Gransnet forums

Health

Sciatica relief

(48 Posts)
jenn Tue 23-Sep-14 12:21:45

Help....
Sciatica is driving me mad and the pain is unbelievable, the simplest things have turned into endurance tests. The mornings are worse, getting up is so painful and getting dressed is a pantomime. I walk the dogs and swim and do my horse but the pain has taken all the pleasure away.
The doctor has recommended pain killers but they are not doing anything apart from making me constipated!
Physiotherapy,acupuncture,chiropractice,oesteopath.....which one do I go for?

Izabella Wed 29-Aug-18 23:50:09

A sports physio is a good first point of call but you must do the exercises religiously.

A helpful hint when riding is to ride without stirrups if you can and allow your legs to stretch down. If you can't at least lower the leathers down a hole or two. I also found lying prone in bed helped. Good luck

soundsystem311 Sat 08-Sep-18 17:33:37

Hi Similar, situation. I had a L5-S1 discectomy performed in 2013. Before the operation I had numbness in my achilles tendon and a prickling sensation in the tops of my feet.

I find hot tubs, swimming and staying active to help keep the back loose as well as yoga and pilates. I believe the best thing you can do is to try and stay active! I usually perform that cat stretch and use a foam roller at least twice a day. Here's a post also I found that has some good stretches for sciatica sciatica-solutions.com/best-stretches-for-sciatica-relief/

NanKate Sat 08-Sep-18 17:42:49

What worked for me was acupuncture, about 4 or 5 sessions.

Also if you can get down on all fours and slowly stretch out one leg behind you and then the other leg. Do this a few times. Then lie on your back and curl up in a ball if you can and rock backwards and forwards. This can open up your vertebrae. I make sure I am near a sofa so I can pull myself up.

Best of luck.

Johnieboy Thu 25-Oct-18 16:08:30

I tried acupunture but i also used Acuraflex cream and capsules. It realy worked for me. Those two together did the work realy good.

vetrivel Fri 30-Nov-18 14:33:18

How to handle bulging disc?

Please advice.

Symptoms are really matching as sciatica.

morethan2 Sat 01-Dec-18 09:27:12

A really good osteopath. We’re lucky here and have a highly acclaimed school of osteopathy who need a constant supply of sufferers. A few years ago they had my husband pain free and up and running after four sessions. The only problem is that your often gawped at by a group of student while standing in your underwear, but who cares as long as it helps the awful gnawing pain. Hope your pain free before too long.

travelsafar Mon 03-Dec-18 08:36:26

I ened up a year later having a spinal nerve block injection. It seems to be working, i still have some numbness in foot and a slight pinch at back of knee but the constant pain in my back has gone. I have three discs which were causing the problem so i was lucky they injected in the right place first time. I would push for an MRI scan so you know exactly what you are dealing with.

Victoria17 Wed 12-Dec-18 06:06:03

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lindagreen Mon 17-Dec-18 05:39:40

I know the feeling all too well! I've suffered from sciatica for over 4 years now and at times it truly feels as though nothing ever works. I've been dreading having to take drugs or undergo any type of surgery but it looks like I may have no choice sad I recently started out with some simple stretches I got at curedsciatica.com/2018/03/02/sciatica-stretches/ and they have helped a lot. I'm really looking for something to get rid of my sciatica for good so I'm going to start looking into natural remedies. We just have to hang in there! Inch by inch it's a cinch!

Struggling2019 Wed 16-Jan-19 23:15:01

Just developed Sciatica or I think that's it bent down to pick up a towel and "twang" My back went " most agonising pain I have ever felt, went into hospital was petrified to move from hospital bed to wheelchair so stayed in hospital bed for 4 days didn't eve ngo to number 2 toilet, as a person nwho suffers from extreme panic attacks and anxiety attacks you can imagine the psychological consequences of back and anxiety combined, couldn't overcome moving from hospital bed to wheelchair or even lie flat to get a scan got a xray but they said I needed a scan, to see what it is doctors said Sciatica, but I am not feeling any pain in legs only lower back on top where buttocks is, anyway they gave me tremidol and different types of pain killers which caused me to freak out more, didn't like the feeling of being high so I refused pain killers lol, eventually plucked up courage to walk to toilet and decided that I wanted to go home, as was feeling uncomfortable in hospital asci am a person who stays up late, and likes to watch TV, eventually got into ambulance and wheelchair as the anxiety of having a back spasm again petrified me, so I was having out of control panic attacks worrying about going into a back spasm from wheelchair to house from ambulance, anyway finally got into wheelchair and from wheelchair into house ambulance men carried me up to my room at my house, and I am finally in bed, massive psychological transition have to adjust being back at home in my comfort zone, doing exercise in bed raising knees and keeping body active hopefully will be able to start walking but petrified of going into spasm again, if I walk about any ideas?

