Gransnet forums

Health

Joint pains after stopping hrt

(35 Posts)
MargaretWhittock Thu 23-Jan-14 16:20:14

Having been on hrt for approx 15 years (am now 61) I stopped taking it last September as I was required to do so prior to an arthroscopy on my knee. I have stayed off hrt since, with all the symptoms of menopause returning and not easing off. While I can mange the flushes and sweating the worst thing of all is joint pain ... While I was quite fit and healthy (apart from my knee) before Sept I now feel about 90, with pains in all my joints but particularly in my hips and legs. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how have you dealt with it? I was on a very low dose of hrt previously and am seriously considering going back to it ... though I'd hoped not to. Please help!

Iam64 Thu 23-Jan-14 18:06:11

There is a long thread discussing the benefits/costs of HRT somewhere on gransnet. In answer to your question yes, coming of HRT does lead to menopausal symptoms, but for me and a couple of my pals, the joint pain was the worst.
I heard a piece on the news recently in praise of long term hrt use, given the many benefits. I suspect we're in one of those phases where the benefits are being seen as outweighing any health risks. No doubt, that'll change again.
I'd do a bit of research, and go back to see your GP
good luck

MargaretWhittock Thu 23-Jan-14 20:21:37

Thank you. I think I will be returning to the gp as you suggest!

gustavoedwards Thu 30-Jan-14 06:11:02

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

jamesonmedical Tue 15-Apr-14 11:34:24

yeah its very hurting moment when our joints are not working properly, this causes more to us.

grumpy7 Mon 12-May-14 20:09:35

I am 68 and was on HRT for 15 years. I felt wonderful. My doctor kept advising me I should stop, mentioning the risks of breast cancer and heart disease; so I stopped gradually. It is now two years since I stopped taking HRT. I have been on several anti-depressants and my joints are stiff and aching. I have hot flushes and restlessness but I can deal with these. Just what is the point of feeling so dreadful for the rest of my life. I am willing to risk the chance of disease and live the rest of my life feeing well! Has anyone been put back on HRT or bought them online?

jeroglu Tue 08-Dec-15 13:42:38

I am so pleased to read the above! I totally agree with the writers and have suffered exactly these symptoms after years of taking Nuvelle Continuous. After discussion with my GP I have decided to go back on HRT as I can't stand the joint pain, sleeplessness and hot flashes but it's the joint pain which finally decided me. I have always been very fit, have three allotment plots, dance swim and walk everywhere. I am really concerned that I might have waited too long for the pains to settle down and could have done myself some real damage. I do hope not!

granjura Tue 08-Dec-15 13:58:33

I have been suffering from pain in the calves and my knees had got a lot worse (I am not on statins- stopped those 2 years ago as my cholesterol is excellent) - and the pharmacist advised me to take magnesium, which I have been doing for last 2 weeks. Results have been quite dramatic and fast- worth trying perhaps?

Teetime Tue 08-Dec-15 14:36:10

Thankfully my GP has said I can stay on HRT as long as my B/P is Ok - I stopped for a foot operation and felt all of the above- I'm staying on.

Crafting Tue 08-Dec-15 18:47:08

My goodness I never thought about the effects of coming off HRT in relation to joint pain. I was on HRT for 5 years post hysterectomy but came off it at my GPS insistence due to the risk factors. I too am struggling with the hot flushes but worse is the pain in my hips and shoulders and wrists. I will now look into this further. Thanks for mentioning it.

JessM Tue 08-Dec-15 19:08:43

Joint and muscle pain is listed as a "symptom of the menopause" on NHSChoices.
I hate that phrase "symptom of the menopause". Partly because it makes it sound like a disease.
But also there is endemic confusion between:
the menopause = the periods stopping
the perimenopause = time around the periods stopping
post menopause = after the periods have stopped.

But given that HRT tops up your oestrogen level, no reason to expect that some of the things that are caused by low oestrogen will fail to appear when medication is stopped.

