Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Fiona Phillips has Alzheimers aged just 62

(60 Posts)
Primrose53 Tue 04-Jul-23 22:01:10

Just announced. Both her parents had it and I read her book about how her Mum died in her 50s and then her Dad was diagnosed. He was affected very badly and his house was a mess, he was always getting picked up by the police as he wandered miles and Fiona was trying to bring up her two boys and hold down her TV job. She ended up giving up her work so she could spend more time with her family.

I really hope her decline is not too rapid as she is a very caring, homely person. She is on a new medication so fingers crossed.

Casdon Tue 04-Jul-23 22:43:09

Very sad, I saw the Dispatches programmes she did for Channel 4 a few years ago about Alzheimer’s, she knew there was a high probability she would get it as both her parents did. I hope the drugs work for her and she stays as well as possible.

BlueBelle Tue 04-Jul-23 22:45:04

Whos Fiona Phillips ?
Is Alzheimer’s genetic ?

Casdon Tue 04-Jul-23 22:50:09

Look her up, you’ll know who she is, she was a very well known presenter.

Yes, people who have a parent, brother or sister with Alzheimer's are more likely to develop it too. The risk increases if more than one family member has the illness, as was the case for Fiona, and either genetics, environmental factors, or both, may play a role.

Siope Tue 04-Jul-23 22:50:28

She’s a journalist.
And yes, in a variety of ways www.nia.nih.gov/health/alzheimers-disease-genetics-fact-sheet

tanith Tue 04-Jul-23 22:54:58

Always liked Fiona a good down to earth lady. It’s not unexpected but very said I hope the new drugs she’s on help slow the progress. What a truly awful disease.

tanith Tue 04-Jul-23 22:55:52

Sorry for the typo that’s ‘very sad’ of course.

Siope Tue 04-Jul-23 23:00:36

She may not be on any medication. She’s in a trial, and some participants will therefore receive placebos.

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Jul-23 23:06:56

Siope

She may not be on any medication. She’s in a trial, and some participants will therefore receive placebos.

As she's relatively young to develop Alzheimer's and there's a strong possibility it is genetic in her case, I hope she is a candidate for receiving the new drug, not the placebo.

I hope the new drug proves successful and everyone can subsequently be given it.

Casdon Tue 04-Jul-23 23:08:50

Siope

True, although she may be, even if for the trial she is on a placebo, as we don’t know if this is an additional drug to an established treatment, or a stand alone drug. Whichever, I wish her the best outcome.

Kate1949 Tue 04-Jul-23 23:10:11

I've just read that her mother, father, grandparents and uncle all had Alzheimer's. Good luck to her.

Shinamae Tue 04-Jul-23 23:21:52

Always liked Fiona, very sad news…🥺

Siope Tue 04-Jul-23 23:27:07

I have just written a nice answer to Casdon and lost it to that damn Aldi advert.

Anyway, I said you are correct. Interview in the Miirror suggests she’s on some symptom masking drugs which won’t slow progression, and a treatment trial where she may be receiving a placebo

And agree re hoping for effective safe treatments.

Katyj Wed 05-Jul-23 06:29:22

Such a shame. I always liked Fiona she cared very much for her parents and had a very long and upsetting time. Good luck Fiona.

BigBertha1 Wed 05-Jul-23 06:43:48

It is indeed very sad for her but she is such a bright and positive person In sure she will go on campaigning and raising awareness of this very sad condition

GrannyGravy13 Wed 05-Jul-23 07:13:24

How very sad, Alzheimer’s is such a cruel disease.

crazyH Wed 05-Jul-23 07:23:24

Isn’t she the one married to Martin Frizzel , head of ITV or something like that , and who recently made some tetchy remarks to reporters ? Poor man, no wonder !!

BlueBelle Wed 05-Jul-23 07:57:16

Ahh I ve remembered Fiona Phillips now but I haven’t seen her for years but looking at the programmes she’s on I don’t watch any of them so that’s maybe why 😂. Just couldn’t recall the name and face but I did as I was told and googled her 😂

Yes very sad a heavy family history what a shame

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 05-Jul-23 08:07:14

I remember her taking some tests that would show whether or not she was genetically predisposed to get the disease, I think that at the end of the programme she left the envelope with the results unopened. Such a shame.

Blondiescot Wed 05-Jul-23 08:08:14

Alzheimer's (indeed, all dementia) is such a cruel disease. I lost my own mum to it several years ago, and then on Friday, we also lost my MiL to it. You effectively lose your loved one twice - first as the disease slowly robs them of everything which made them 'them', then again when they finally die. It terrifies me. Poor Fiona and her family. My heart goes out to them.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 05-Jul-23 08:09:13

crazyH

Isn’t she the one married to Martin Frizzel , head of ITV or something like that , and who recently made some tetchy remarks to reporters ? Poor man, no wonder !!

She is married to Martin Frizzel who is the boss of This Morning.

HeavenLeigh Wed 05-Jul-23 08:14:37

So very sad really feel for her, and of course Martin and her family, so young! My dad died of Alzheimer’s I looked after him for many years, it’s something I dread for myself and other members of family, wishing her all the very best I know she was really scared she might succumb to this cruel disease.

NanaDana Wed 05-Jul-23 08:16:55

Alzheimer's is such a cruel disease, and relatively early onset, as in Fiona's case, is particularly hard to bear. Many of us here will have first hand experience of it's impact on family or friends, and it can be devastating. Some progress does appear to being achieved with treatment, but there's still an awful long way to go before we gain any real control over it. Thinking of Fiona and her family at this very difficult time.

halfpint1 Wed 05-Jul-23 10:52:12

M

halfpint1 Wed 05-Jul-23 10:54:35

MiL had it for 10 years before she died, a lovely lady, it was tradgic.
It is now linked to diabetes and being referred to as Diabetes 3.