Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

50th birthday present

(14 Posts)
Kiwibird Mon 28-Jan-19 21:03:50

Thank you for all of the suggestions. Apologies for not saying thanks earlier. There'll be something there to grab my imagination.

jeanie99 Mon 14-Jan-19 10:16:48

I always ask for a present list for birthdays and Christmas and choose from that. Buy a small present from the list and the rest is money.
The thought of paying good money out for something a person does not want is a waste.
We all do the same in our family and it works a treat.
My MIL who is now dead didn't like this idea and most of her presents went straight to the charity shop.
She loved a bargain but my worst present I received was a pr of shoes which didn't fit.

Twin2 Sun 06-Jan-19 22:47:39

In Aus I know they love going out for breakfast. I got in touch with several cafes and paid up front for breakfast for 2 and then sent my Bil vouchers to use.

BlueBelle Sun 06-Jan-19 18:59:22

I haven’t done anything different either for my own or my children’s numbered birthday I don’t think any number is different to any other... obviously just me

notanan2 Sun 06-Jan-19 18:49:41

Is there a gig or a sport event that he and his DD would enjoy?

notanan2 Sun 06-Jan-19 18:47:33

Maybe fund a mini break for him and his DD somewhere near them?

Single parents often miss having that person who helps get their gifts from the children.

I have to say that I personally cannot stand not on the high street type trinkets and "on the day you were born" type prints. And because they're personalised its a waste because no-one else can use them.

notanan2 Sun 06-Jan-19 18:43:04

Since there is no other parent, IMO it would be a great "gift" if you teamed up with the teen daughter and helped her get something for him like the other parent usually would?

She could pick and you could finance and it could be from both?

NotAGran55 Sun 06-Jan-19 18:14:22

A visit from you ?

M0nica Sun 06-Jan-19 18:09:32

Look up Australian websites and find things there, they can then be dispatched to your son more easily and cheaply than posting. from the UK

Google Amazon Australia, they should have plenty of things you could choose from.

PECS Sun 06-Jan-19 08:30:07

giftitnow.com.au may have something suitable.
Or maybe some money for a special photoshoot for him and daughter together?

absent Sun 06-Jan-19 03:14:28

A bit on the lines of pensionpat's suggestion – but less demanding. Obtain a facsimile of the front page of a national or local newspaper for his date of birth and put it in a lightweight frame (reducing the postage). Check which looks the most interesting and choose that one. I did this for my father-in-law's ninetieth birthday and scored a bonus because the local paper that he had read and continued to read all his adult life also included the spectacular national news of the arrest of Dr Crippen.

pensionpat Sun 06-Jan-19 02:26:20

For several members of my immediate family I have made a scrapbook containing the story of their life. I included mostly photos, either in chronological order, or in themes e.g. I titled a page Home Sweet Home and put photos of every home they had had. For my sister this entailed driving to the former homes and taking photos. I also included the bracelet that they wore in hospital with their birth details, certificates of achievement. When partners and then children came on the scene they were included. For one I titled each page with a song title that was relevant. I included lots of quotations e.g. Reader, I married him. The best part about those of my sons was that I relived those years, and they were both overcome when given them. In your case you will have time and postage restraints, but the result is a very personal gift, made with love, and something money can’t buy.

SueDonim Sun 06-Jan-19 02:19:45

Have you looked at notonthehighstreet? They do many personalised gifts, although I'm not sure if you're in the U.K.

www.notonthehighstreet.com/gifts/shop-by-occasion/birthdays/50th-birthday-gifts

Kiwibird Sun 06-Jan-19 02:10:50

Good afternoon Gransnet people. My question is, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could send as a present to my son (in Australia) for his 50th birthday? What have you given yours for their 50th? Mine doesn't have any particularly special hobbies or interests but is a hard-working dad, currently being mum and dad to his 17yr old daughter which isn't easy. My thinking and imagination has come to a full-stop and there isn't much time left. Oh by the way I have googled '50th presents for men' without much luck. Thank you in advance......