might completely miss what it is you really want

Marydoll Sun 16-Sep-18 15:58:02

Well hillwalker, you are certainly trying hard to make new friends. There is no need to be so dismissive and judgemental.
GN is a lifeline for many people, why spoil it with your comments?

midgey Sun 16-Sep-18 16:40:54

Never thought of myself as fluffy headed grin

kittylester Sun 16-Sep-18 16:44:40

Ooohhh, I must be fluffy headed as I love soop's kitchen.

Marydoll Sun 16-Sep-18 16:46:12

Yes, and we all love Soop. She is one of the kindest people, I have ever met.

NanKate Sun 16-Sep-18 17:19:08

Three cheers for Soop and hope she gets better soon.

Riverwalk Sun 16-Sep-18 18:02:28

too many fluffy women, not enough substance

waste of a Forum that could be of use to people who live alone but have interests outside of clothes and cooking

I am looking for a women only, rural matters

Oh, don't be so snooty Hillwalker - plenty of rural women on here, and suburbanites, and city gals like me!

You've been kicking around GN for a while now, if it's of no interest why are you here on a sunny Sunday afternoon?

Maybe you should start a few intellectually-stimulating threads to get us going - I'm urban but listen to the Farming Today programme every morning and am interested in rural matters. smile

ChaosIncorporated Sun 16-Sep-18 18:42:31

Sadly my woolly head is wholly taken up with deciding which pair of mud-encrusted wellies to wear in the fields today. Cows are really quite fashion cconscious, you know.

janeainsworth Sun 16-Sep-18 21:33:32

Oldbatty my mum and grandma were both born in Salford.
They lived on Sussex St but although the street is still there, it’s quite different now.

Hillwalker I’ve noticed you on one or two threads, but why don’t you contribute more if you think GN needs livening up?
I’m not sure why Buckinghamshire should provoke your derision, particularly.
My impression is that most parts of the country are represented on GN, and I can think of several members who live outside the UK.

kittylester Mon 17-Sep-18 10:50:09

They drink an awful lot in Bucks, Jane!!

NanKate Mon 17-Sep-18 12:42:30

I can confirm that ????and that’s just for breakfast!

janeainsworth Mon 17-Sep-18 15:47:19

Bottoms up, kitty and kate grin
It’s only 9.46 here in Illinois but MrA has already driven me to thoughts of drink!shockgrin

DillyLavender Mon 17-Sep-18 16:58:36

Good afternoon all. Having lurked in the shadows for a while now, I thought it time to pop my head out and say Hello.

From reading several forums I have garnered valuable advice, had lots of laughs, some sad and thoughtful moments too, but most of all I have found a comfy place to be online. My thanks to all GNs, I look forward to getting to know you all.

NanKate Mon 17-Sep-18 17:26:31

You’re very welcome Dilly.

After a while you will settle in, find the threads you enjoy, have a great laugh, sort out medical problems, maybe steer clear of political ones as that can become a bear pit. I have made some genuine friends on GN and call in most days, several times, if not more.

Hunny Mon 17-Sep-18 18:00:52

Hello i have just joined granset this past month i have had 2 new great grandchildren born a boy and a girl making 5 in all of the next generation hope to share lifes experiences on here

Charleygirl Mon 17-Sep-18 18:02:44

Welcome Dilly and Hunny*

Hunny Mon 17-Sep-18 18:12:18

Hello i am new to granset i live in a semi rural village in essex in a retirement complex due to my husbands Parkinson's but we are by no means over the hill yet still like rock music walking our dogs and keeping our minds open to new ideas .Hope i am going to like this site and find some interesting people on here to share topics etc .

tassiegran Tue 18-Sep-18 02:06:42

Joined a while ago, mostly just read the posts, do think that some of the forums could be abolished/merged as some of them hardly ever have a new post. Mostly enjoy others posts, there seem to be a few people who do comment on nearly every post, this may give an impression that the site is somewhat cliquey and sometimes a poor poster really gets a blasting. This makes newbies a bit reluctant to start a new post. Do enjoy catching up each day though. I am Australian so some things are not relevant to me - eg some of the political posts, but don't have to read them, also hate the games!

sharon59 Tue 18-Sep-18 11:03:18

Hello all, I decided to give gransnet a try last week as I was feeling lonely being new to Belper and didn't know anyone except family. I put a message on meet and greet, but unfortunately got no replies. I tried again with an ankle boot dilemma and was so pleased with the ideas and comments that came forward. I have never been involved with anything like this (facebook etc feel a bit scary) but just to know there is someone to talk to has really given me a lift. So thank you.