sciaticawarrior Mon 21-Jan-19 01:54:38

thanks for sharing. i have a success story. i suffered from sciatic nerve pain for about 8 years. I tried everything short of surgery. It was only when i started doing yoga and focusing on strengthening my core did i actually see results. I now manage my pain very effectively. My current workout routine can be found here: www.sciaticawarrior.com/sciatica-workout/ . hope this helps!

Catworzel Thu 14-Feb-19 09:49:32

I agree with the gentle stretches for sciatic pain as I’ve had bouts of it for years. I initially wasted a lot of money on a chiropractor but eventually found that yoga stretches were the answer. Most physio exercises are yoga based anyway and I’ve been going to a hatha yoga class on and off for over 30 years. I know my limitations and have to modify some poses but it’s the best thing for controlling sciatica.

Porge Sat 30-Mar-19 11:54:06

Oh I am so filled with hope reading your message - I have just joined the forum. I am hoping that I can have an operation, I am in such pain and am practically be ridden now - this time last year I walked across the whole of the middle of England with a pack pac, used to swim twice a week and was training for the Bath half! It has got worse and worse and finally I am being referred to a spinal unit but coping with the pain is proving SO difficult during the wait. No drugs seem to touch it. Thanks for listening/reading

SueH49 Sun 31-Mar-19 06:33:34

My first point of call for pain is my excellent Physio, she keeps me walking and relatively pain free apart from occasional flare ups in various body parts. In Australia we don't seem to have the delays in getting appointments with either GP's or associated medicos and so I am able to have treatment quickly in the case of something happening. The exercise given to me by the Physio for sciatica was to roll a tennis ball with the buttock on the side the pain is for 3-5 minutes several time a day. Then while sitting pull the leg on the affected side on to the other knee and stretch the area from the back through the buttock and thigh.

Thomas12 Tue 02-Apr-19 15:50:10

I got an accident last year when I lift a box that made me pain my lower back but after two week the pain is gone.

Last month, I start to pain my lower back again after I clean the swimming pool and it's getting worse. It pain from lower back down to right leg and also pain when I cough. So I decided to see a doctor. Doctor suggested me to do MRI scan. Then I did it and it showed that I have Herniated Disc on L4 and L5.
I don't know how to add photos here so that I can show my MRI scan photos
Then I read a lot of article how to get better, any treatment without surgery because I am afraid about it. I am going to do treatment almost everyday.

I have to do L-Traction,Electrical stimulation and do some exercise.
I also find a lot of information from websites but some movement is too hard for me.
So I do only Back Extensions and Plank. Thank for info www.health-treatmentcenter.com
I also find this in youtube that very good as well bit.ly/2Ubyzbt
Now I am getting better about 80% and I have to do exercise to make strength for my lower back.
I am very lucky that I find this problem early so I don't need to do surgery.
I hope my information will help you guys to deal with Sciatica and Herniated disc.
Now I have an idea to write all information and make video how to do exercise to share to people for free. PM me if anybody interested smile

Pamela45454 Mon 15-Apr-19 01:52:29

I did not think that anything was going to work for me but somebody told me about Nubotany Hemp Oil and IT WORKS!!! I suffer from the worst migraines, sciatic nerve pain, arthritis, two busted knees and plantar fasciitis and when I take this oil I feel like a new person. This first time I took the 30 drops as per the directions I think it was too much for me so now I take 10 drops in the morning in my coffee and then 10 drops for lunch in my ice tea. My husband uses to have to help me out of bed and now I am able to get up by myself. I am able to finish projects in my house that I wasn't able to finish before this oil. I can walk my Rottweiler every day and I think he is happy about that since I wasn't able to walk much.

