Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Puzzled by the wording

(7 Posts)
Lizzie66 Thu 03-Oct-19 15:44:13

I bought a card for my grandsons 16th birthday. It said ‘Born in 2002 now 16’ or something similar. The problem though was the year. When he opened the card, grandson chortled and said ‘But I was born in 2003’
The fact of the wrong year had not clicked with me in the shop because I thought it must be right.
After a lot of head scratching I went back and had a word with the man who sold it to me. I asked how it was possible to celebrate your 16th birthday in 2019 if you were born in 2002.
‘Well’ he said, ‘I had it all explained to me by the supplier. it all depends what month you were born in and how far the year has advanced.’
Huh? I need time to process a claim like that, so I kept it good humoured, went home and considered the conundrum.
Of course I now realise the man was talking tripe, unless he was as daft as me and taken in by the supplier’s lies, but somehow I doubt it.
If you are just 16, you must have been born in 2003...
Obviously...
Right?

Greenfinch Thu 03-Oct-19 15:48:27

Not if the card was printed in 2018. Old stock !?

Bbarb Sat 05-Oct-19 11:44:44

I was born in December 1938.
It is now October 2019

Now do the maths ...... 2019 minus 1928 = 81
BUT I AM 80

I will not be 81 until December.
(not the best wording for a birthday card)

FarNorth Sat 05-Oct-19 12:03:16

But when you get your birthday card, Bbarb, you will be 81.

Yes the guy was talking tripe and it was probably old stock.

Bbarb Sat 05-Oct-19 15:03:20

Ah! I hadn't thought of that, you're quite right.
The other day at the dentist's I was asked 'so you're 81?' by the receptionist and she couldn't understand now I could still be 80.
(as if 1 year really mattered - but it was irritating all the same!)

yggdrasil Sat 05-Oct-19 16:38:29

My son was born on New Years Eve. I have to do higher maths to work out how old he is :-)

grandtanteJE65 Sat 05-Oct-19 16:47:47

My birthday is in the end of November, so I spend most of the year being younger than people think, just like Bbarb.

That card was old stock or made by someone very silly, as I doubt it pays to publish new cards every year.