Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Pet Peeves

(102 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 12-Aug-19 09:06:51

Welcome all budding Victor Meldrews! What annoys you most?

I have many, many annoyances. One is noise! I love my peace and quiet and solitude. Really annoys me when in my rare moments of peace, it's destroyed by irritatingly loud interlopers.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 02-Sep-19 16:16:27

Tillybelle, at least you've tried to stop your dogs barking at passers-by! Thank you for that!!

Wheniwasyourage Mon 02-Sep-19 16:15:16

People who don't send a thank you note (or even email) to acknowledge a wedding present cheque. We have sent 4 over the past few years to family or friends, and the first 2 couples finally sent cards with wedding photographs with nice notes inside. However, I really would prefer to know at least that the cheques have been received a bit sooner than several months after the weddings!

This year we sent 2 cheques off in June. One has been cashed so far, but no word from either couple. angry

Perhaps in future I'll just send a donation to a charity and tell the couple about it...

sodapop Thu 29-Aug-19 12:40:40

Nanna58 I loved your dog story, he certainly has you well trained grin

My husband often doesn't listen either narrowboatnan I can always tell by the glazed expression 'she's off again ' .

Ngaio1 Thu 29-Aug-19 10:29:44

People who don't teach their dogs to walk to heel, same people who use unnecessary and dangerous extended dog leads. Those who say invite and not invitation. Drivers who don't acknowledge me when I pull in for them to pass. Using the word "Overly".

MawB Thu 29-Aug-19 10:19:58

Time to revisit this thread.
People who are trying to appear clever whether in books (or GN posts) by using another language * and getting it wrong.

Thinking of Guten morgan die damen on the Good Morning thread ??? and Que sera sera many many times.
Grrrr.

GagaJo Wed 14-Aug-19 23:01:00

Hahahaha, narrowboatnan! I do this with my bloke.

I get half way thru what I'm saying and snap, "Are you listening?" At which point he repeats it to prove his is (he isn't really).

He's getting worse, the older he gets.

GagaJo Wed 14-Aug-19 22:58:01

Loud boys. Yes, yes, I know I adore my grandson and he's a very noisy little devil. Banging, shouting, DEMANDING even though he isn't talking yet.

But WHY do boys have to make accompanying noise whatever they do? Going up the stairs? Boom, boom, boom, oral accompaniment. Riding a bike? Wheeeeee, yelling.

So annoying.

narrowboatnan Wed 14-Aug-19 12:30:37

Just thought of another one - my DH who doesn't listen to what I say! I am told that the best person to tell your secrets to is your DH, because he doesn't listen anyway. In my DH's case this is true and I have lost count of the number of times I have told him things and then been accused of not telling him! So, I have decided that every time I speak to him, I will start by saying his name good and loud to get his attention. This has had rather a pleasing result - he is watching TV or has his nose in the screen on his lap top and I say "JIM!" before speaking to him. He jumps a flipping mile in his chair! Hahahahahahaha! He is so carried away by what he is looking at that he is completely oblivious to the rest of the world - including me! Picture it, if you will, I wanted to tell him that the boat batteries were nearly finished charging up, so I said "JIM!" his head shot up and his eyes popped wide open - it's priceless! That'll teach him! I'm going to enjoy this new way of gaining his attention.

narrowboatnan Wed 14-Aug-19 12:27:21

People who reserve train seats and then don't turn up to claim them! You end up with a carriage full of empty, ticketed seats and passengers having to stand. I have learned now to read the tickets and if I find one that is reserved from the station that I got on at, as soon as the doors close and the whistle blows I sit in it! But it does drive me bonkers.

Another one is parents who are so glued to their phone screens that they totally ignore their small children. Had lunch in a Weatherspoons pub and, at the adjacent table, was mum, dad (both glued to their phone screens) and a little girl aged about three or four who was doing some colouring. She kept trying to show her parents what she had done but they just ignored her! Poor kid, there was no encouragement from them at all. Maybe I should have shoved my table across the gap and done some colouring in with her?

melp1 Tue 13-Aug-19 23:03:24

Mothers with lots of young children, swearing at them and having no patience with them at all .

phoenix Tue 13-Aug-19 20:11:28

Loads that have already been mentioned, but may I add motorists who don't indicate in supermarket car parks when there is no other car nearby, pedestrians would quite like to know your intentions too!