Googie4 Wed 07-Aug-19 01:13:25

My first post, so please be patient and if my wife or father in law reads this. Please don't be too critical of my grammar.
So at the moment I truly sympathise with all you suffering now and future suffering readers of this post. For the last ten days I have been at my wits end in pain with sciatica. Having played impact sport most of my life, I thought I'd experienced pain! How wrong was I?
As with most of these things, no one cure is going to be good for everyone, but let me share my experience. I have Piriformis Sciatica, left side, pain shooting down my left buttock & down my leg.
My first mistake, dont try & live with it & wait for it to go away. Also, & my second mistake, don't try heat pads, that will inflame the injury. Do go to a doctor, however they will generally only give you medication and tell you it will go away with time. Time is not a great healer, action is! If you know a good chiropractor or physio they may help if they have the experience. The best advice I got from a physio that I'd seen the day before was : "Call an ambulance". Now, I know that we dont like to waste the NHS time. However by this time I was in absolute agony. It turned out to be the best thing I could have done. You see, I had been lying on my back for days trying to keep from agrievating the nerve. There is only one way to get rid of it and that is to walk about, but how do you do that when walking only makes the pain worse. Gas & Air, that was the answer, and two paramedics who understood my predicament. They gave me enough to get myself up and walking about for 15 minutes and this seemed to alleviate the pressure to allow me to get up every hour to walk as far as I could, each time pushing it a little bit further. Dont get me wrong, it hurt like hell & I didn't go far. The kitchen to the lounge was a marathon. Next thing is research, but not so much on Google, it's too "matter of fact" and overloaded with "experts". Try You Tube and particularly Bob and Brad (physiotherapists). Find someone who you can relate to.
Also treat yourself to a TENS machine, Med-Fit1 on Amazon is inexpensive and helps a lot. Tens machines don't seem to be an exact science, you'll need to experiment by placing pads in lots of different positions, it will take lots of attempts unless you are lucky, and your unlikely to feel lucky if you have Sciatica. Again, refer to Bob & Brad.
What I have learnt is that most of our daily routines seem to be adverse to having a healthy back. Today I tried to load the dishwasher, it occured to me that everytime I pull down the door, or bend over to load or unload it, my back is in the bent over position. Then I looked at my kitchen cupboards, the lower ones almost invite you to put your back out. We need to change our habits to stop Sciatica. Or maybe try something else.
Personally I'm going to try Tai Chi, when I'm over this. Yoga might be better, but not sure I was ever that flexible, & sure I'm not now.

Ashman Thu 28-Nov-19 13:44:55

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GrannyPansy12 Wed 18-Dec-19 13:52:43

Oh, wow! I feel you! ?

Sorry to hear you have to go through all of this...

I know this post already has some good suggestions, but just in case you still need another solution, I felt compelled to post. I used to treat people for sciatica problems and ended up trying quite a few online programs. Out of desperation, I accidentally found something that worked really well called "Sciatica SOS".

Everyone I have recommended this to since I discovered it has been amazed at how well it works. You should definitely check it out!

Dealing with back pain in general can be incredibly difficult, especially if it is evolved into sciatica. If you want to get relief that lasts, you need to find something that addresses the cause of your problem.
There are many guides to curing sciatica online, but the Sciatica SOS program is unique if you ask me. It worked like a charm for me during my last 2 pregnancies.

To get relief from sciatica in 7 days - take a look at Sciatica SOS.

It's a program for providing people with relief from sciatica that is backed up by hard scientific evidence. All of the information in this guide is rooted in medical fact. It is partially based on a centuries old drawing by Leonardo da Vinci that details the anatomy of the back. It contains some incredible insights into how the human body functions that can be used to relieve even severe back pain.

This program doesn’t require you to follow a rigorous exercise routine or use any nonsensical methods. It was created by a doctor who is one of the world’s leading authorities on sciatica.

I just did a quick Google search, here's an awesome review I found of Sciatica SOS (I'm not affiliated to this site): www.nomoresciatica.info

Hetty58 Thu 19-Dec-19 09:30:41

I found that private physiotherapy was the only thing that helped. I had ten sessions (£500) while waiting for the NHS physiotherapy. I was terribly disappointed with that. No massages, assisted stretches or ultrasound - just a quick chat and a printed page of exercises to do!

Hetty58 Thu 19-Dec-19 09:32:52

CBD oil (under the tongue) was a good pain reliever, without the nasty side effects of Codeine.

Jeanine Wed 07-Oct-20 09:19:31

Dear ladies, my husband was dying of pain caused by sciatica.
I read here most of the things i know today sciatica-treatment.co.uk