Gransnet forums

Health

Wright's coal tar vapourisers

(82 Posts)
PRINTMISS Sat 09-Feb-13 07:51:12

Does anyone remember these - I have a terrible cough/cold at the moment, and sorted mine out from about 50 years ago! Had it when the children were small at the advice of the doctor, and they work a treat, although you cannot get them now, I believe. Anyway mine was out again last night a bit the worse for wear, but had a great night's sleep. They are 'lamps' rather like a miner's lamp. Round, about 8 inches high, with a hole in the base for a night light - an oval hole in the side, and on the top a container with a hole at the top for a block which soaks up Wrights coal tar vapour, the night light warms this up, and the vapour is really soothing. I think 'elfnsafety might have something to do with not being able to get them any more. I will not be able to use mine after this time, as we have now run out of fluid.

Nelliemoser Fri 15-Jan-16 08:54:25

They are not made any more and were considered potentially harmful.
They did work though.
It's a long time since people took their children with whooping cough down to the gas work to breath in the coal tar fumes.

Indinana Fri 15-Jan-16 08:54:35

They are two different things PRINTMISS. I wasn't suggesting otherwise confused

PRINTMISS Fri 15-Jan-16 15:48:47

Sorry Indinana, I was just making a point, for those folk not familiar with either the vapourisor or the humidifier, not inferring that you were saying they were one and the same thing. The spoken word is so much easier sometimes!

Mollie2013 Sun 20-Jan-19 23:27:17

My children where very very ill with croup doctors left them until they got worse my mum and dad brought me the old coal tar lamp and I put it on the landing an hour before bed on plate of water and it was that that cured them both before that both their Lil stomachs where sucking in and they had stridor in therror next day after using the lamp they where a lot better and when I run out of liquid if mine was that I'll again I would go and stand where I needed to xxsmile

BBbevan Mon 21-Jan-19 06:31:00

We had one and it was very effective. I loved the smell. Also I liked the smell of the coal delivery lorry. I would stand with my Mam breathing in the smell while she counted the bags in.

travelsafar Mon 21-Jan-19 08:20:06

I remeber these, we had one for my eldest son who would suffer with his chest.Loved the smell it pervaded the whole house. Looking back i guess they were a huge fire risk reallyhmm