Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Uncaring Careworkers/Support Workers

(73 Posts)
Primrose53 Thu 30-Mar-23 17:47:47

We had lunch in a pub today and we sat opposite a young man I guess in his 30s and a woman who was his support worker. It made me so sad because he was disabled but spoke very well and she just ignored him. The whole hour we were there she was on her phone chatting to friends (we heard her say she was working) or texting.

He kept talking to her and without taking her eyes off the phone just said “yeah, yeah” to him. He was telling her about a quiz night he was helping with and she showed no interest at all. She is getting paid to support him not ignore him. I never heard her say a complete sentence to him.

I know this goes on a lot because I reported 2 women once before. I knew a couple of the young people they were accompanying around a supermarket and I knew which day centre they were from. They were not talking to them very nicely at all, in fact, they were threatening them that if they didn’t hurry up they would make sure they didn’t get taken out again and they would take their cigarettes off them. When I got to the till and in front of other people they were putting on an act of being nice to them! I rang the Day Centre and told them and they said they would look into it but I don’t know if they did.

There are some people working with the disabled or people with learning difficulties who really just work for the money not because they care and it upsets me.

Eloethan Tue 04-Apr-23 09:17:44

I have seen this too and find it very upsetting. It's not everybody who has the patience or kindly nature to be able to work as a carer but unfortunately, because the wages are so poor, there sometimes isn't a choice. However, my feeling is that if you don't have those qualities you shouldn't be doing the job. I would report it, especially when particularly in the case of particularly vulnerable people who may not be able to speak for themselves.

Primrose53 Mon 03-Apr-23 13:12:26

cowshindtail

I was waiting for my daughter in her car for several minutes in a supermarket car park on a chilly day recently and was opposite a van with 2 care workers in it whilst the person who they were caring for was left in their wheelchair outside.This did bother me although my daughter seemed to think that the disabled person didn't have the mental capacity to be upset by their treatment.

I had similar last summer. It was boiling hot and a minibus was parked up with a couple of careworkers standing outside having a cigarette. There was one disabled man left on the bus and he was shouting to be let off as he was too hot. They told him they weren’t getting him off until he behaved himself. I imagine his family assumed he was being well looked after but he wasn’t.

MadeInYorkshire Mon 03-Apr-23 12:39:47

cowshindtail

I was waiting for my daughter in her car for several minutes in a supermarket car park on a chilly day recently and was opposite a van with 2 care workers in it whilst the person who they were caring for was left in their wheelchair outside.This did bother me although my daughter seemed to think that the disabled person didn't have the mental capacity to be upset by their treatment.

Wow! Not the point ....

MadeInYorkshire Mon 03-Apr-23 12:36:48

MerylStreep

In my own experience some managers/owners can be uncaring.
A home I worked in was taken over by new management.
One of the residents had had a dog for some years. That went.
One resident came into care after her mother died, she had only ever known her mother. She would only talk to you through her ( dead) mother alone in her room.
The management banned that.
A discussion ensured between me and the management and I was politely asked to leave as I didn’t fit with their ideas.

Good God, that's horrific!

My SIL was in care - was head of Care in a Care Home. He started in care, and loved it, and worked his way up the that post pretty quickly - then came Covid .... he was working 72 hrs a week (but was salaried and was led to believe that he didn't get O/T) he didn't see his very young children nor wife, and was exhausted, but did it for his residents who he loved. (he particularly loved being with his dementia patients, not all carers can say that) It got however that despite doing all those hours, always because they were short staffed, lost carers for not getting vaccinated, off due to Covid etc he was getting 'shouted at' for not being able to do some of the less important 'paperwork'. He would be going in at 7am, doing a days work, then going back at 10pm because the staff on weren't fully 'meds trained', coming back at midnight then starting over again the next day. Missed days off because he had to go in because there was no-one else, agency staff were at a premium during Covid, there weren't many to go round all the care homes! It got to the point where it was making him ill, then came the day when he actually wanted to hurt himself so that he wouldn't have to go in. Got signed off, then couldn't face going back there again, so care lost one of the ones they should have been keeping. He is taking them to tribunal as when he resigned we spotted in his contract that he should have been paid for those hours! I think he will win .... since his old job has been up for grabs several times, and again last week! Company is 'apparently' not-for-profit, but what they do is take any profit, which there obviously IS, and plough it back into building more and more homes - which amazingly, they cannot staff! He is now looking into becoming a Paramedic, in the meantime doing something mindless whilst something crops up. You can't be a Paramedic though unless you drive - can't learn to drive as it's too expensive, so a bit stuck ... sad that the profession, which is what it SHOULD be, loses someone who cared ...

cowshindtail Sun 02-Apr-23 22:11:02

Saetana Sun 02-Apr-23 22:00:13

Hithere Doesn't matter if someone is repeating the same thing over and over, although we do not know that was the case in this instance. My mother has dementia, when I visited my family at Christmas she repeated things over and over and we all acted like it was the first time she had said it - because that is the KIND thing to do! Anyone who witnesses a carer like this should report if at all possible, nobody should enter this profession if they are not of a caring nature - they could earn just as much or more behind a supermarket till if they are not that way inclined. This woman sounds totally unsuited to her job and should not be allowed near vulnerable people.

