Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Heavy Breathing

(44 Posts)
ExDancer Wed 13-Sep-23 10:37:24

No, not the kind you might hear on the phone ....
We're woken up around 4 - 5 most mornings by the sound of heavy breathing outside the bedroom window (bungalow). Its really loud, so not a small animal like a dog or a fox, more like a cow and we can't think what it might be.
However softly we creep to the window, which is open, there's no sight or sound of it.
Could it be a badger? Do they breathe heavily?

nanna8 Wed 13-Sep-23 10:42:44

If you were here in Australia I would say it was a possum. We get it every night along with loud thudding as they run across the roof.

BigBertha1 Wed 13-Sep-23 10:50:54

A friend had badgers in her garden and they co9uld be heard beathing from inside the house.

Floradora9 Wed 13-Sep-23 21:37:06

In my mother's later years she used to have bad lung problems. She would try and phone me and leave a message if we were out. She always missed leaving a message but I knew it was her by the heavy brreathing .

ExDancer Thu 14-Sep-23 11:05:40

We'll settle for badgers then.
A bit of a worry, we live on a farm and have cows. The issue of whether badgers spread TB is unfinished with good arguments from both sides about it and I don't want to start an argument for/against culling here.
All the same, I'm a bit worried. If we have even one cow affected the whole herd will be culled, and no compensation. It would bankrupt us.
(yet I still don't agree with killing badgers)

ginny Thu 14-Sep-23 11:16:49

Hedgehogs often make a lot of noise too.

25Avalon Thu 14-Sep-23 11:23:00

If it’s badgers there should be a sett nearby. Also badgers tend to rootle and make a mess digging up parts of your garden. One way to know for sure would be an infra red camera.

sodapop Thu 14-Sep-23 12:17:11

The night camera is a good idea, my friends did this and it was fascinating to see all the nocturnal wild life in their garden.

aggie Thu 14-Sep-23 12:27:26

Hedgehogs would be my guess

Juliet27 Thu 14-Sep-23 12:31:45

I agree aggie

shysal Thu 14-Sep-23 13:41:13

I agree it was probably hedgehogs.
www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?&q=Hedgehog%20Sounds%20&mid=1AF050A841E8C295577F1AF050A841E8C295577F&ajaxhist=0

AreWeThereYet Thu 14-Sep-23 13:48:46

I agree it could be hedgehogs, we can hear them in the garden even when we can't see them. Although I don't know if we would hear them through an open window unless they were very close. But the badger makes quite a bit of noise too - we only see it once or twice a year and it never digs up the garden. I think our garden is just en route to wherever it is going.

shysal Thu 14-Sep-23 14:11:00

I used to have badgers in my garden every evening and have never heard them huff and puff. My attention was drawn to them for the first time by the chomping noise they made eating the baby frogs from my plant pots! Thereafter I gave them peanuts until rats discovered them, and unfortunately had to stop encouraging wildlife.

Callistemon21 Thu 14-Sep-23 14:55:58

ginny

Hedgehogs often make a lot of noise too.

They also know how to put the outside lights on as well!

Callistemon21 Thu 14-Sep-23 14:57:14

shysal

I agree it was probably hedgehogs.
www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?&q=Hedgehog%20Sounds%20&mid=1AF050A841E8C295577F1AF050A841E8C295577F&ajaxhist=0

😂😂😂

MayBee70 Thu 14-Sep-23 15:53:17

When I’ve had hedgehogs in the garden it’s usually been late evening @11pm. They also made a whistling noise but that’s because there were two of them talking to each other. Maybe put a hedgehog feeding station outside with cat food in: if it is hedgehogs anything larger won’t be able to get to the food.

Oldbat1 Thu 14-Sep-23 16:01:03

Believe it or not hedgehogs can make lots of noise breathing and snuffling.

kircubbin2000 Thu 14-Sep-23 16:45:21

Not breathing but as soon as I get into bed I hear a noise like a helicopter overhead or a loud motor nearby.
When I open the window there is nothing there so it must be coming from indoors.
There is nothing obvious left on so I have no idea what it can be. When I wake in the night it has stopped.

shysal Fri 15-Sep-23 11:41:06

kircubbin2000

Not breathing but as soon as I get into bed I hear a noise like a helicopter overhead or a loud motor nearby.
When I open the window there is nothing there so it must be coming from indoors.
There is nothing obvious left on so I have no idea what it can be. When I wake in the night it has stopped.

My combi boiler runs for a minute of so every now and again when the heating is off. I think something to do with readying it for hot water running. I am aware of it at night and don't settle until it stops.

ExDancer Fri 15-Sep-23 11:45:53

That sounds weird kircubbin.
I've listened to the sounds of hedgehogs and badgers on here (UTube and such) - but the noise I hear is neither.
Its a slow breathing in and out, a bit like a human sleeping.
There's no scuffling in the pots under the window.
When I first looked out of the window I fully expected a cow to have escaped and got into the garden.

Callistemon21 Fri 15-Sep-23 11:50:46

kircubbin2000

Oh, me too, I began to think I have tinnitus but I can't hear it downstairs when all is quiet.

Callistemon21 Fri 15-Sep-23 11:51:14

Callistemon21

kircubbin2000

Oh, me too, I began to think I have tinnitus but I can't hear it downstairs when all is quiet.

A freezer on automatic defrost?

eddiecat78 Fri 15-Sep-23 12:01:48

Just to say that one night my elderly father phoned at 2am saying he could hear water rushing in his loft - he'd already been up the loft ladder (!) to investigate but couldn't trace the leak. OH dressed and went to help (fortunately not far). Turned out it was not a leak but Father's tinnitus

Delila Fri 15-Sep-23 12:11:11

I heard very loud huffing and puffing sounds outside my window one late night this week and discovered a pair of courting hedgehogs circling each other on my lawn.

Hoping for hoglets on or around 11th October (gestation 32 days), and fingers crossed the weather will be kind to them🤞🏼

SynchroSwimmer Sat 16-Sep-23 11:11:29

I have a similar thing in a very shallow roof space between the tiles, having excluded other things I’m wondering (if the similar noise to yours) could be bats.