Tillybelle Tue 13-Aug-19 19:19:10

Wheniwasyourage. Sorry. Mine do this. They are rescued and have bad experiences in their backgrounds and being possessive of our small front drive is something I haven't been able to stop them being vociferous about. I usually keep them at the back of the house. But when the builder was here they had to stay in the front room. A very sweet Japanese man was enthralled by them and was taking photographs of them at the window!

philly Tue 13-Aug-19 15:44:02

People not saying thank you for gifts received.
Men being interviewed on television who sit on the couch with their legs wide open.
And ,the usual, people ruining my meal when eating out ,by spending the whole time fiddling with their mobile phones.
AND parents who have no control over their children in a restaurant, ruining the evening for everyone else. You would not see this abroad.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 13-Aug-19 14:02:15

Dogs which haven't been trained not to bark when people pass by their house (or car) on a public pavement.

Tillybelle Tue 13-Aug-19 13:49:10

Shropshirelass

Re Husband's gum, "He has to as he is on medication". If I don't suck or chew something I actually get sick because of the dryness. It isn't just dry, with my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth, it's a terrible bitter taste in my mouth too that completely takes away my appetite, makes me gag and simply utterly pulls me down. If I sip water, several seconds later I am as dry as before. I do sympathise with you about hating to see someone chewing but maybe just knowing why he needs to might help to overcome the distaste you automatically feel when you see him doing it. Good luck!

Tillybelle Tue 13-Aug-19 13:38:46

Rufus2. Oh dear!

Well it's too late now. The awful truth is out! I stand among the peevers, Victoria Meldews, et al

Another pet peeve:
Hitting the Caps lock, not realising (i can't touch type) bashing out my amazingly brilliant boring stuff only to look up and see it is all glaring at me in capital letters.

Rufus2 Tue 13-Aug-19 13:31:35

I don't think anybody, male or female, thinks that having peeves is a male trait!
Tilly; I agree! Based on the evidence presented here I would say it's entirely a female trait; there are no male peeves on Gransnet! grin

Tillybelle Tue 13-Aug-19 11:06:23

pet peeve no million and 5:
spell checker changing my words without me noticing

Tillybelle Tue 13-Aug-19 11:05:27

Oh dear another typo/spelling corrector I missed! VictoR M. not "Victory"! Sorry!

Tillybelle Tue 13-Aug-19 11:03:23

Rufus2. Sorry Rufus. I don't think anybody, male or female, thinks that having peeves is a male trait! Indeed I would be peeved if it were regarded as belonging to the men, being a female myself who likes to get a peeve off my ample chest from time to time! I am sure GagaJo wasn't suggesting that Victory Meldrew had the monopoly or that because he was male it was a man's domain. I think the character simply epitomised a very lovable irascible rogue whom we all secretly envied because he expressed his views while we buttoned them up in the name of politeness!

Here's to all of us budding Victors and Victorias of the Meldrew ilk! ? and ?for me as I don't drink alcohol!

Rufus2 Tue 13-Aug-19 09:31:00

Welcome all budding Victor Meldrews! What annoys you most?
Oh Dear! Here we go again. Taking the name of men in vain.!
Most respondents could be clones of Mrs. Richards; ( I"ll take the role of Basil.) grin

olliebeak Tue 13-Aug-19 08:57:15

ooooh please - don't get me started .................

People - mostly men - who spit in the street or footballers who spit while playing angry

Litter Louts - especially cigarette ends!

Music blasting out of car windows when they pull up at traffic lights - OK, we know that you've got a powerful set of speakers!

Young mum who play on their mobile phones on the bus, while ignoring their very young children in their buggies - TALK to your children.

Parents who ignore their children's bad behaviour while in supermarkets.

Witchypoo Tue 13-Aug-19 08:28:23

I use a mobility scooter. Builders at about six houses in road to shops. Most park on pavement which means i have to go out onto road or carefully squeeze past on pavement. Going against the flow of traffic is scary. Sometimes a workman will come and help. Another peeve is people walking in middle of pavement looking at phone. They cant hear me coming, dont respond to my little beep beep hooter so if i am following i have to keep shouting "excuse me", if they are approaching me i just stop nearest the road and hope they dont crash into me

Shropshirelass Tue 13-Aug-19 07:47:29

I was replying to Teetime but it hasn't shown in my thread.

Shropshirelass Tue 13-Aug-19 07:45:48

I agree with you. My husband chews gum! He has to as he is on medication that causes a very dry mouth and he has been told to chew gum but I absolutely hate it, it irritates me immensely! The red mist comes up!!!