Minerva Sun 02-Apr-23 19:56:15

It’s people isn’t it. Most are kind but some are just there for the pay cheque and are not going to pretend that they care. It applies to teachers - 3 out of the 20 or so at my grandson’s school clearly don’t like children or, in the case of his present teacher, specifically boys), customer service agents on the phone - most are kind and helpful but every so often I come up against one who is impatient and doesn’t want to make it easy, nurses - I have had plenty of experience of hospital wards and many wonderful nurses but I complained to the ward manager about the one who when asked by the frail, skin and bone old lady in the opposite bed to mine for another blanket replied “you already have a blanket” and left her to shiver, GP receptionists - at my GP surgery there are 2 lovely smiling ones and 2 who couldn’t care less, and care workers - when I was bed-bound for a number of weeks, all but one were kind and attended to my needs. Often they were too rushed to do as much as I would have liked but only one was downright unhelpful. My mother in her declining years had three visits a day, each from a different carer. She wasn’t an easy patient but they couldn’t be faulted for their efforts to help. I could go on and on - the few bus drivers who choose not to see the person racing to the bus stop - neighbours who do nothing but complain………

It’s the great divide between the caring and the uncaring and I don’t think pay or the kind of job they have has anything to do with it, but I do think we should report what we see if we can.

Fleurpepper Sun 02-Apr-23 19:42:38

It is very different, because the persons/humans they are paid to care for are totally dependent on them for their quality of life.

Hetty58 Sun 02-Apr-23 19:21:34

Isn't it the same with any work? Some have a real interest and commitment, others just do the bare minimum for the wages. It was like that when I was teaching. So, even with lengthy training and many qualifications, some people take a pride in their work and do their very best, others don't.

Still - I really despair that our society accepts the dire lack of supervision, very low standards and wages of such vital work as caring for the disabled, elderly and small children - those who cannot defend themselves. It's all about the money, though, with people not wanting to fund services adequately.
Many must live to regret it.

Ktsmum Sun 02-Apr-23 19:04:48

I overheard a support worker on a bus with clients and a colleague, saying to her colleague that 'she
( female client) needs a bath and her tablets when we get in' no effort to provide her any dignity or respect at all. Then she proceeded to order everyone's tea on her phone so we all knew what they were going to have, makes me so cross

cc Sun 02-Apr-23 18:49:46

My daughter was a foster carer until recently and found that the social worker support for teenagers approaching the end of their time in care, a very crucial time, was virtually non-existent locally.
In theory two people were involved in her foster daughter's support but in practice she very rarely heard from them and they did not push to make the appointments for visits which are a requirement.

MerylStreep Sun 02-Apr-23 18:44:50

In my own experience some managers/owners can be uncaring.
A home I worked in was taken over by new management.
One of the residents had had a dog for some years. That went.
One resident came into care after her mother died, she had only ever known her mother. She would only talk to you through her ( dead) mother alone in her room.
The management banned that.
A discussion ensured between me and the management and I was politely asked to leave as I didn’t fit with their ideas.

Hithere Sun 02-Apr-23 17:59:57

Thank you Musicgirl, you highlighted a lot of realistic issues in the scenario I placed

It is sadly very different circumstances- having a previous relationship with the person and also having DNA ties vs being a carer with a very low wage Nd clearly not happy with the job

Unless standards of care are improved and carers feel appreciated and valued - they will do the job as their morale shows

Plenty of posters know how hard is to be a carer - they also deserve empathy

Kathmaggie Sun 02-Apr-23 17:38:11

Primrose53 you really should not have even been aware of this couple’s situation. A decent care worker should ensure their visit to the pub was a discreet, enjoyable experience whilst they chatted and did not make their relationship obvious.

Notagranyet1234 Sun 02-Apr-23 17:21:58

I worked in a social care settings for 3 years (although not a typical one). In that time I interviewed prospective staff on a number of occasions and can safely say that we had applications from some excellent staff that were devoted to the patients,
I can also comment also that paying minimum wage, no paid sick pay (SSP only) minimum legal statutory annual leave, absolutely ridiculous dependency scores for staffing and Carer burnout all explain why good staff leave and the ones that remain often are the ones that just going through the motions of caring for their clients.
Until being "a carer" is seen as a valued career with the rewards that acknowledge this it will continue to attract people who are not really interested in providing the dedication to supporting the most vulnerable in society.
I would however, like to thank all of those people who are working in the care industry. I know that you all work in a very difficult industry, with little or no recognition of everything you do to improve the lives of so many vulnerable people. You are appreciated 💓

Primrose53 Sun 02-Apr-23 17:13:27

Musicgirl

Hithere

What if this person is repeating the same info over and over again for hours?

What shall the carer do?

