Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Downsizing at work

(4 Posts)
AGrandmaAgain Tue 09-Oct-18 21:20:22

Thank you M0nica and DIL17, I will go to CAB for advice and find out what I can ask and how to go about it.
Because it was churning round and round it grew and grew....you know how it goes.
As for the GP, lose weight and exercise more is the panacea for all ills.
10 and 12 hour shifts are the norm in the health/care industry. That's also why you rarely see old nurses on hospital wards!

M0nica Tue 09-Oct-18 15:30:51

Go and speak to the CAB (Citizen's Advice). They will be able to give you advice on every aspect of this problem.

There are Health and Safety rules about shift length and work that is causing you health problems, I am pretty sure you have more rights and your employer has more obligations in your situation than either of you realise.

DIL17 Tue 09-Oct-18 10:21:39

Firstly, have you asked you doctor to look over what is hurting? It will help you when you go to your boss to say that the doctor has seen the strain on your body.

Also, do some research into what you can ask and your rights as am employee. It may also be worth looking back over your contract incase it states anything about physical strain and the job.

AGrandmaAgain Tue 09-Oct-18 10:13:10

Anyone got any tips to pass on about asking ruthless employer about changing from 10 hour shifts to something less physically exacting? I've been with company for 6 years supporting people with physical and learning difficulties live in their own home. We tend to work in teams and the person I support likes to have the same person for the whole of his day. The work is quite physical despite all mechanical aids and I'm afraid my joints are screaming abuse at me. I still need to work the same hours (30) can't afford to do otherwise and at 63 would prefer not to put myself through the mill of cv update, job search, interview horrors and new person status and all that they entail.
Have noticed employer seems to enjoy picking, poking and prodding at people when they have given notice and makes their last few weeks really difficult/downright unpleasant and would like to avoid this on a permanent basis. Any helpful comments or advice would be much appreciated.