Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Pet Peeves

(101 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 12-Aug-19 09:06:51

Welcome all budding Victor Meldrews! What annoys you most?

I have many, many annoyances. One is noise! I love my peace and quiet and solitude. Really annoys me when in my rare moments of peace, it's destroyed by irritatingly loud interlopers.

Pantglas1 Mon 12-Aug-19 09:08:08

Litter - if you take/buy it out, take it home.

Teetime Mon 12-Aug-19 09:29:13

Chewing gum. The smell is vile, the sight of people chewing it is nauseating and the mess it leaves everywhere is just horrible- BAN IT NOW!

DiscoGran Mon 12-Aug-19 09:34:36

Those who bag their dogs doings, then leave them on the verge/in the hedge/ hanging off a tree. What.is.the.point? Grrrrr!

tanith Mon 12-Aug-19 10:03:45

Parents who despite living locally insist on causing huge and dangerous traffic problems trying to drop their children at the school gate, they just pull up open the doors and out pop the children not even bothering to park in a lot of cases it’s a small cul-de-sac at one entrance so you can only imagine the chaos and angry exchanges.

Children of all ages just dropped in the road and then hopping between parked cars to get to the entrance. The school even put up pictures of children from the school lying in the road as a deterrent but someone tore them down, disgusting behaviour.

glammanana Mon 12-Aug-19 10:10:31

People glued to their phones whilst walking along the Road.

Squiffy Mon 12-Aug-19 10:30:48

Parents glued to their phones whilst crossing the road with young children, whom they're ignoring. shock

RosieLeah Mon 12-Aug-19 10:34:48

I live in an upstairs flat and the people downstairs keep leaving the fire-door open. I have just closed it for the umpteenth time.

Mossfarr Mon 12-Aug-19 10:49:58

Constantly barking dogs. I have one a few houses away from mine and it starts at 5am every morning. Driving me insane!

People who claim to have 'mental health issues' and use it as an excuse for bad behaviour. Genuine sufferers rarely mention that they suffer with their mental health.

So called 'Celebrities' who have achieved nothing, can rarely string a coherent sentence together and whose behaviour sets a shockingly bad example.

pamdixon Mon 12-Aug-19 11:23:37

people eating crisps, or anything noisy, on public transport - hate it! And I wholeheartedly agree with the comments about people on their mobile phones (either not looking where they are going/ignoring their children or dogs)
We are allowed to be grumpy monday mornings aren't we.............!

Kate51 Mon 12-Aug-19 11:25:23

Background music playing loudly over the news headlines, just why ?

Dee1012 Mon 12-Aug-19 11:29:27

People on public transport who decide their bag needs to be on the seat next to them!!
Likewise those with backpacks on who need a clearance zone around them??

Aepgirl Mon 12-Aug-19 11:30:04

Eating and drinking in the auditorium of the theatre. It’s rude and distracting.

cleo33 Mon 12-Aug-19 11:35:59

Car drivers who park six inches away from my car in an otherwise empty car park.People who attempt to cross a busy and dangerous road twenty yards from a zebra crossing.Pedestrians who look to see if any traffic coming and still walk out in front of my car.Why,why,why?

JulieMM Mon 12-Aug-19 11:37:49

Drivers who don’t indicate! Surely the easiest of driving tasks, minimum effort needed.
Yes, mobile phones.... my husband is also becoming one of the ‘phone zombies’. I cannot stand to see so many people completely ignoring everything and everyone around them for that damned phone stuck to their faces!!

paperbackbutterfly Mon 12-Aug-19 11:39:12

I agree with teetime, chewing gum should be banned. I hate seeing people who look like cows chewing the cud with their mouths open, hate the pavement covered in dalmatian spots of discarded gum and can't see any reason for this abysmal, plastic stuff.

quizqueen Mon 12-Aug-19 11:40:02

Badly behaved children ( and pets) who belong to adults who have failed in their job of raising them properly.

MawB Mon 12-Aug-19 11:43:54

Should these not be on the “Moaning “ thread?

My attitude- don’t sweat the small stuff.

Quizzer Mon 12-Aug-19 12:04:33

Parents of obnoxious children in shops and restaurants who say "If you do that the man/lady will be cross". Take responsibility, be cross with your child yourself!!

Auntieflo Mon 12-Aug-19 12:05:26

I thought this might be 'Peeves' about pets! confused

Squiffy Mon 12-Aug-19 12:08:35

So did I initially Auntieflo! That could have been an amusing thread!

sluttygran Mon 12-Aug-19 12:20:47

I agree with all the above- didn’t realise I was such an old curmudgeon!
My pet peeve is people who drop in unannounced and expect to be fed and entertained for hours (excluding family, of course, who are always welcome)
I work from home, so am apparently always available for pit-stops, fetching and carrying, odd jobs and printing services! angry

rockgran Mon 12-Aug-19 12:23:25

My husband leaving the door slightly ajar so that it "clicks" in the breeze. Either open it or shut it!!!!

jocork Mon 12-Aug-19 12:29:39

Absolutely Tanith. I live in a cul-de-sac by a primary school and some parents have absolutely no consideration for other parents and children, or for the residents of the road. They park on the yellow lines, sometimes half on the pavement despite the fact it still causes an obstruction but also means pedestrians have to walk in the road. Unfortunately until there is a serious accident, their selfish behaviour will not stop. There are too few police or traffic wardens to deal with the chaos yet in school holidays they seem to be able to make time to ticket a resident who stopped on the lines outside his own house briefly!

Recently I heard shouting outside my house as I was getting ready to leave for work. I came out to find 2 bin-men leaning on my car. A woman had been shouting at them as she couln't get past their bin lorry to get to the car park so had abandonned her car next to my parked one and walked off to take her child into school. She had accused them of 'bullying her' as they wouldn't move out of her way so the whole road was brought to a complete standstill. I managed to squeeze through the gap between her car and my next door neighbour's and get out but if there had been a couple of inches less I would have been seriously late for work! Some people seem to think the whole world revolves around them and their precious offspring and that no-one else matters at all. Rant over!

GinJeannie Mon 12-Aug-19 12:46:13

Definitely noisy eaters, and especially those who insist on talking with mouth full of food! Sends my BP sky high!