Gransnet forums

Health

Vaginal atrophy

(110 Posts)
Marelli Wed 09-Jan-13 17:21:35

I've just had a phone call from my friend who was really upset. She's been diagnosed with Vaginal Atrophy and her GP (female) says she'll just have to put up with it - it's her age....hmm. My friend (E) has had breast cancer so cannot have HRT.
She asked me to look on the internet to see if I could find out about any treatment that might be suitable for her. However, I feel that she has been treated very badly by her GP and should ask to see another doctor in the practice. She's reluctant to do this as all of the others are male.
I feel as if she has been really badly treated.

Lapwing Thu 08-Jan-15 18:47:30

Crafting - replens was discussed on the 'Skin thinning - down below' thread - the last posting was at 14.26 pm. There were some helpful posts on there.

Rowantree Thu 08-Jan-15 18:38:06

Thanks. Iam64 and Crafting for the reference about Replens. I will definitely try that smile

Iam64 Thu 08-Jan-15 18:36:32

Rowantree, I had to stop using Vagifam after a small bleed. It was great, while it lasted and the bleed meant I had a check up at Women's Health - which was very reassuring.

Crafting - I returned to using Replens, it's available on prescription, free for those of us old enough to qualify for free prescriptions. It helps so much with all the discomfort others have described so well smile

Crafting Thu 08-Jan-15 18:30:51

Sorry not read through all this thread so it might have been mentioned already but what about Replens. Can be bought in most chemists, has an applicator, you can use it 3 times a week or more and can also just dab a bit on (or in) anytime of the day. It works well as far as I'm concerned.

Rowantree Thu 08-Jan-15 18:24:04

I've recently plucked up courage to see my GP about this very subject. It's been causing me misery for ages. She prescribed Canesten, followed by Vagifem. I'd been wary of using them for ages because they caused spotting and I've been told they can cause thickening of the uterus, but I don't know how big a risk that is. I am terrified of cancer - my mother died of it aged 66, which was far too young - but the GP wasn't convinced there was a risk and encouraged me to try these pessaries for a few weeks at least and to return if the breakthrough spotting continued after the first week or so. I'd just like to feel a bit more 'normal' and not suffer from the constant soreness and sometimes cracked and bleeding skin. The canesten seems to have improved the situation but it remains to be seen about the Vagifem - only just started using it! - and I still don't know what risks I'm running cancer-wise. It's useful reading what other people have posted here and in another thread though.

Coolgran65 Thu 08-Jan-15 15:18:43

Thanks for reviving this thread.....Just what I need to read.

janerowena Thu 08-Jan-15 15:06:35

grin

I found the other newer thread first, so thanks for reviving this one. Forewarned is forearmed. I'm not surprised there is so little help, so many women used to be brought up not to speak of 'such things'. Their own parents were only perpetuating the misery, so sad. If no-one asks Drs about it, why would they bother to keep their knowledge up to date?

kittylester Thu 08-Jan-15 14:54:09

At the moment these threads about vaginal dryness are followed by the Dry January one which just makes me feel uncomfortable!

Iam64 Thu 08-Jan-15 14:26:47

Thanks Rowantree for resurrecting this thread. I missed it last time around, don't know how and am 'looking forward' to learning even more about vaginal atrophy sad

kittylester Thu 08-Jan-15 14:15:14

Well done Rowantree.

Rowantree Thu 08-Jan-15 13:33:26

Yes.

TriciaF Mon 19-May-14 16:41:07

Thanks Mamie - I'll ask him about it.

Mamie Mon 19-May-14 16:19:18

Tricia, I have Trophigil, which works fine. I get it from my doctor on prescription.

TriciaF Mon 19-May-14 16:13:32

Glad to see this thread resurrected as I've found my online supplier has packed in recently. (Vagifem isn't available in France, and the alternative , Physiogine, isn't as good.)
Hoping I can get som Vagifem prescribed when I next visit UK. And if so I'm going to try to manage with the 10mcg.

Nelliemoser Mon 19-May-14 12:54:30

rosesared Yes I have to use special shower gel as well. I was diagnosed years ago I went to see a woman GP thinking I had an infection and she diagnosed it as AV straight away. I have been on them for years and the 10mcg seems to work if I remember.

As KittyL commented I was finding walking difficult as well.

This is one of those informative threads that needs resurrecting every so often.

rosesarered Mon 19-May-14 11:56:56

It's hard to believe that women are putting up with such discomfort because they are afraid to talk about it.My female GP prescribed Vagifem the moment I described symptoms [a couple of years ago] which alongside Boots own brand lubricant and not using any scented products in the shower , has made a world of difference.Clean only using water, that helps.The Vagifem did used to be 25 and are now 10, and that caused probs, so I spoke to GP and she said use one every day if you need it. I experimented with how often I needed to take it, [every day caused headaches]so I now have 3 times a week, or every other day and that works.Good luck to anyone with this problem, it's a very common prob and nobody should put up with it.

MelissaB Mon 19-May-14 11:22:16

Has anyone had experience with using Hyalofemme? I got a recommendation from a friend, but would like to hear more opinions.
Thanks!

TriciaF Sun 02-Mar-14 10:59:39

Just to say that I use Vagifem, still 25micrograms, every 3-4 days. For V.A. and recurrent UTIs. Not just after intercourse.
My doctor sends me for breast and cervical exams every year.

lifecycle Sat 01-Mar-14 17:30:08

Cate if you're still reading this! I use Yes! Have for several years, and it is fabulous. Have just noticed no-one seems to have answered your question.

kittylester Mon 30-Sep-13 16:01:47

And me Nellie. I'll let you know how the new treatment works.

I saw a different GP this time and she asked me if my problem was only with intercourse - she looked slightly shocked when I said it made walking problematic. grin

Nelliemoser Mon 30-Sep-13 15:17:08

Having a " break" or "forgetting" is what causes me problems.

kittylester Mon 30-Sep-13 14:16:46

My GP said don't use them more often and try to have a break. I have no contra indications but the minute amount they prescribe makes me believe that they are paying for them out of their own pocket grin

Nelliemoser Mon 30-Sep-13 14:01:56

Hello Kitty wink Yes here I am! The new lower dose 10 micrograms (or whatever they are) don't seem to help as much as the 25 micrograms. I now just use them more often.

kittylester Mon 30-Sep-13 13:45:43

I was using Vagifem for quite a while which is a low dose, topical HRT but, since they altered the dosage, I've had to think again (or rather my GP has!) I've now got some pessaries called Orthogynest (I think). If it's really VA rather than just dryness I think that HRT is the way to go.

Nelliemoser might be along in a minute with some more info! grin

JessM Mon 30-Sep-13 13:40:22

Yes this is a dormant thread and yes, why not re-animate it. Not like vaginal problems have gone away...
Just had a look - appears to be a good product to try - no perfumes or other additives it a big plus if you have ever tried the revoltingly synthetic fragranced ones that durex do.