Gransnet forums

Health

Total Knee Replacement

(173 Posts)
pompa Sat 20-Sep-14 18:48:29

Oh dear what have I done. just had my knee replaced (Tuesday afternoon). Home today and feeling very sorry for myself, why on earth did I do it. The hospital assure me it will improve, but they would wouldn't they. My poor wife is running around after me, she is an angel.

ginny Sun 11-Sep-16 15:26:00

Oh Gosh * Phobes* that sounds awful. I hope you get it sorted out soon.

I have had both knees done 2 years ago (five months between each one). Luckily , I am thrilled with the result. I have also lost just over 3 stone in weight, with some more to go, which of course helps. I feel and look 10 years younger. The best bit is being without the pain.

annsixty Sun 11-Sep-16 17:06:11

I have just re-read this thread just to reassure myself.
It is 5 weeks tomorrow since I had my TKR and I have had no physio yet, I go for my first session tomorrow. This seems so contrary to the experience of others. I had no physio in the 3 days I was in hospital, just fitted with elbow crutches on day 2 and she watched me walk down the ward and back and my bend measured on day 1 and just before discharge. On both occasions it was only 75 degrees. I was given an excersises sheet and that was it. After reading all this I am not looking forward to tomorrow.
I still have pain and a lot of swelling but have cut the painkillers down to one Zapain( 500mg paracetamol and 30mg codeine) 4 times a day. I can walk with one crutch for about 15 mins but not without discomfort and can't stand for very long.
I feel I am lagging behind somewhat, the really good side however is the relief from the dreadful pain I had before the op.

Charleygirl Sun 11-Sep-16 17:16:20

ann I think that you are coping extremely well. I certainly was not able to walk for 15 minutes using 2 crutches 5 weeks post op.

It all depends what part of the country you live. I had "hospital at home" for a week after discharge and I had the physio visit on the day after discharge followed by a nurse who came to check my temperature and wound. The physio only came I think for 4 days as he thought that I was fine. I am hoping that the money has not run out and this service is available when I have my left knee operated on.

I think that it was at least a couple of months since discharge before I had weekly physio but I had a distance to travel, could not drive so had to rely on a neighbour.

Maybe I was lucky, my knee bend was at least 110 degrees on discharge.

Wobblybits Sun 11-Sep-16 18:17:41

Annsixty. You are doing well, Knees do take a while. it was over a year before I felt that mine was as near normal as it would get. The physio will help a lot (but expect some pain from those nasty physios)

Nona4ever Sun 11-Sep-16 18:49:14

I promise that I'm trying to be positive here, but my experience of TKR has been awful. I had one done 6 years ago and was told by my consultant that it can take between 1-5 years before things improve. So, although things hadn't improved I had the other one done after a year, reckoning that the 1st one still had 4 years to get better. It didn't. Nor did the second one. I now attend a pain clinic at a hospital and have all manner of treatments which help in varying degrees. Sometimes. You must be wondering why I said I'd be positive. The only thing I suspect I did wrong was not keep up the physiotherapy exercises RELENTLESSLY. I thought I was doing OK with them but clearly not. Push yourself to do them for a lot longer than you think you need them. I just wish that someone had told me that.

Nona4ever Sun 11-Sep-16 18:50:02

PS - they're not called physio-terrorists for nothing!

Wobblybits Sun 11-Sep-16 18:57:16

grin

jennybumble Sat 20-Jan-18 11:38:28

Good morning,
I have had 2 hips replaced under general anaesthetic and am having a new knee on Feb1st but am terrified of a spinal block, don’t know why. Any reassurance would be welcome. Hope you are getting better Pompa

Deedaa Sat 20-Jan-18 21:57:01

I had my second knee done with a spinal block and it was fine. I was a bit shocked when it was sprung on me on the morning of the operation but it was a very attractive anaesthetist and I was putty in his hands grin I was sedated beforehand so I kept falling asleep and just woke up every time they took my blood pressure. Afterwards I sat chatting to a nurse for half an hour before they took me back to the ward. By that time the spinal block was wearing off and I started on morphine.