NiftyNana43 Mon 07-Aug-17 00:11:53

I took HRT (Prempro) for 20 years, and developed blood clots in my lungs a year ago. I weaned from the HRT quickly after that, and was on Xeralto and Xanax for a few months. Fortunately, my blood clots were provoked by the HRT, so I only had to be on the blood thinner a few months. Since being off HRT, I am experiencing painful joints and nerves. Has anyone experienced this, too? I'd like to know what you are doing to relieve the pain, other than medication? I am not a big fan of drugs. I am taking Lexapro which helps a lot with anxiety. I also take Magnesium, Chondroitin, Veggie Glucosamine, D3, and a blood pressure med (Norvasc). I might add that my meds are only 5 mg. per day! I have a sensitive system and can't tolerate many meds, and especially large doses!

Teetime Mon 07-Aug-17 09:25:12

Well I'm on this thread earlier saying I was staying on HRT but I had to come off it in December after having a bleed and subsequent investigations which thankfully apart from an ovarian cyst were OK. However I feel older, slower- pain is about the same as I have arthritis and a connective tissue disorder anyway. I don't take any supplements just try to eat healthily (mostly) and take plenty of regular exercise.

Lazigirl Mon 07-Aug-17 09:48:42

I am on low dose HRT which my GP wanted to discontinue. I researched all current medical evidence, went armed with that plus taking into account medical and family history to GP. She had to agree that I could continue. Yes there are risks taking HRT long term, but in my case I felt that quality of life was more important. I think we should be able to make informed decisions on our own health and well being based on good medical evidence, not tabloid scare stories. GPs are understandably concerned about being sued when things go wrong so are usually very cautious.

paddyann Mon 07-Aug-17 10:02:11

I'm staying on HRT for life.My consultant agrees with me says theres no reason why I should have to come off it.I had multiple gynae issues and HRT sorted them all so why woud I ever risk getting them all back .The benefits far outweighe the risks

devongirl Mon 07-Aug-17 10:10:12

I do urge you to read this, ladies, before you decide to continue with HRT because of joint pain:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/3268764/HRT-can-increase-the-risk-of-needing-a-joint-replacement.html

Lazigirl Mon 07-Aug-17 13:12:59

This "study" is observational, and has many flaws. I would urge anyone interested to go back to source and not necessarily rely on medical journalist reporting alone.

devongirl Mon 07-Aug-17 13:37:24

ard.bmj.com/content/68/7/1165

I am an author on this paper lazigirl, perhaps you would like to clarify what you mean by "study" in quotes and observational, and has many flaws

devongirl Mon 07-Aug-17 14:44:23

lazigirl, could you please answer my post? - thanks

devongirl Mon 07-Aug-17 16:14:58

lazigirl, could you please answer my post? - thanks

Lazigirl Mon 07-Aug-17 17:32:56

Sorry devongirl. I looked on NHS site and from what I can remember. it said that it was taken from Million Women Study and that it was not proved that HRT was the cause of the osteoarthritis but there could be other variables, and that it was a review of other research. Sorry if that isn't correct. Didn't reply before as visiting mum in hospital. I am part of Million Women Study by the way.

Lazigirl Mon 07-Aug-17 17:41:55

Have looked at the bmj link you provided and it it not what I previously accessed so I have to apologise particularly as I said that you should go back to the source to check evidence! Indeed it concludes that hormonal and reproductive factors may play a part, but reason unknown.

devongirl Mon 07-Aug-17 18:52:41

Thanks very much, lazigirl smile

Lazigirl Mon 07-Aug-17 19:09:06

After reading the above research am now reviewing my own HRT because I have had arthritis of knee and hip for years which I believed was actually improving with HRT. I am not quite at stage of needing hip/knee replacement yet and assumed it was genetic as my mother is crippled with it. Oh dear!

paddyann Mon 07-Aug-17 19:23:17

Well I'll take the word of my very experienced Gynae consultant and I'll be staying on HRT ,My sister came off it when her GP said 10 years was too long and then she went to the gynae clinic and was put back on it at 66 ...she is also on it for life .Makes no sense to me to believe the scare stories which change regularly,the risk of heart disease and cancers is very small ,in my mind its a risk worth taking