Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

What was your best retirement gift?

(69 Posts)
PreGran Mon 26-Jun-23 10:37:44

Mine was a photo book of the many fun times we had both in work and socially.
Another colleague is retiring and I'm looking for inspiration.
Thanks

Aveline Mon 26-Jun-23 10:41:50

Not so much a gift as a farewell dinner. So many colleagues had made such an effort to attend and came long distances on a dark night. I was deeply touched.
Also, a letter from a notoriously difficult client made me see that it was all, after all, worth while.

dogsmother Mon 26-Jun-23 10:42:02

Bus pass undoubtedly,
Too young for a pension and the buzz I get from having this …. I can’t tell you !

Greyduster Mon 26-Jun-23 11:35:45

A beautiful watercolour painting by a semi professional local artist of one of my favourite spots in the Peak District.
And yes, my bus pass!

Grandmabatty Mon 26-Jun-23 11:41:13

A Nespresso coffee machine as a joint gift from my best friend and her mum, both sadly no longer with us. I have a coffee every day and think of them

ginny Mon 26-Jun-23 11:48:08

Time ( mostly)to do what I want instead of what I have to.

PreGran Mon 26-Jun-23 21:30:04

Thank you, time is something I appreciate each day.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 26-Jun-23 21:46:42

I had generous gifts from colleagues and clients but the best were time, not setting the alarm and a head free from everyone’s deadlines and demands. Peace, perfect peace.

Harris27 Mon 26-Jun-23 22:01:30

Oh I so look to retiring. Don’t feel old just feel tired and need to do something for me. All very inspiring!

lixy Mon 26-Jun-23 22:09:14

A bird bath - hours of free entertainment!

rafichagran Mon 26-Jun-23 22:20:44

The meal, a inscribed wine glass, and lovely earings which were made for me.

I will also add the freedom pass and not getting up to the alarm clock.

Beetlejuice Mon 26-Jun-23 22:42:20

An old fashioned, physical photograph album of all my colleagues, with a written message underneath each one. They also included photos of staff get togethers, Christmas parties and away days at theme parks and staff picnics. I really do treasure that above all the other gifts I received.

Oreo Mon 26-Jun-23 23:16:17

Harris27

Oh I so look to retiring. Don’t feel old just feel tired and need to do something for me. All very inspiring!

Me too, not due to retire for quite a few years yet so can only dream of it, but what I would like as a gift would be a huge bouquet of flowers and a whole load of vouchers😊

grannycakes Tue 27-Jun-23 06:46:00

I had vouchers from my colleagues and bought myself some Apple airpods - I have used them every day since I retired nearly 2 years ago

sassysaysso Tue 27-Jun-23 07:21:13

Freedom

BlueBelle Tue 27-Jun-23 07:21:40

I had a few small personal things from colleagues ( some flowers, a necklace, a bottle of cider my favourite tipple, just daft things really) nothing from the bosses of course (NHS) and a nice big card signed by all
It all went over my head because I wasn’t celebrating I didn’t want to retire I was 68 and felt no where near ready to hang up my boots from a job I loved, so I was sad and felt as if life ended It had also happened very suddenly I was given to expect two more years then suddenly my wage was needed for two juniors so they was no expectation no build up just a short few weeks My mum and Dad both died the same year I had to take a couple of weeks of each time so I guess that’s where their decision came from

However 10 years in I m as happy as Larry still working albeit for no money and about 20 hours but I am still going strong

Enid101 Tue 27-Jun-23 07:56:29

I was given a drill as I’d said the first job I was going to do in retirement was to replace all the door handles in the house. Delighted with my gift!

travelsafar Tue 27-Jun-23 08:01:18

Mine was a bright red Roberts digital radio. I can use it on the mains indoors or by battery in the greenhouse. It usually sat in the kitchen but now is in the spare bedroom as I now have an Alexa in the kitchen. I also have one in my bedroom too. So I have music where ever I go!!!.

travelsafar Tue 27-Jun-23 08:02:36

Oh yes I forgot I had 2 tickets to Highclere to do the Downton Abbey tour. My sister and I went and we loved it.

silverlining48 Tue 27-Jun-23 08:06:33

Retired on ill health with No gift or even farewell after 20 years as a social worker which affected my confidence badly. However having time to myself and freedom from What was a stressful job was gold.
Here I am in bed looking and listening to the sea under my window is priceless.

TillyTrotter Tue 27-Jun-23 08:12:04

A new sewing machine. I use it often.
I was made redundant from the last job I worked at and some of the redundancy money paid for it.

Jaxjacky Tue 27-Jun-23 08:12:34

The words in my card and those from my director who came down from his office to sit on a desk and sing my praises as I turned beetroot.
I took early retirement and was off to France again having had a 6 month unpaid leave of absence there the previous year.
My job was a new role, I’d thoroughly enjoyed it for nine years, but it was the right time for me to leave.

shysal Tue 27-Jun-23 08:45:22

Monogrammed stainless steel garden fork and spade plus a pair of walking poles. I am still putting them to good use. However, the most treasured item is the card filled with good wishes and comments (most of them sincere smile).

rubysong Tue 27-Jun-23 09:21:41

A large bowl, made by a local potter, with my name and dates on it.

Redhead56 Tue 27-Jun-23 09:30:14

Nothing I worked with my DH on our own business the reward is not doing it anymore. I appreciated our customers and the living we have but the lack of routine now is much more appreciated.