Gransnet forums

Health

Codeine withdrawal

(54 Posts)
pompa Mon 24-Nov-14 08:15:06

I have reported on other threads that I had no side effects from long term co codamol use. I have been taking small doses 2-4 /day for about a year and large doses 8 /day for the last 10 weeks. On medical advice I tried reducing the dose, and as I found it made no difference to the pain, I tailed them off over 2 days and stopped on Friday.
Big mistake.
I have been suffering horrid withdrawal symptoms, flu like symptoms and awful stomach cramps.
I didn't expect this. When I first started to get the cramps on Saturday, Mrs. P suggested it could be because U had stopped taking the tablets, rubbish I said. However I had to eat humble pie when I googled the symptoms of withdrawal.

Now I don't know whether to re-start taking them or just work through it. Got an appointment with Doc to discuss it this morning.

If you are taking co codamol, get medical advice on how to withdraw.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 29-Sep-21 08:47:52

I thought I would resurrect this old thread as DD has been on Codeine since her knee op, she has Arthritis in her other knee and is waiting for another op, also very bad Arthritis in her hands.
She has been slowly coming off of Codeine and was down to 5 a day (quite a low dose) as the pain was either getting worse or the pills were not as effective and she was worried about taking even more.
On Friday she developed Gastritis (caught gastritis?) and wasn’t able to keep down any fluids, by the time I was able to look after her on Sunday evening (I had DD1 and GCs here) she was dehydrated and very poorly, after a visit to the hospital she was given an injection and pills to stop the nausea, they haven’t worked very well and I was worried about dehydration, so I’m still trying to get fluids into her although they don’t stay down for long,
I mentioned to the GP at the hospital and also her own GP yesterday that I was concerned about the sudden stopping of the Codeine, each time they just ignored the question.
Having read this original post, she is now having all of the symptoms of going ‘cold turkey’ and is having a really rough time, palpitations, raised BP, hot and cold sweats, restless legs, jittery, diahorea, last night for the first she was able to keep some fluids down that, sadly, I am insisting that she drinks regularly but she is still unable to sleep, I hope to goodness it stops soon.
Anyone taking Codeine please beware. I don’t know what pain killers she will take when she is gets over this but she insists that she will take nothing but mild pain relief.
I’ve heard so many stories of celebs going into rehab due to prescription drugs, I guess I will now have more sympathy!

Sago Wed 29-Sep-21 10:57:55

I have a friend who went cold turkey after 3 years of high doses.
It was 5 days of hell and then eventually things got a lot better..
Good luck.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 29-Sep-21 11:53:04

Thanks, I resurrected this old thread as it has some useful advice on it, I wish I had spotted it at the weekend then I could possibly have separated the Gastritis symptoms from the Codeine problem.