Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

New to Gransnet?

(805 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 13-Sep-18 10:53:26

Any new joiners? smile If you've recently signed up to Gransnet or have been around a while but haven't got round to posting anything yet, please pop over to Welcome to Gransnet to introduce yourself and have a virtual cup of cafe or wine.

Penelope33 Thu 10-Oct-19 09:02:57

Ha! Lovely! Xx

Harris27 Sat 12-Oct-19 20:12:53

I love gransnet and find the good morning thread helps me wake up and get up! I’ve been through some rough times and read some of the things yous are going through and it makes me humble.

Charleygirl5 Sat 12-Oct-19 21:13:02

Welcome Harris- I agree, some people have been through some awful times. I hope that your life has improved now.

boodymum67 Mon 14-Oct-19 12:57:13

Hi, I`ve been reading lots of stuff here and have decided to join in! Not sure if I`m doing this right! I`m not very techy minded, so be gentle with me please!

I`m a gran to 4 smashing kids...not so kiddy now though, eldest will be 21 soon! Youngest is 10, but she`s going on 20 in her own way!

Hello to all. xxx

Charleygirl5 Mon 14-Oct-19 13:19:40

Welcome- you can obviously find your way around-enjoy!

Lizbethann55 Mon 14-Oct-19 20:41:48

I live in Salford too! Great city. Shame about the rugby on Saturday!

KT19 Mon 21-Oct-19 08:38:48

Hi everyone. I joined yesterday and spent a lot of time poring over the discussion threads. I'm in the US Midwest. I'm a new grandmother; my daughter and grandson both live with me (I posted about this in the Grandparenting thread so I won't repeat myself here).

I visited London and Stratford many years ago (it was one of the years John McEnroe played in a Wimbledon final). I don't travel abroad much anymore but have been enjoying a number of exported TV series -- Spooks (they changed the title to "MI-5" here), The Great British Baking Show, Doctor Who, Sherlock, the original version of The Office, North and South, as well as some great documentaries and archaeology shows.

I have been following your news and politics with interest, as we are facing many similar issues here.

Charleygirl5 Mon 21-Oct-19 09:31:19

Welcome, there are others who are members of GN who also live in the US but I do not have a clue where. I hope you enjoy the different threads. You may find that people are very helpful.

Shelmiss Tue 22-Oct-19 11:37:59

Hello all I just joined this morning ?

I live in Manchester and have found myself with a lot of free time after just finishing a degree course in my late 50s.

So I just wanted to say hello and I’m looking forward to reading through the threads and getting stuck in ?

Charleygirl5 Tue 22-Oct-19 11:58:45

Welcome, you need a rest now after all of that hard work. I hope it was worth it!

ExperiencedNotOld Tue 22-Oct-19 19:58:50

I’ve joined today hoping to draw on other people’s experience regarding partial retirement. I’m a civil servant (definitely not as boring as people think, not in my line of business), an SME in my field and judged by my peers to still be very relevant. I do enjoy what I do, enjoy the freedom of having a good disposable income (I had kids at 35 and 37 so have not long cast of the shackles) - but I’m tired. I get bored easily and am scared of not being part of a team and not being challenged. At 61 I am happily married to a 58 yr old. All input welcomed!

Charleygirl5 Tue 22-Oct-19 22:09:02

Welcome. You will have to open another thread re partial retirement experiences because in theory this is really just to welcome new folk on board. Not everybody looks at this particular thread.

ExperiencedNotOld Tue 22-Oct-19 22:23:20

And how would someone new do that? Signpost to instructions please.

MissAdventure Tue 22-Oct-19 23:59:33

Hello ExperiencedNotOld.

If you look at the top of the page, it says 'forums'.
Click on that, and a list will come up of different forums (chat, health, bereavement, etc)

There is one for work related issues, but also the 'chat' one would be fine too.

Click on whichever forum you decide to use, and you should get options showing up, one of which is 'start new discussion' or something like that.

Hope that helps (a bit!) Give it a go and see what happens. smile

ExperiencedNotOld Thu 24-Oct-19 18:37:19

Thank you, MissAdventure. A much more pleasant welcome.

Julesw Thu 24-Oct-19 20:28:02

Good evening all.

I am new to gransnet so it is a lovely thought to pop into this area for a cuppa.

The support I have received with my problem, has really helped.

Thank you everyone.

Ellbell Mon 28-Oct-19 17:31:29

I heard about you from a question on The Chaser.
Glad to be here.

blueflinders Mon 28-Oct-19 18:08:19

Snap Ellbell! I’ve heard of mumsnet but now qualify for nansnet! Having a mooch around atm!

MawB Mon 28-Oct-19 18:18:32

Blimey!
Poor Charleygirl a welcoming hand bitten off!

cornergran Mon 28-Oct-19 23:37:31

Agree maw, bit OTT.

Charleygirl5 Tue 29-Oct-19 08:53:07

Thank you MawB and cornergran- I am bowing out from the welcoming committee if I am not up to scratch. I thought the comment was downright rude.

MawB Wed 30-Oct-19 23:01:15

Too me somewhat aback! shock

grannyqueenie Thu 31-Oct-19 12:33:31

Charleygirl, you’ve been more than “up to scratch “ you’ve done sterling work in welcoming so many, thank you.

15milverton Fri 01-Nov-19 22:01:04

Hi all. New to gransnet retirement and colchester. Struggling to know what to do . Is there a retirement group that meets in colchester. X

Grammaretto Sat 02-Nov-19 18:30:48

I agree! 3 cheers for Charleygirl. Please don't give up.