Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Cropped wide leg trousers

(54 Posts)
sarahcyn Thu 27-Aug-20 08:27:03

Any fashion gurus here?
Is it ok to wear cropped, wide leg trousers with boots? Is there another way they look “right” in colder weather?
I’ve been wearing white trainers with cropped/wide leg trousers through the summer but it’s getting chillier soon. My legs are chunky, pale and veined and nobody wants to see them, especially in winter. But tights with trainers is weird. And what about cropped trousers with black tights? Does that look right?

honeyrose Sun 30-Aug-20 13:41:37

I’m not a fan of wide legged cropped trousers either. I don’t find them particularly flattering, but that’s my opinion and certainly don’t want to offend anyone. I don’t wear trousers at all as I have a biggish tummy (look 6 months pregnant, but i’m not). Wish I felt comfortable in them. I think long trousers look better in colder weather (again, I can’t wear them though) or opaque tights and boots (knee length or ankle).

sarahcyn Sun 30-Aug-20 13:29:05

Confusedagain

I find mixing and matching whatever I already have is the best start. Have a trying on session and see what looks best for you. I would likely end up in boots either ankle or knee length. I would also wear a plain jumper over a summery dress in winter coupled with ankle boots. We can all style clothes as we wish. Surprising what can often work well.

We must be long-lost sisters...that's exactly how I dress too!

Confusedagain Fri 28-Aug-20 09:36:20

I find mixing and matching whatever I already have is the best start. Have a trying on session and see what looks best for you. I would likely end up in boots either ankle or knee length. I would also wear a plain jumper over a summery dress in winter coupled with ankle boots. We can all style clothes as we wish. Surprising what can often work well.

Urmstongran Fri 28-Aug-20 09:18:27

Thank you sarahcyn ?

Daisymae Fri 28-Aug-20 08:53:54

I've got a navy pair and although I like them I don't think that they do me any favours. It's the combination of the length and width. However I often go out with crops, walking shoes and no socks. But only to walk the dog. My daughter would have a fitwink

LadyBella Thu 27-Aug-20 21:55:26

Warm knee-length skirt or dress with thick tights and boots - so much better for winter and far more flattering. Nothing, nothing is worse than badly-fitting trousers.

PinkCakes Thu 27-Aug-20 21:49:25

I think cropped trousers of any type look daft, but the wide leg ones look like clown trousers. Not a good look on anyone.

I prefer bootcut of tapered (full-length) trousers.

MerylStreep Thu 27-Aug-20 20:46:44

CleoPanda
It's the top that's so wrong. It should be a tight skinny short sleeve look. And definitely not a slightly off the shoulder.

MerylStreep Thu 27-Aug-20 20:40:23

Spangler
Perfect ? I had the trousers and shoes when we went to a few Northern Soul nights.

Blinko Thu 27-Aug-20 20:29:51

Actually, thinking about it and despite my earlier remarks, I think opaque tights and long boots would be ok with these cropped wide trousers....

I think you'd still need to be fairly slim and tallish though...

Lucca Thu 27-Aug-20 17:42:21

“The model in Lucca’s photo” ?? How do you know that’s not me ?!

CleoPanda Thu 27-Aug-20 17:34:33

Oh dear, even the model in Lucca’s photo looks really odd and unbalanced to me.
I did try on several pairs of wide leg crops but firstly my friend laughed out loud, later, my husband guffawed loudly and finally, having snapped a photo, I admitted they looked decidedly clownish on me.
Also, I would have absolutely no idea what footwear to match.
I’ll stick with my straight full length styles.
Each to their own, if you feel good in a certain style, go for it.

vegansrock Thu 27-Aug-20 17:20:38

I have 2 pairs of corduroy culottes aka cropped wide legged trousers from Uniqlo, they are definitely not summer wear, I wear them with a belt and boots in winter.

seacliff Thu 27-Aug-20 16:52:07

I would not criticise anyone who is happy wearing them. The picture above looks great, and good for you, all you who enjoy them. I think winter weight could look good with long leather boots in winter.

Being overweight (yes all my own fault) does restrict what I wear. I try and stay with most flattering for me, not the latest fashion.

seacliff Thu 27-Aug-20 16:45:43

I personally would never wear cropped trousers, they are not flattering on me.

This year for the first time, there have been hardly any of the usual palazzo cool floaty full length summer trousers that look best on me.

No they have all annoyingly been cut off a few inches below the knee, and if you are big and chunky, it is not the best look. I am just hoping winter brings more full length styles in.

I hate it when the fashion industry suddenly decide one style or colour is in and another out. I just have to be patient and wait..

trisher Thu 27-Aug-20 16:44:53

I've got a pair of wide legged cropped trousers. I love them. They are comfortable and have great pockets. I do only wear them in summer though, so not sure about boots. All those criticising are you in straight leg or tight jeans? Well remember once not that long ago it was flares or boot cut. Some people wear things that are just coming into fashion, others only things that are established. Just because you don't have the nerve doesn't mean others have to stick with the norm.
Go for it sarahcyn and ignore the carping!

Lucca Thu 27-Aug-20 16:38:44

If you look like this that’s great !!

Greeneyedgirl Thu 27-Aug-20 16:33:26

With wide cropped trousers and knee high boots you can’t see tights Blossoming?
I think, wear what you like, does it matter! You know when you try something on if you think it’s ok or not. I know that in wide leg cropped trousers I would immediately resemble a Hobbit, but some people look fabulous whatever they wear.

Spangler Thu 27-Aug-20 16:28:10

MerylStreep

^is there another way they look right^
They've never looked right, and never will. Awful look.

You commented on my previous 'vintage look' photo. Here's another with wide baggy trousers, not cropped of course.

Nortsat Thu 27-Aug-20 16:08:44

I think winter weight crops with knee length boots would look v nice sarah. Especially if the trousers and the boots were the same colour - black with black is always a safe bet.

Or thick tights and flat Mary Janes ... or flat brogues, in the same colour - thus creating a column of colour.

janeainsworth Thu 27-Aug-20 16:07:51

sarah if something doesn’t look right on you or if you don’t feel comfortable in it, don’t wear it. It’s as simple as that.
It really doesn’t matter what other people wear, or what they think of what you wear.
Conversely it doesn’t matter if you bought something last week or twenty years ago, if you feel comfortable in it & think you like nice, just wear it and be happy in yourself.

NotTooOld Thu 27-Aug-20 14:27:39

Yep, tall boots and opaque tights would be ok. Don't be put off by others, op, wear what is comfortable for you. I wear cropped cotton trousers all summer because they are light and airy and I don't do dresses but no doubt someone would tell me I look ridiculous if I asked.

GrandmaMoira Thu 27-Aug-20 13:42:23

I thought cropped trousers were just a summer thing. I don't think I've seen anyone wearing them in winter.
Sorry, but personally I don't like them and think they are unflattering.

EllanVannin Thu 27-Aug-20 11:26:26

Call me Methuselah, but there are lots of clothes best suited to the younger members of society and I don't wish to emulate that.

twinnytwin Thu 27-Aug-20 11:05:56

I think they're great. I've made myself several pairs since they became fashionable (I sew all my clothing). Boots that go above the hem look best although I'll be keeping an eye out for how others are wearing them as the cold(er) weather hits.