Marionp1 Sat 22-Sep-18 12:54:38

I had a TKR end of July this year, it is painful to start with and you need to keep up the meds and ice the knee several times a day. Now nearly 8 weeks on I am walking without a stick or crutches for a reasonable distance, went swimming yesterday. No longer on painkillers. The most crucial thing is to keep up with all the exercises you are given as I have done this and amazed at how suddenly after a few weeks I had so much more movement. No longer need an extra pillow to rest leg against in bed. Good luck and keep on with the physio! You will soon be back on your feet and walking unaided.

Romil Sat 06-Oct-18 12:30:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

annsixty Sat 06-Oct-18 12:54:16

There is nothing like personal recommendation!!!

jura2 Sun 07-Oct-18 15:35:50

I was not keen at all on spinal block and really wanted to be 'out of there' for full knee replacement. The aneasthetist really persuaded me that it was so much better than a general- especially as my first one was a complicated case that would last about twice the time of a 'normal' case. He promised me he would 'put me out' if I panicked or asked him during the op. I am so glad he did- and I was totally fine- with my favourite music on the MP3, and some Valium type stuff. Had second one done the same, without hesitation- much shorter this time. Noise and smell a bit disconcerting, but no problem at all.

Romil Thu 11-Oct-18 08:23:37

I think you find the best knee replacement center fir knee problem..

Chickenjoe Sat 08-Feb-20 08:56:49

Good morning I had a total knee replacement done three weeks ago I'm sure my progress and pain! Has been pretty normal but was wondering about how long to carry on taking pain killers I'm only on Paracetamol but feel I need it every four hours?

Barmeyoldbat Sat 08-Feb-20 09:53:59

I had one done 18 months ago and its the best thing I ever did. The one bit of advice I was given by a physio was to keep it moving to stop the scar inside from becoming stiff. Best advice ever and I was back on y bike cycling 7 weeks after having it done.
I bought one of those little cycle things and every evening when sitting watching tv and I would put my feet in it and and pedal, slowly , away. Just a tip.

mike28939 Sun 09-Feb-20 23:29:10

I am not sure if I'll be lucky enough to find my soulmate on this forum, it will be dream come through, I have been single nearly all my life, spend more than half of my life chasing my dreams and career and i never regretted it anyways.At this point in my life right now i need a loving and caring woman in my life, I want to wake up next to my soulmate every morning for the rest of my life. My line is opened to receive a message from that special woman who will give it a chance for us to date and build something really great together and enjoy every beautiful moments that is ahead of us together, here is my line 6317694098...Cheers....

Chickenjoe Sat 15-Feb-20 10:00:26

Four weeks post op still pretty uncomfortable nights are long and difficult to sleep as can't get knee comfy does anyone have any good tips?

Farmor15 Sat 15-Feb-20 16:45:50

Chickenjoe - my OH had both knees replaced last spring. He continued to take max dose of paracetamol for at least 6 weeks and some ibuprofen as well sometimes. He got a loan of stationary bike and used it a bit as well as some physio. Otherwise he didn’t do anything special. After 3 months we went to France on holidays for a week and did quite a lot of walking and after that he was almost completely recovered.

Delphie Mon 02-Mar-20 12:36:34

This is 6 weeks into my second total knee replacement. My knee is really painful still, very stiff too even though I have been active & walking earlier than my first knee op. Sometimes in the night it seems as if its working on its on accord when I try to get out of bed to go to the toilet. It is agony I cant explain. Until I move it physically & walk , its dreadful, Today I am in a lot of pain when walking,I do not think I had this in my first op. Has any on else had this ?

5531stuart Wed 11-Mar-20 11:37:01

Hi, I'm 9 days post op, like yourself sore and stiff but I suppose that,s to be expected. Got aches in places I never knew I had. I take it that it,s normal to feel a bit down so soon after the op.

SadafGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 11-Mar-20 11:56:23

Just wanted to say welcome to our forums 5531stuart, sorry you've had to go through this surgery but hopefully you will find support on our boards. Get well soon!