I have an autistic son who is in his early thirties. I have listened to his repetitive questions and obsessions all his life. I expect the same could be said for the family of this young man. This “carer” - and l use the word lightly is being paid to support him. However often he talks about the same thing she should be answering him in some way. It is very normal for someone with learning difficulties to repeat the same things over and over again and, yes, it is extremely wearing but she should do the job for which she is paid.

Quite right Musicgirl! It’s the same with people who have dementia or suffered a major stroke - they can be very repetitive. It is draining and tiring for the careworker but they ARE paid to do it. They are paid to give the main family carer some respite who has to contend with this 24/7.

MadeInYorkshire Sun 02-Apr-23 17:00:54

*Serendipity22 "I dont know who wrote the post about not having stoma training but that happened to me, i was sent a lovely lady, my first visit to her. I read the instructions when I got to her house and in black and white it stated check stoma bag. I had had no training regarding this but as it happens in my previous job I dealt with stoma bags regularly so I knew what to do BUT supposing I had no idea what to do!

That was me, it's just not fair to member of staff/client alike - "CHECK IT"? What for exactly? Checking it is no use if it's hanging off, beggars belief!

As for your tale *Primrose53 - having a stoma is embarrassing in itself without people drawing more attention to it by saying "UGH", that's just awful .... I have just come home a bit early from mums as mine was about ready to 'blow' and I just cannot inflict that on someone else, even my mother, although she would be fine, I'm not!

Musicgirl Sun 02-Apr-23 16:54:30

Hithere

What if this person is repeating the same info over and over again for hours?

What shall the carer do?

I have an autistic son who is in his early thirties. I have listened to his repetitive questions and obsessions all his life. I expect the same could be said for the family of this young man. This “carer” - and l use the word lightly is being paid to support him. However often he talks about the same thing she should be answering him in some way. It is very normal for someone with learning difficulties to repeat the same things over and over again and, yes, it is extremely wearing but she should do the job for which she is paid.

Coco51 Sun 02-Apr-23 16:38:53

I think you have to look at the apallingly low wages paid coupled with the growth in private organisations. My OH worked in Sweden rehabilitating people with mental health problems. He was trained, well paid, well resourced and travelled to conferences around Europe. When he came back to the UK all that was available to him was a minimum wage position in a private care home, where the staff sat with the residents watching television all day. When he wanted to start a gsrdening club for residents he was told he could, but the owners wouldn’t spend anything whatsoever to buy tools. In fact they were in breach of the conract with the Local authority, whose Social worker (my one-time DIL) did nothing to report back.

emilie Sun 02-Apr-23 15:39:09

HowVeryDareYou2

That's awful. I worked in the care sector for over 20 years and loved my job. I was very good at it, too, and managed to get recognition for doing good work.

It is a job that anyone can walk into - no experience required at most places, and there are lots of care agencies around. I know of at least 15 just where I live. A lot of people go into care work because that's the only type of work around, not because they actually care.

"Self praise is......." !

Jaye53 Sun 02-Apr-23 15:10:32

Wow. how degrading insulting and depressingly sad to treat a disabled person by that so called "care"worker. I would go to that cafe again too to see if anything had changed. If not would again report that person again.

Treacletoffee Sun 02-Apr-23 14:28:30

This is heartbreaking
An abuse of trust
Please report anything like this if you can. Unfortunately these jobs are often low skilled and low paid. Until we recognise just how important they are and offer good pay and career structure it will continue

Gillycats Sun 02-Apr-23 14:24:51

I’ve worked as a home carer and have been flabbergasted at the lack of care given by some workers. It was shocking. My brother had a serious learning disability and while most careers were very good, some were a disgrace. The same applied to nursing staff when he was in hospital. I have often seen carers out with clients who are blatantly shopping for themselves and completely ignoring the poor soul they’re supposed to be looking after. If they’re not interested then they should get another job!

NannaFirework Sun 02-Apr-23 14:16:23

My DM has carers come in and they vary greatly in their attitude and personalities (naturally)…
when we go to the Doctors surgery, the staff there (Nurses, Receptionists -not gps) ask my DM questions and aren’t caring at all in their manner - my DM cannot remember any thing (like name, dob, etc)…and I am constantly disgusted by their lack of care !

Serendipity22 Sun 02-Apr-23 13:16:16

I dont know who wrote the post about not having stoma training but that happened to me, i was sent a lovely lady, my first visit to her. I read the instructions when I got to her house and in black and white it stated check stoma bag. I had had no training regarding this but as it happens in my previous job I dealt with stoma bags regularly so I knew what to do BUT supposing I had no idea what to do!

I also believe 100% that continuity should take place. It was absolutely so frustrating to some of the people we used to go to, they would have numerous carers through their door, they had to explain to each 1 where this was, where that was and 1 lady of 92 was so fed up of ANOTHER NEW CARER that she started to cry, I sat and put my arms round her and said I was so very sorry. I rang the office furious that this was NOT fair, it was cruel and extremely frustrating and I told them about the lady crying,I believe that continuity is so very important. We know the person, they know us, we know if they sound off it, we know their likes and dislikes and they feel comfortable that we are in their home. When our feet step over their thresholds then we are in THEIR home...respect is paramount.